Help Wanted On 2 Items Please

1) Can anyone give me the release date on Billy Davis - 'Stanky (get funky)

Gets towted as a 70s funk record, if it is 70s it is very early, if not very late 60s?

2) back in the 90s a guy from Scunthorpe called Mick Arrani (think i spelt his last name correct)

nick named spotty dog because of the way he danced played a track off an Isley Bros. Greatest hits album, the track in question

"This old heart of mine" which was supposed to be a vocal version but turned out to be the instumental backing track.

Anyone have any info on this album or even had one?, don't know if it was U. S. copy or Euro copy OR UK,

never see him these days to ask him, hope someone on here can helpme with these, Rick

Edited by RICK SCOTT
Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest matt tees

Hi Rick, Stanky was released in 1969.  Don't know about the Isley's track.  Hope your well mate, you were one of the finest DJs IMO to ever grace the decks! always inventive and always prepared to play way outside of the box! You always inspired me and many more especially at Cleethorpes!! Good on you Rick! Happy New Year Sean Chapman.

Edited by matt tees
Social source share

Thanks for those kind words Sean, and the help on the stanky Record, Have the single and always wondered which side year wise it lent on,

sounds late 60s but with that raw funky edge, not everyones cup of tea i know but i like it.

The Isley brothers is a difficult one as not credited as an instrumental so will be trial and error with that one, (unless someone on here has or has had one)

Hope to catch up with you one day real soon Sean, always had the utmost respect for you too, Good luck and health in 2015 Rick

Social source share

Thanks for those kind words Sean, and the help on the stanky Record, Have the single and always wondered which side year wise it lent on,

sounds late 60s but with that raw funky edge, not everyones cup of tea i know but i like it.

The Isley brothers is a difficult one as not credited as an instrumental so will be trial and error with that one, (unless someone on here has or has had one)

Hope to catch up with you one day real soon Sean, always had the utmost respect for you too, Good luck and health in 2015 Rick

You know what could have happened though, it could have been one those weird reprocessed stereo album where the vocal is only in one speaker (e.g. brenda holloway when I'm gone) and that made it sound like an instrumental.  I made an inst out of said Brenda Holloway track.  

I do have a proper inst of this old heart of mine if you want it Rick

Social source share

I've got the official motown backing track to the Isleys, but it has some backing vocals on it..Like Pete says if it was the stereo version of the album sometimes the vocals and instrumental are split. The Motown Karaoke cd's are split like that. I think there's one secondhand set left on amazon as they are deleted now.

Social source share

played a track off an Isley Brothers Greatest hits album, the track in question "This old heart of mine" which was supposed to be a vocal version but turned out to be the instrumental backing track.

Anyone have any info on this album or even had one?, don't know if it was U. S. copy or Euro copy or UK.

A quick leap over to the Discogs website to pull up The Isley Brothers discography reveals a multitude of compilations.

A quick scan down those that fit the bill and voila - The Isley Brothers '16 Greatest Hits' on the Canadian Trip label released 1972. 

"This Old Heart Of Mine" is listed as an Instrumental (at a lengthy 4.44 minutes long) performed by The Fire & Fury Band (band members uncredited).

Wouldn't mind hearing it to be honest - copies of said album are dirt cheap by the looks of it as well.

Derek

post-1224-0-66757800-1420726629_thumb.jp post-1224-0-79515400-1420726637_thumb.jp

post-1224-0-04068400-1420726614_thumb.jp post-1224-0-10063800-1420726622_thumb.jp

Edited by Derek Pearson
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Hi Derek, re the Isleys "16 Big hits" on trip [owned by Springboard Records of Canada, not to be confused with Springboard records of L.A.California,who issued some old Musicor sides in 1973] This is a1972 Cash in album,containing the Isleys early [and pretty grim] R.C.A., Wand& U.A. sides, "This Old Heart Of Mine " is a studio/house band instro to attract the punters its pretty dire  a couple of quid at best! No legit instro exists on Motown Vyni l L.P. and the karaoke was still a Japanese dream? I would go with the  wonderful P.S.,its down to stereo seperation and mucho amber nectar!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!