Happy Days And Looking Back Regrets

oh where to start...(as I'm sure most of us have similar examples!!)

For me

Two Jimmy Bo Horne's - I Can't Speak...£20 for both

passed one to a mate for what I paid

The other went a few months later for £50

Edited by nsaints
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Never seen him, is he still selling on there? Alan is the only record seller I'm aware of in recent years on the market

no he passed away came on fle market day mostly Lps cds just a few singles now and again had a few from him but that was the bargain
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I never bought the Holidays "Easy living/I've lost You" on Groove City for £4.

Also left Buddy Smith - "When You Lose The One You Love" for £1.50.

It was a long time ago but still regret not taking them!

Like everyone there are loads more I should have bought. One look at an old Soul Bowl list tells me that!

I have bought many great ones for virtually nothing in todays prices, so it all balances out.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Threw away 2 Bin Bags of 45's , all US Soul , in the late 80's , all stuff from soul packs etc that were deemed too Modern or Slow (i.e. Crossover now)

as the ex Mrs. was nagging that they were taking too much space , Bitch !!!  :huh:  :lol:

Christ, they are worth millions now, i feel for ya mate :(

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Gave away piles of boots and pressings for a small 'credit note' to a second hand record shop in Willenhall (Malcolm's) when I had to make room for my first son's bed. I wish I'd known what they would end up selling for later on. Malcolm's shop shut down before i ever redeemed any of my credit note. :lol:

Social source share

Issue of kenny smith - Lord what's happening - gas issue 10p tape and disc exchange when it was still thought to be demo only.

Betty Lou and Bobby adams - doctor true love cost me nothing sold it for £120.0o within 6 months going for £800.00

Been quite a few bargains and also a few bad sales over the years

Edited by mark b
Social source share

Threw away 2 Bin Bags of 45's , all US Soul , in the late 80's , all stuff from soul packs etc that were deemed too Modern or Slow (i.e. Crossover now)

as the ex Mrs. was nagging that they were taking too much space , Bitch !!!  :huh:  :lol:

so when are you gonna throw the wife out....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Figured out what kitches Little Beaver c/u was (jimmy bo horne - just can't speak on DADE) first night he played it at Allanton 1990?

1 days later on the monday morning one if many lists ( remember those - lists?) pops through the door from Black Grape with Jimmy B H on it - cant remember the price - around £15 / £20 from memory

regret - i only bought one!

however happy days when sold it to Ginger Taylor for £1150

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Figured out what kitches Little Beaver c/u was (jimmy bo horne - just can't speak on DADE) first night he played it at Allanton 1990?

1 days later on the monday morning one if many lists ( remember those - lists?) pops through the door from Black Grape with Jimmy B H on it - cant remember the price - around £15 / £20 from memory

Well done James, a nice happy ending

Social source share

Also had a Jimmy Bo Horne a some point , remember Rob Thomas telling me the title and said ' I've got that' and described the label , with that he was asking where it would be , ' at me Mams I reckon ?' so we drove from Louth to Droitwich , which in the mean time he'd bought me one of those 6 or 7 pint little barrels of beer with a tap on to drink on the way  :lol: . Got there had a bite to eat then went up to the spare room (My old room, only stayed there 3 months) and I must have had 6-700 45's in boxes and a laundry basket , no luck !! I bet it was in one of those fooking Bin Liners DOH !!! Happy days hey ? :wicked:

Social source share

Best bargain and worst error in selling

Bought mint Soul Twins $9.99, mint Sweet Things - World of $14.99.

Sold (on Ebay) with some right gaffs.

Excluded from this was a US trip 3 x Trends - Thanks for a little $25.00 each + 2 x Willie Kendricks - Change $75.00 each plus a bunch more.

Social source share

Met a guy I had been at school with in about 1983/4 and he gave me all his Northern stuff as 'the scene ended with Wigan' - a common feeling at that time when you met old soulies ('old' as in over 21...). Despite me telling him about Stafford, 100 Club, Morecambe etc, he wasn't convinced and passed his collection over to me since I was deluded enough to think there was still something in it. Nothing amazing but nice copies of Rita Dacosta, Tainted Love, Patti and the Emblems and lots of boots of the big stompers of the time. Sold them all off over the years to feed my 60s newies addiction - something else he thought was a sure sign of me being a sad case!

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

With hindsight I've been a right idiot. Circa mid 80's, like many I was married, kids, mortgage, working all hours to get by etc etc and soul took a back seat. Pre internet so wasn't aware what was going on scene and record wise with records (LPs & 45s) sitting in boxes in the spare room.

One day decided to get rid of 'em, can't be worth owt because I only paid about a quid apiece  :huh:

Sold a load of LPs as a job lot at 50p apiece to a bloke at work who collected records of all genres. Definitely in there were Gloria Barnes "Uptown" and the Heartstoppers LP on All Platinum

Box of circa 200 45s went down to the local second hand record shop for £50 total, again can't be worth owt cause they were all cheapies. Erm, things like Guitar Ray "You're Gonna Wreck My Life" on Shagg, Celeste Hardie "You're Gone" on Reynolds and many others

:dash2:  :dash2:  :dash2: 

Social source share

Ha...bought my two from Black Grape - Didn't he say on the list he had a box of them?

