Detroit Twirl/metro Early Releases

• Replies 5
  • Views 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I think they need it in high-quality (not MP3 or home-made CD) to make a new master for a commercial CD ("The Twirl Story") .  I have sent Ace/Kent records so that they could make high-quality recordings off of them.  They always sent them back with only one single play's worth of wear on them.

I had The Dream Girls' record not long after it was out, but traded it in a big swap for other rare Detroit records in the late 1960s. I've lost track of the bloke since 1970 or so.  He's probably deceased by now in any case.

I've never seen nor heard the Freddy and The Parliaments.  Were they an R&B/Soul group, or a pop group?  There was some Pop on Twirl.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Pmed you George, thanks very much.

Still hunting the Dream Girls on Metro which apparently is actually MGM as they were in 1959

Ady

Ady,

What do you mean "Metro, which apparently is actually MGM as they were in 1959"?   I've seen most of the Metro records run, and they ALL have numbering system different from MGM's 45 series.  And Metro Records was a definite subsidiary label of MGM.  At least during Metro's run of King/Mack Productions' leased recordings, I don't remember ANY of the Metro releases also being released on the parent MGM label.  I do remember a couple of the 35 Metro records also being released on MGM, but those were before The King/Mack run from K20022-K20035 from Aug. 1959 through April 1960.  They both might have been released in early 1959.

Social source share

Ady,

What do you mean "Metro, which apparently is actually MGM as they were in 1959"?   I've seen most of the Metro records run, and they ALL have numbering system different from MGM's 45 series.  And Metro Records was a definite subsidiary label of MGM.  At least during Metro's run of King/Mack Productions' leased recordings, I don't remember ANY of the Metro releases also being released on the parent MGM label.  I do remember a couple of the 35 Metro records also being released on MGM, but those were before The King/Mack run from K20022-K20035 from Aug. 1959 through April 1960.  They both might have been released in early 1959.

It looks like there was only a Metro release and as it is an MGM subsid it has been described as an MGM release so at one stage I thought we were talking about two different releases. I've managed to locate a copy now thanks

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!