Northern Soul In Newton Aycliffe

Chalky

Many of us got together for a reunion late 2014 at the RAFA Club in Newton Aycliffe, it was a great night and so many of us still frequent venues and some have stellar record collections.

Kev Roberts kindly provided some OVO for the night so the old DJ's from the Youth Centre could do a few spots.

amazing how our small town has so many NS devotees!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Correction

The mid 80,s to the early 90,s were actually well represented with Soul Nights, The North Brit at Aycliffe Village was revived and many nights were held there, myself, Gaz Simon, Pete Foster and Paul Haigh ran that many, many nights, and after that The Sports Club or better known as The Cricket Club was ran by the aforementioned plus Baz Atkinson, a couple of Niters were held during that period at The Gretna where amongst others Rob Marriott was persuaded to come up to "Weetabix City" as he called Aycliffe, If you add to that (I know its not Aycliffe, but just down the road) Col Denham and Al Coneys Bishop Auckland Rugby Club and Cricket Club nights, the era was very busy and pushing the records being played at Stafford, Mexborough, 100 Club and the other top nighters at the time, making sure the new and progressive side and sounds of the Soul scene were being implemented in the area

Kev 

Edited by kev cane
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Juniorsoul

Rafa is mentioned, the period mid 80,s early 90,s was not

I'm just talking about now mate.

Great venue, friendly people, tremendous music.

As for the 80's/90's I wasn't there!

Social source share

I went to one of the Centre, Newton Aycliffe allnighters, I think it was the week after the first Wigan Anniversary in 74. I'm sure that one room was northern, and in the other they showed Diamond Are Forever!!!! Worst part about it was after jumping the train to get there, got caught on the way back and had to go to Court in Leeds just before Christmas(with Dad in tow because I was 16).

Paul

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Every time I visit UK I try to get up to Newton Aycliffe.  DJ'd twice each at RAFA and the BIg Club - a friendlier bunch of people you couldn't wish to meet, some of whom I now count as friends.  And as Jim G said, some extremely impressive collections up there (one in particular!)

Cheers.........Pete

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Unfortunately not uncommon - sad that this underground period is almost always missed. Newton Aycliffe mob were everywhere you went during that period. 

Rafa is mentioned, the period mid 80,s early 90,s was not

Social source share

Correction

The mid 80,s to the early 90,s were actually well represented with Soul Nights, The North Brit at Aycliffe Village was revived and many nights were held there, myself, Gaz Simon, Pete Foster and Paul Haigh ran that many, many nights, and after that The Sports Club or better known as The Cricket Club was ran by the aforementioned plus Baz Atkinson, a couple of Niters were held during that period at The Gretna where amongst others Rob Marriott was persuaded to come up to "Weetabix City" as he called Aycliffe, If you add to that (I know its not Aycliffe, but just down the road) Col Denham and Al Coneys Bishop Auckland Rugby Club and Cricket Club nights, the era was very busy and pushing the records being played at Stafford, Mexborough, 100 Club and the other top nighters at the time, making sure the new and progressive side and sounds of the Soul scene were being implemented in the area

Kev

I attended quite a few of the soul nights both in Bishop Auckland and Newton Aycliffe in the early/mid 1990's. Superb nights and music policy was absolutely bang on with incredible line ups. Back to Alan Coney's later with the Scottish crowd and the boys doing the business then Dean, Kitch, Franc, Guy... Magic times to cherish x

Social source share

Remember Chris Ashby doing a spot at the Cricket Club then we all travelled across to Carlisle for the niter. Chris pulled a cracking set!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!