Edit - I thought it was £10 ea - but could be wrong

Edited by nsaints
Social source share

Best bargain was in a record shop in Chapel Street market at the Angel London.

They used to sell new releases plus some new imports as well as 100s of oldies. Imports (I think they bought them at Moondogs) that didn't sell were put in a 10p/20p box but with no listening facilities everything was bought blind.

Bought a mint copy of Herby Brown One more broken heart Blue Ash because it looked obscure & I recognised the name Randy Mather for 10/20p got it home wasn't exactly knocked out by it & put it in a box for 20years ........................sold it for £1600  happy days  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

got black RCA issues of cracking up roy hamilton, could it be you sharon scott and a couple more from Daves surplus in derby for about a quid each, kept them for years, sold them when prices went up, for about £30 each :glare: 

sit ted ford (i think thats right ?) on uk barak, bought it for pence from a charity shop, gave it away with a load of others i thought were crap, i think there might have been a rock n co you live only once in there as well

went to a local sellers house years ago, he had a copy of the professionals for £15, i had the money on me, but went to the pub instead,

also gave away about 20 mixed reggae records, baba brooks etc all mint because i did not like them being in the same box as my soul stuff

Social source share

Best lucky buy:  Timmie Williams Competition Mala $20 in a mixed bunch of 50 45s on EBay

never looked at the other titles when they came Natural 4 ABC issue in the bunch.

Worst sell: Gwen & Ray Orig & Donna King Orig for 18 pound the pair to buy a camera

Ian

Edited by Ian
Social source share

Best buy for me was 7 years  ago when I got 30 records off ebay for $1.99 which included a very nice copy of Linda & The Pretenders.

Stopped doing the regret thing some years ago as I always got much more than I had paid and I must have needed the cash at the time however I do wish I had a copy of the Sweets which I sold for £30. 

Social source share

Best buy for me was 7 years  ago when I got 30 records off ebay for $1.99 which included a very nice copy of Linda & The Pretenders.

Stopped doing the regret thing some years ago as I always got much more than I had paid and I must have needed the cash at the time however I do wish I had a copy of the Sweets which I sold for £30. 

Did you do the lottery that week, bloody hell fancy finding a copy of that in a $1.99 pack !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

was it tho neil..he`d get double that for it now....supose i should o been happy with the handsome profit i made on ree flores

Let me come down to earth Dave.... Someone has or would pay £2,300 for Jimmy Bo Horne, original Dade, even after it's been booted?

I'm miles behind with prices :huh: Can we call it inflation?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Let me come down to earth Dave.... Someone has or would pay £2,300 for Jimmy Bo Horne, original Dade, even after it's been booted?

I'm miles behind with prices :huh: Can we call it inflation?

JM sold one for £2800.... not mint either..there was a minter on here for £3500 not long back..dont know if sold tho..i know someone who sold a vg copy for £2600 to a dealer/dj also...and that would be about 7 yrs ago... at the end of the day it doesnt show up often..and the size of this `box` gary cape had has never been determined.... he had copies for sure not tons tho...... and yes neil call it inflation if you want... look at timi yuro on here today, look at eddie parker..christ on a bike i`d want a five copy record for that amount of money...there were 5 djs had it at stoke recently.. thats 5 in same building at same time

ref the boots someone just paid 4.5 grand for a tomangoes..which as you know was booted several times years ago

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

• 2 years later...
On 1/6/2015 at 07:34, nsaints said:

oh where to start...(as I'm sure most of us have similar examples!!)

For me

Two Jimmy Bo Horne's - I Can't Speak...£20 for both

passed one to a mate for what I paid

The other went a few months later for £50

Yes,it was me who had one of those Jimmy Bo Horne's off you....:hatsoff2:....I'm sure I gave you Little John"heartbreaking time" for it....and I thought you swapped the other one with somebody else for Jimmy Armstrong on Shrine...

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Short of cash and unaware that records go up in price took a 50 box to Norfolk village in mid 90s , sold some nice 70s for 3 - 4 pounds each, cc & co, life tell me why, Marvin Holmes etc. For some reason they all went very quickly !!

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2017 at 07:25, nsaints said:

It was a shrine disc, you’re correct..from Andy (Can’t remember his surname) who lived in Wotton under Edge, Glos. 

...just a thought,did you once try and clean Cecil Washington(prophonics),with a  VAX carpet shampoo machine......:yes:  :ohmy:   ....

Edited by MGM 1251
Social source share

Sold a box full off stuff to Mary Chapman when she had a shop in Lincoln , was out of work , skint and it was a bank holiday weekend. I thought I may get

£20-£40 if I was lucky, went in and Mary wasn't there, shed gone to the Bank to get the staff wages. Five minutes later she came back and had a look through the records and said ' I've got £30 in the till and £120 wages (I think?) would I accept it ? Yup , too bloody right I would lol. Don't know how the staff got paid though.

Had a great Bank Holiday and pissed it all away as you did then ? Anyway I can remember a few that were in the box - Innersection Demo/ Ballads VJ Demo & Wee Issue/Casuleers Demo/Ila Vann Demo/Eddie Daniels and loads more that I can't remember :g:

Happy days eh ?

Happy New Year !

Swifty:thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!