Archie Bell Saga

Guest Dave Turner

Heard the ad and reminded me of what a special record this was (and still is) for me.

Young pup about 15, no real identity with any kind of music and just knew most of what I was hearing under the bedsheets with an old tranny (or should I rephrase that) wasn't for me. One night a record came on that had the "WTF is this" effect, god it was the best thing I'd ever heard but didn't catch what it was. Two weeks later it came on again, volume up full blast, bedsheets & blankets went flying and me jumping all round the room.

Dad - "Shut that f**kin' noise up up there"

A few weeks later, got a job in the warehouse at Tescos and lad I was working with saying he'd got loads of soul records. 

Bet you ain't got Archie Bell & the Drells says I

"Yup and loads more, come round our place and have a listen"

Archie Bell, Philip Mitchell, Billy Butler etc etc etc ... needless to say I was round his house most nights after that.

So that where it all started for me and I thank Archie Bell's "Here I Go Again" for giving me something that struck a chord and gave me my life long musical identity.

Archie Bell, you can go again and again and again for me.

Thank you for reading my life story  :D

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Heard the ad and reminded me of what a special record this was (and still is) for me.

Young pup about 15, no real identity with any kind of music and just knew most of what I was hearing under the bedsheets with an old tranny (or should I rephrase that) wasn't for me. One night a record came on that had the "WTF is this" effect, god it was the best thing I'd ever heard but didn't catch what it was. Two weeks later it came on again, volume up full blast, bedsheets & blankets went flying and me jumping all round the room.

A few weeks later, got a job in the warehouse at Tescos and lad I was working with saying he'd got loads of soul records. 

Archie Bell, Philip Mitchell, Billy Butler etc etc etc ... needless to say I was round his house most nights after that.

So that where it all started for me and I thank Archie Bell's "Here I Go Again" for giving me something that struck a chord and gave me my life long musical identity.

Similar story for me Dave.  In fact only this morning I upgraded my battered UK Atlantic copy for a mint US Atlantic demo.... just to stare at really :D

Social source share

Great track. Philly credits but methinks Mr Terry lurking in the background, and for a record recorded 16.05.69 I suspect this was one of Mike Terry's last contributions via the sax.

Paul

As opposed to Philadelphia saxophonist (later Gamble and Huff's horn contractor) Sam Reed? Where's your evidence that the credits are wrong?

Here's what's listed on the Atlantic sessions:

Archie Bell And The Drells With Leon Huff/Thom Bell's Orchestra

Bobby Martin (vibraphone) Leon Huff (piano, arranger) Thom Bell (organ, arranger) Roland Chambers, Norman Harris (guitar) Ronnie Baker (electric bass) Earl Young (drums) Archie Bell (vocals) Don Renaldo and his string section, Sam Reed and his horn section

Philadelphia, PA, May 16, 1969

17051            Girl You're Too Young          Atlantic 2644, SD 8226

17052            Here I Go Again         Atlantic 2693, SD 8226

• Helpful 1
Social source share

As opposed to Philadelphia saxophonist (later Gamble and Huff's horn contractor) Sam Reed? Where's your evidence that the credits are wrong?

Bobby Martin (vibraphone) Leon Huff (piano, arranger) Thom Bell (organ, arranger) Roland Chambers, Norman Harris (guitar) Ronnie Baker (electric bass) Earl Young (drums) Archie Bell (vocals) Don Renaldo and his string section, Sam Reed and his horn section

17051            Girl You're Too Young          Atlantic 2644, SD 8226

17052            Here I Go Again         Atlantic 2693, SD 8226

Who said the credits are wrong?

I wrote METHINKS Mike terry is lurking there on listening to it - if not MT then Sam Reed (apt name) could double as a MT impersonator!

Paul

Social source share

Who said the credits are wrong?

I wrote METHINKS Mike terry is lurking there on listening to it - if not MT then Sam Reed (apt name) could double as a MT impersonator!

Paul

So not any kind of statement of fact to the effect that Mike Terry was involved then?

Gotcha. Ta :thumbsup:

Social source share

Is it the original ,it don't sound quite right to me ?

Bazza   :hatsoff2:

Maybe it is not the original , aren't a lot of these tv ads sound tracks re-recorded to sound like the original which cannot be used for licencing/ budget reasons that was the reason Marvins   I heard It Through The Grapevine was not the original used in the famous Levis ad.

Social source share

Maybe it is not the original , aren't a lot of these tv ads sound tracks re-recorded to sound like the original which cannot be used for licencing/ budget reasons that was the reason Marvins   I heard It Through The Grapevine was not the original used in the famous Levis ad.

Just been on ,I don't think its them at all ,just a soundalike 

Social source share

Just been on ,I don't think its them at all ,just a soundalike 

I think it's Archie and the boys. Those wahoooooo, wahoo backing vocals make my hair stand on end. Sometimes these tracks are edited and certainly compressed for TV and will not sound how you remember them in a big hall in the 70's. Mind you, that Gil Scot Heron track that has been used recently is definitely not him.

Social source share

I think it's Archie and the boys. Those wahoooooo, wahoo backing vocals make my hair stand on end. Sometimes these tracks are edited and certainly compressed for TV and will not sound how you remember them in a big hall in the 70's. Mind you, that Gil Scot Heron track that has been used recently is definitely not him.

It might be ,if its a soundalike its very good ,but not quite right ,can't put my finger on what's wrong with it 

Bazza

Social source share

Agreed Jordi. Definitely original vocals. Archie had a pretty unique voice. As for the instrumentation, that guitar riff just seems a little crisper on the ad? 

Social source share

17051 Girl You're Too Young Atlantic 2644, SD 8226

17052 Here I Go Again Atlantic 2693, SD 8226

Godz, as a matter of interest where do you find this type of information?

Social source share

The catalyst for me as well. Heard it at the youth club, the Centre in Hinckley, and was blown away. Still ranks as one of my all time top 5 records.

Social source share

Exactly. If you walk round diy stores for long enough there are numerous covers of circular black music blasting out, and that is how they get round it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!