Music In Bbc R6 Documentary

Guest ManOfMystery

Guest ManOfMystery

Hi. I was a pre-Northern-Soul club-goer in the NW, but I moved down to London in mid 1968, where the music scene was more oriented towards West Indian music (rock-steady and reggae). That meant I missed being in on the early 70s Northern Soul scene. I have to admit that many years later, exploring Northern Soul via CDs, YouTube, and the like, I found many of the tracks touted as 'classics' to be bland...

I know, I know, that's a shocking thing to admit on this forum, but I'll carry on...

I have continued to listen to Northern Soul, more out of interest than anything else, to see what tracks we of the older crowd from the late 60s might have missed because they were never made available in our day. One or two tracks have got under my skin, the rest remained... interesting. However, the other day I was listening to the three BBC Radio 6 documentaries on how the NS all-nighter culture developed. I was particularly struck by the music that was played in the background during episode 2 (concerning the Golden Torch and the Blackpool Mecca). Unfortunately the BBC did not publish a list of the tracks in that episode, or in any of them, for that matter.

I wondered if anyone had listened to that episode and had noted down the names of the tracks. Many of them were instrumentals, but not all of them. If anyone can identify them and would be kind enough to list them for me, I would be very grateful. The programme is still available on player.

Thank you - and I salute you all for 'keeping the faith'.

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

From Memory......

Luther Ingram - Exus Trek (instro).

Doni  Burdick - Bari Trak  (instro)

NF Porter  - Keep on Keepin' on.

Eddie Parker - Love you baby.

James Fountain - 7 Day Lover.

Edited by Zed1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

In addition to Zed, I also heard:

Aint No Soul (In these old shoes) - Major Lance

Come on train - Don Thomas

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest GeoffB

I think most of the songs have been mentioned however may I just say that the songs from the second and third episode were great!

It's such a shame that they cut out after ~30 seconds to go onto talking. :/

Social source share

Guest ManOfMystery

Thank you all for the listings. BTW even if I had listened ten times I wouldn't have recognised any of them - that's why I asked. :)

Now to go looking for the full tracks...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!