Pete S

Any Way To Speed This Up?

I restored an old windows pc back to it's original state so there's loads of room on it, so I stuck itunes on and I have a 28 dvd disc back up I want to put on there, but it is incredibly slow - first disc with only 800 tracks on has already taken 50 minutes - anyone know why this is?  Can I speed up the process at all?

Can you not upgrade the memory.

go to crucial.com (think that is the URL), they scan your PC and tell you what memory you can add, or not.

Is that what it is, the memory - I mean it's a pretty decent pc (Sony Vaio) but usually when you reload a back up disc into itunes they whizz through, this is taking 10 seconds per track at least

intel E7200 processor

3.00GB installed memory (RAM)

500gb hard drive

restored an old windows pc back to it's original state

When you say the above, do you mean you just deleted stuff from the hard drive or something a ot more technical, like re-installed the operating system or used a repair CD ?

If it's the technical stuff, it may be that the drivers for the DVD player haven't been correctly installed.

When you say the above, do you mean you just deleted stuff from the hard drive or something a ot more technical, like re-installed the operating system or used a repair CD ?

If it's the technical stuff, it may be that the drivers for the DVD player haven't been correctly installed.

No what I did was to restore it from a disc, back to factory settings basically, it put a new version on but saved a massive folder called 'windows old' which I deleted because it was taking up most of the HD

Is that what it is, the memory - I mean it's a pretty decent pc (Sony Vaio) but usually when you reload a back up disc into itunes they whizz through, this is taking 10 seconds per track at least

intel E7200 processor

3.00GB installed memory (RAM)

500gb hard drive

RAM is your memory, usually you can get unto 8gb but more often than not couldn't take more than 4, run the scan at crucial they will tell you, any additional RAM will speed it up.

No what I did was to restore it from a disc, back to factory settings basically, it put a new version on but saved a massive folder called 'windows old' which I deleted because it was taking up most of the HD

I'd guess that the drivers have been set to standard windows drivers then and not the correct version for the particular DVD drive in the pc. If you know the make of the DVD player you should be able to download the latest drivers for it. It's a good thing to do it anyway as they might make it even faster than before :D

Found a workaround - just made a folder on the desktop and dragged them into it, then imported into itunes from that - 12 minutes to import 800 tracks so much better than 1 hour!  Now I have to do it with the other 26 back up discs

Edited by Pete S

Can you not upgrade the memory.

go to crucial.com (think that is the URL), they scan your PC and tell you what memory you can add, or not.

I did this, neat tool. Is upgrading a pc with increased memory easy or does a qualified IT guy/gal need to do that ?

I did this, neat tool. Is upgrading a pc with increased memory easy or does a qualified IT guy/gal need to do that ?

Easy Chris, as long as you've got the right replacement memory, it's a case of undoing the clips at each end of the memory card, pull out the old memory, put in the new memory and redo the clips.  The new memory will be recognised next time you start up.  Worth using an electrostatic wrist band if you have one, and take the opportunity to hoover out the dust in the pc case while you've got it open.

Easy Chris, as long as you've got the right replacement memory, it's a case of undoing the clips at each end of the memory card, pull out the old memory, put in the new memory and redo the clips.  The new memory will be recognised next time you start up.  Worth using an electrostatic wrist band if you have one, and take the opportunity to hoover out the dust in the pc case while you've got it open.

Thanks, will scour net & Youtube for some examples. :thumbsup:

Chris, try Orca, Crucial, or MrMemory - they're the 3 best places for quality compatible memory, at the right price. They all have some sort of memory finder on the site to tell you what you need for all branded PCs or Motherboards too.

Chris, try Orca, Crucial, or MrMemory - they're the 3 best places for quality compatible memory, at the right price. They all have some sort of memory finder on the site to tell you what you need for all branded PCs or Motherboards too.

Malc, used Crucial, worked a treat I can double the memory for £20.00  :thumbsup:

I downloaded a free 14 day trial version of PC Grime remover from AVG and whilst it has given me information to de-junk my PC an upgrade of the memory is the Nr.1 message. Will pluck up the nerve to do that in the coming days.

If you run the program via crucial.com it will tell you what you want and a link to the product on their site so it should be idiot proof :D.

When you slot the memory back in the clips should refasten themselves as you push the memory in.

If you run the program via crucial.com it will tell you what you want and a link to the product on their site so it should be idiot proof :D.

When you slot the memory back in the clips should refasten themselves as you push the memory in.

Did all that, a bit worried about the electrostatic discharge part :huh:  The actual changing looks did simple :thumbsup:

Did all that, a bit worried about the electrostatic discharge part :huh:  The actual changing looks did simple :thumbsup:

if you live in the UK, get a 3 pin electric plug and take the two shorter pins out, the longer pin is earth (green & yellow wire). Attatch two lengths of (preferably copper) bare wire to the each pin & plug it in the socket. Attach one to the metal casing of the pc and wrap the other around you wrist. If you don't have a electric socket with an earth pin attach the wire to your COLD water tap (failing that a radiator pipe or gas pipe as they should be earthed) You can also get a very lightly dampened cotton cloth and put some tin foil on it, then put you pc / laptop on that to help stop static. Finally do it with your sleeves rolled up and don't wear anything like a wooly jumper which can generate static.

post-1151-0-50421100-1422372028.jpg

Edited by simon t

if you live in the UK, get a 3 pin electric plug and take the two shorter pins out, the longer pin is earth (green & yellow wire). Attatch two lengths of (preferably copper) bare wire to the each pin & plug it in the socket. Attach one to the metal casing of the pc and wrap the other around you wrist. If you don't have a electric socket with an earth pin attach the wire to your COLD water tap (failing that a radiator pipe or gas pipe as they should be earthed) You can also get a very lightly dampened cotton cloth and put some tin foil on it, then put you pc / laptop on that to help stop static. Finally do it with your sleeves rolled up and don't wear anything like a wooly jumper which can generate static.

If you are going to do this don't forget the bit in red.

Well, we've ordered the extra memory, from a company called Mr.Memory :D  We have 1GB installed in pc and will add another 2 x 1GB that'll give us a total of 3GB with an empty slot to bring it up to 4GB if need be :thumbsup:  The 2 sent will be "handed" whatever that means but Mr.Memory assures that we can keep the existing strip in the pc no probs. Interested to see what the results are, cost only £25.00 delivered to Belgium. I did try one of anti-grime programs on a 14 day free trial, didn't really do much apart from tell I didn't have enough GBs :lol:  as if I didn't know, plus a few other things to jettison. Will be reporting back next week. :thumbsup:

Edited by Chris L

Well all I can say it's a real delight to use the PC now. I contacted Mr.Memory to see if adding an extra 1GB would make it even better, they replied that as the PC only recognises 3.85GB adding an extra 1GB wouldn't make much difference, nice honesty from them. Here's their link if anybody wants check them out.

http://www.mrmemory.co.uk/

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.