Gene Washington & The Ironsides "got To Get Through To You"

Illusive

Maybe this time the run won't be limited to just a few hundred Chalky as I think the groups appeal to the US market is pretty big, but I've no sense of the numbers involved so you may be right. Still the bulk buyers might also come unstuck and end up with discs they can't shift. Only time will tell I guess.

Social source share

Maybe this time the run won't be limited to just a few hundred Chalky as I think the groups appeal to the US market is pretty big, but I've no sense of the numbers involved so you may be right. Still the bulk buyers might also come unstuck and end up with discs they can't shift. Only time will tell I guess.

Lets hope so mate. Hopefully the press is simply a rerun with same matrix as well and not a repress   :wicked:

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The label owner and the group are now aware of the problem with buying the 45 from their website and are busy trying to resolve the error, so get your shillings ready as it should be available very soon for those that missed out on the first run.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

I've been waiting for over two weeks for mine. Is that usual?

Sadly, yes. I know they've moved in recent weeks, and are in the process of opening up a record shop. Even before then they've always been slow at dispatching items. You'll probably get a free copy of the Colemine cd as apology for the delay. I've three of them now!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

this is a great record,no doubt about that but at one point some were selling this for more than it would cost to buy the original TSU release,and its not as good as that in my opinion,i must admit i havent played the other side though,perhaps thats great too hence the occasional high price ?

jason

Social source share

this is a great record,no doubt about that but at one point some were selling this for more than it would cost to buy the original TSU release,and its not as good as that in my opinion,i must admit i havent played the other side though,perhaps thats great too hence the occasional high price ?

jason

The other side is fab, one of the tunes of the year for me, but as it's not a dancer I doubt it's that pushing the price up via the DJ fraternity.

Cheers,

Mark R

• Helpful 2
Social source share

jason

They just exploit others mate.  It only cost them a fiver and to mark it up to £40 some were asking is taking the piss IMO.  Glad to see it came out again to put a stop to it. 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Is it taking the piss Chalky ?  I personally purchased ten copies wholesale . I do this on most new release 45's from USA as I have regular customers who  purchase  new 45' s in the 5.99 - 9.99 bracket .

Everyone else has that equal opportunity.   Why don't they do that  ?

Don't know - maybe time restraints or  financial restraints prevent them ?

The  Geno Washington 45  sold out pretty quick on the initial 500 press - mainly in Europe and the USA .

When I put one copy  up on the forum for £35 last year - could have sold this x 20 times over from the demand at that time .  Was also offered £50 to gazump that sale but first come was first served as always.  

So it's all about supply and demand -   I think the prices paid for some rare ( allegedly ) funk and modern bits from the 80 's , 90 's are ludicrous as I bought them as new releases  as many did at the retail price of the time - but again supply and demand inflates these to astronomical proportions. 

No one forces these prices to be paid or twists the arm of the buyer  - it' s all about collectors making that decision , and justifying the price whether right or wrong.   Don' t you agree ??? 

Edited by glynthornhill
Social source share

£9.99 is a fair price, £14.99 would have been fair.  But I saw it listed at £25 whilst it was still for sale at $4.99 from the label website.   Yes it is supply and demand but sometimes though collectors don't have a say in what they pay though, the decision is taken out of their hands and greed on the part of the seller sometimes plays a part.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

£9.99 is a fair price, £14.99 would have been fair.  But I saw it listed at £25 whilst it was still for sale at $4.99 from the label website.   Yes it is supply and demand but sometimes though collectors don't have a say in what they pay though, the decision is taken out of their hands and greed on the part of the seller sometimes plays a part.

Agreed , but why pay £25 when it was available for $4.99 plus mail direct from the website.   Don't get peoples mentality there when it was readily available .....  Maybe some are slow to acknowledge or hear these 45' s......By the time they decide they would like a copy it's deleted gone , and demand as increased . Funny how some only want a 45 when it's deleted .  Same situation happened with recent Solutions, and Bileo 45's respectively ..... 

Suppose it's similar to the prices we see reached on a weekly auction site that gains many comments here along the lines of :  

How does he get those prices?

Who pays these prices ?

There is one for sale at half that price  etc etc.....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Agreed , but why pay £25 when it was available for $4.99 plus mail direct from the website.   Don't get peoples mentality there when it was readily available .....  Maybe some are slow to acknowledge or hear these 45' s......By the time they decide they would like a copy it's deleted gone , and demand as increased . Funny how some only want a 45 when it's deleted .  Same situation happened with recent Solutions, and Bileo 45's respectively ..... 

Suppose it's similar to the prices we see reached on a weekly auction site that gains many comments here along the lines of :  

How does he get those prices?

Who pays these prices ?

There is one for sale at half that price  etc etc.....

I agree Glynn the buyer often leaves me scratching me head :D

Social source share

Really Steve ?

All the Ovides and Atlantic's I've got say Toronadoes, but the poster does says Toronados as does the Rampart 45 ?

Must have been lost  in translation or a typo when they signed with the big boys :lol:

Dave

Edited by Louise
Social source share

Really Steve ?

