Biggest Letdown After A Great Intro

Soulstu

Credit to Benji for the idea.

For me it's 'I'll Hold You' - Frankie & Johnny - The best British soul intro ever - 2 bars of blistering tuba/trombone (?) and then beautiful sparkling chimes (twice) that then disappear followed by....well the rest of 'I'll Hold You', and it's not all that is it, really.

or 'I Wanna Know' - John E Paul - another great British intro, then it all goes a bit jerky and uncomfortable

..exactly the same with The Sherrys 'Put Your loving Arms Around Me' / Little Joe Cook - great intro, then goes a bit 'stiff'

what d'yer reck??

Social source share

• Replies 49
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

"California Soul" by The Messengers.  What a fabulous group of background tracks.  Much stronger instrumental than any other Motown release of that song, including The Messengers' album version.  What a shame the vocal is so weak.  I would have liked to hear a Soul version by a female Motown artist sing this one.

Social source share

"Shit"- "Fantastic".... ha, couldn't be more opposites

Makes the world go round  :lol:

I just listen to the backing track of that record and think, these guys are trying to invent Northern Soul, forget the vocals for a bit and concentrate on the backing track, probably not even Ray Merrell singing on it

Social source share

Here's most if it Robb - definitely same backing track - I just had it as 'unknown artist' - Ian Levine told me it was by Blinky

attachicon.gif29 Till The End Of Time.mp3

I would say this is definitely one of the best intros I've ever heard

I don't like it as much as The Metros' version  (BOTH vocals AND instrumental). But, it's very good.  Also, that woman doesn't sound like Blinky Williams to me.  I think it's a Pied Piper artist, but I can't place the voice.  The instrumental sounds different (mix).

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Lady, Lady - The Colt 45s and in reverse poor beginning and great record thereafter, Lee David - Temptation Is Calling My Name

Being brave here.... Colt 45's, Jesus, the worst Northern tune ever ever ever to me but i respect it's admirerers

Edited by Labeat
Social source share

"Shit"- "Fantastic".... ha, couldn't be more opposites

Funny you should say that because the one that Pete hates, Baby Reconsider was one of my favourite records for many years. Bought it on a Soul Sounds boot in '71 I think, always thought I'd get an original one day to replace it but never did.

Social source share

Funny you should say that because the one that Pete hates, Baby Reconsider was one of my favourite records for many years. Bought it on a Soul Sounds boot in '71 I think, always thought I'd get an original one day to replace it but never did.

Well I wouldn't say I hate it, I just don't think it's fantastic, I can see why lots of the older guys like it, because it was quite different to most around when first discovered

Social source share

Credit to Benji for the idea.

For me it's 'I'll Hold You' - Frankie & Johnny - The best British soul intro ever - 2 bars of blistering tuba/trombone (?) and then beautiful sparkling chimes (twice) that then disappear followed by....well the rest of 'I'll Hold You', and it's not all that is it, really.

Beautiful record throughout!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I don't like it as much as The Metros' version  (BOTH vocals AND instrumental). But, it's very good.  Also, that woman doesn't sound like Blinky Williams to me.  I think it's a Pied Piper artist, but I can't place the voice.

I think the female artist on "Til The End of Time" sounds like, so might be, Pied piper artist, September Jones.

Social source share

How ironic is that mate, i did exactly the same in 71 with Leon Haywood from a South Yorks record shop.

When you were a teenager stuff like that was brill :)

Social source share

I actually like nearly all the ones suggested so far.  Now here's a real stinker:

Dora Hall - Pretty Boy

What a great intro, imagine buying this for 10p in the 70s from a junk shop rushing home, playing it & thinking for the first a 7 seconds its to good to be true

then at 8 Sec knowing it is.

Intro sounds a bit like something else   Ian

Social source share

They are very close, but The Metros' sounds "fuller" and I hear some horns I didn't hear in the other 2 versions.

honestly robb i thought it was fuller basically because one is a 45 and the other only on lp..... i did scrutinise them too when i owned them both 2 years ago and couldnt tell..... i did sell them both on tho

Social source share

Guest RicksterBerlin

Well , it won't make the winner, but I've always thought this could have done so much better. It takes 20 seconds for the first bum note to kick in.  The anthem that could have been.  

Edited by RicksterBerlin
Social source share

Joan Regan 'Don't talk to me about love' (Columbia) always a funny one for me - opens up like the best record you've ever heard, then her singing knocks the wind right out of your sails. Worth it though for the intro and the instrumental section halfway through - great strings

Always sounds to me like the music they used to use on that Superstars programme from the 70's, you know the one where Kevin Keegan fell off the bike.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!