Pete S

The New Sony Walkman

Now that Apple have discontinued the iPod Classic I was looking for an alternative once mine gives up the ghost.  At that price, I don't think it'll be the Sony.

Same here Steve.  Sony have said that people don't want capacity, they want sound quality - thats actually wrong, I want a big hard drive holding 40,000 tracks!

Interesting. At least it's a drive towards higher quality digital sound output. 

At the end of the day though, what they seem to selling is not much more than the "idea" of enhanced sound quality through lossless files, something that's been available for years, but which the mainstream has generally avoided because of capacity issues on portable devices, and a push by Apple and everyone else for volume (number of tracks, not sound levels) over quality.

Well, that's how it seems to me.

Interesting. At least it's a drive towards higher quality digital sound output. 

At the end of the day though, what they seem to selling is not much more than the "idea" of enhanced sound quality through lossless files, something that's been available for years, but which the mainstream has generally avoided because of capacity issues on portable devices, and a push by Apple and everyone else for volume (number of tracks, not sound levels) over quality.

Well, that's how it seems to me.

Half the music I listen to is from the 50's and 60's and is pretty primitive by modern standards of recording, I have absolutely no interest in hearing it in a "lossless" format, I can;t tell the difference anyway, a high quality mp3 does me fine and I convert all flac's to mp3 anyway - quantity every time for me.

I reckon there will be a trend of rich young banker types being forcibly relieved of these when they get off the tube.

yep. the emergence of the ipod.... those were the days.

never needed a gym just a pair of white headphones and a flat 3/4 of a mile from the tube station. 

i reckon people will buy this and most people dont have anywhere close to 40,000 songs.

enough people are fed up with apple products for this to make enough of splash in the market id say.

Half the music I listen to is from the 50's and 60's and is pretty primitive by modern standards of recording, I have absolutely no interest in hearing it in a "lossless" format, I can;t tell the difference anyway, a high quality mp3 does me fine and I convert all flac's to mp3 anyway - quantity every time for me.

Digitally speaking, I'm pretty much the same.

Maybe that's the problem though - listening to mp3s playing out of relatively cheap speakers plugged into a computer not designed for sound quality does nothing to really enhance the musical experience, and you get used to it very quickly.

Thing is though, when I play music through the stereo system and then play music through the computer, and vice versa, it's immediately obvious which is better.

Digitally speaking, I'm pretty much the same.

Maybe that's the problem though - listening to mp3s playing out of relatively cheap speakers plugged into a computer not designed for sound quality does nothing to really enhance the musical experience, and you get used to it very quickly.

Thing is though, when I play music through the stereo system and then play music through the computer, and vice versa, it's immediately obvious which is better.

I don't have a music system anymore myself - I'd never use it - I play records on the deck, or decks if I'm doing a podcast mix, I play mp3's via itunes through the Mac, and I listen to music in bed on the iPod.  I have got some fairly good headphones though, did notice they made a bit of a difference on the iPod.

Remember the days when the music centre was the centrepiece of every living room, with LP's underneath, how times change..

Cheaper alternative, and an absolute steal at £90, although you'll need to budget for a couple of 64GB micro SD cards.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NS3MRKC/ref=s9_simh_co_p23_d0_i6?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=031G4J7RX498QYZWN2Q2&pf_rd_t=3201&pf_rd_p=518516127&pf_rd_i=typ01

And if you can tell the difference in sound quality between this and the rip-off Sony your telling porkies!!

Ah, didn't see that, was looking at the spec

I think the spec concentrates on all the lossless formats, as they're promoting it as a high resolution audio player.  What's good about it is the micro SD card slot, so you could put loads of compressed files onto one card, and use another card for uncompressed files if you want.

Edited by Steve S 60

I think the spec concentrates on all the lossless formats, as they're promoting it as a high resolution audio player.  What's good about it is the micro SD card slot, so you could put loads of compressed files onto one card, and use another card for uncompressed files if you want.

Yeah I fancy it, and the one thats a grade above it for £160 but reviews of both say they sound great but are fiddly to use..

Yeah I fancy it, and the one thats a grade above it for £160 but reviews of both say they sound great but are fiddly to use..

Says it's compatible with iTunes file formats (most of mine are AAC), so you should be able to export your library to an SD card and away you go.

I'm a big fan of the sound produced by my Sony Walkmen (I've got three, one for the gym, one in the car and one on a sony docking station) but there are a number of drawbacks that would prevent me spending a lot of money on any walkman. The incompatibility with itunes, very limited range of docking stations available and limited availability of accessories like armbands. The plus side is they sound great, they are very robust and are not made be apple! 

I reckon there will be a trend of rich young banker types being forcibly relieved of these when they get off the tube.

And if you know of any young scallywag that wants to sell one that he relieved a young banker type of then I might be interested, especially if he don't know what it cost

I had a Sony Walkman about 8 years ago before I bought my first ipod. It was smaller than the ipod and was recommended to me. I couldn't get on with it at all. The software was rubbish, their equivalent of iTunes was also crap, the synching process was shite and the incompatability of the files with other types was a problem. It sounds as if they've learnt some lessons since but I'd be very careful before spending a lot of money on one.

I've never understood the need to have music blasting in your ears 24 hours a day. I have tried various mobile devices but the wire from the headphones always gets in the way when trying to do stuff. I also think they are extremely dangerous. You just aren't aware of what's going on around you.

Says it's compatible with iTunes file formats (most of mine are AAC), so you should be able to export your library to an SD card and away you go.

I jumped in and bought one Steve, first impressions, looks nice, sounds great, but need to work out if you can do playlists etc

You should be able to make up playlists in iTunes and then export them to the SD card you're going to be using.

I think I tried that and it didn't work - because if you drag the TITLE of the playlist, it doesn't take the tracks with it, so you have to open it and select all the tracks - then you drag theose, but they are no longer a playlist, they are just individual tracks once taken out of itunes - if you get me

I think I tried that and it didn't work - because if you drag the TITLE of the playlist, it doesn't take the tracks with it, so you have to open it and select all the tracks - then you drag theose, but they are no longer a playlist, they are just individual tracks once taken out of itunes - if you get me

Did think that might be the case.  So I'm assuming it comes with its own software.  I would imagine it'll be better supported with firmware updates than the iPod Classic.  Apple seemed to forget about it once they brought out the Touch.

Did think that might be the case.  So I'm assuming it comes with its own software.  I would imagine it'll be better supported with firmware updates than the iPod Classic.  Apple seemed to forget about it once they brought out the Touch.

No mate it comes with no software at all.  There is a file logo, in there is a playlist section but it says 'there are no playlists' so I have to work out how you do it

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.