All the Ovides and Atlantic's I've got say Toronadoes, but the poster does says Toronados as does the Rampart 45 ?

Must have been lost  in translation or a typo when they signed with the big boys :lol:

Dave

Yep, Cal Thomas told me how they got their name….definitely named after the car.  :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...

Sadly, yes. I know they've moved in recent weeks, and are in the process of opening up a record shop. Even before then they've always been slow at dispatching items. You'll probably get a free copy of the Colemine cd as apology for the delay. I've three of them now!

I'm still waiting for mine and received no reply to my email. Do you know if they're still experiencing problems?

Social source share

I'm still waiting for mine and received no reply to my email. Do you know if they're still experiencing problems?

That's annoying! Checking their Facebook page, I see that they've not made any updates for getting on for six weeks. I can only guess that they're busy with the new record store or something.

There should be no excuses though, a customer is a customer and an order is an order, and if they carry on like this they'll build a bad reputation for themselves. That said, I trust them to deliver… eventually.

Here's the Facebook page. Might be worth contacting them through that.

https://www.facebook.com/Colemine45

• Helpful 1
Social source share

they are very slow at shipping. I ordered once from them, had not seen anything for almost 4 weeks (im in USA) and wanted to order a newer item. I contacted them asking if the first order had shipped as I was hesitant to order again when I had not received the first. He asked what else I wanted to order, I told him the 45 I wanted and they said " don't worry about it, ill throw in the new 45 at no charge and ship it with your first order". package took 3 more weeks to arrive and did not include the 2nd disc I wanted. I will now order from 3rd party and pay a few dollars more for the product. I know other who have had same experience.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

I experienced an issue with an order from this label, the reason given was a email fault, the label owner contacted myself and allot of others and send a cd and additional single with my initial order... Which was great fully received, but it's mighty strange this is happening again Tony...

Unfortiunay all the extra work is undone, cause if you can't trust you will get your orders, folk simply won't order...

Real shame

Mal

Social source share

I still haven't received anything and had no new responses, I won't be dealing with them again!

Terry Cole posted the following on the Colemine Facebook page earlier today:

Dear Colemine fans:

We will no longer be shipping international directly from our site. Juno (UK) and HHV (Germany) will be acting as our unofficial online retail outlets in Europe now.

The last couple months I have seen a large (100+) number of international packages turn up missing or be returned to me after months missing. This makes the customer angry, this makes me angry and ultimately it's bad for everyone involved because it delays all orders.

This is a one-man show on the business side and I wish I could afford the time to ship direct to our international fans. But the last two months my evenings have been consumed by refunding money for records I know I shipped only to get them back in the mail weeks later. It's frustrating to say the least.

If you're one of the folks waiting a package or response, trust me I'm going through each of these orders one by one to make it right. It's laboring but it's the only way I can sleep at night.

I appreciate everyone's support and understanding.

TC

Happily for you, you won't have to deal with them again. 

<added> Guess it'd make sense to link to the Colemine FB page… here:

https://www.facebook.com/Colemine45

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

Thanks Russell, I appreciate Terry has had bad luck with the post, an email from him would've been enough.

I wouldn't call 100+ missing packages bad luck, I'd call it an absolute nightmare.

Still, got to agree that better communication with customers would have helped soothe them. At the same time It might even have helped alleviate some of the pressure a little. Got to feel for the guy regardless.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...

I got one from him for the normal $4.99 price via eBay - Buy It Now on the 4th of April, which finally turned up just over a week ago - although he didn't mark it as shipped until the 15th.

Not a blue one though, just the regular black stuff.  :P

Advertised as "Brand new from the factory box. I should know, I own the label. Don't pay more than $10 for this in eBay"

It doesn't look like he sold many there as there's nothing up for sale at the moment and he only has a very low feedback of 14 at the moment, which does suggest he gave the idea of selling on there up?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's a shame the group could not come up with something new, as good as "Got to get through to you". 

It's a good cover, but it's still a cover version, and not quite as good as the TSU original.

I wish USA could produce another Curtis Mayfield, Van McCoy, H. B. Barnum, Smokey Robinson, Horace Ott etc.

Someone who has the brilliance of these classic masters of Soul!

Social source share

Still enjoying both sides of this release from last year but particularly the A side. Hope they do an album or at least another single or two, certainly doing a good few gigs in the States by the look of their FB page, covers or otherwise.

Also radio interview here from last year on Bandcamp and very decent guest playlist they chose that day too, worth a listen.....links here to both  :thumbsup:

https://kusforg.bandcamp.com/track/interview-gene-washington-the-ironsides

https://kusforg.bandcamp.com/track/guest-mix-gene-washington-the-ironsides

Edited by 71 Steve
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Claire Moirano

Excellent record, I have one from the first limited release and only paid £6, if my memory serves me correctly. I'm not bothered that is a cover, it's a fabulous record that makes me want to dance. If they are releasing more copies, that's fab, as more ears will get to own it and enjoy. X

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!