Owls Effort No1

Ibiza Steve

Having sorted out a load of blues a soul mags I had stashed in the wardrobe I came across the Owls Effort No1 issue dated 1987 by Richard Domar.Opening the first page on the right hand side is the heading For Millionaires Only and underneath a list of some 50 titles with valuations but as Richard points out may not be 100% accurate and prices may vary to be higher or lower, here are some examples. Eddie Parker-I'm Gone,Awake £80. Delights-Lover,Cuppy £70. Don Gardner-Cheating Kind,Sedgrick £50. Gwen Owens-Just say your Wanted,Velgo £100.

Can I assume having located these items in 1987 that they could have been bought at that price? And its a great mag, Steve

Social source share

I got on with him ok, I found the best approach was to give as good as you got. He was objectionable only if you let him be.

Definitely an unusual character, I think social norms like courtesy and politeness were difficult for him. I genuinely don't think he understood why lots of people got hacked off with him.

He was quite a generous person actually. He could be quite humorous as well.

I think I helped Mr Domar with that mag. Does it have 'The Back Page Hit List' with a load of scanned 45s?

If so they were records from my collection at the time.

Social source share

I think he was probably quite ambitious pricing them that low even then (my memory places the high end stuff at £200-300 with something like Gene Toones at £120 - remember there being a shocked rumour of someone paying £400 for something round then - can't remember what - possibly George Sharp for the Airplane song) - though I remember Domar had Country Girl on his list for about a year at £100 at the time.

The positive result of these more sensible prices was that there were A LOT of us spending about £100 a week on records - I think the sky high costs nowadays have killed collecting for a large number of people.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Yes, those were my records.

Turned out that there was two mixes of Azie Mortimer, a sort of jazzy one, and that one - full blooded northern. Was Soul City _ Cold Hearted Blues on there as well?

Yes on Good Time, Ironically towards the back of the mag he tells us under Snippets Of Info "Darrell Banks-Our Love was never issued as an issue on Uk London and only demos exist.There were 300 demos issued".

Social source share

I always got on ok with him and found him fine to deal with albeit a little strange when selling. I remember missing the brooks brothers for something like a tenner on his list and when i pointed out that it was a rare record and should have had extra 0 at end he said he didn't like it and priced it what he felt it was worth! Loved him. His Owls Effort was a good mag and his cover ups were great, quite a few going on to be big in demanders in the 90s.

Social source share

I enjoyed reading TOE (still do when I find them out) but not too sure about "Fred's Film Reviews" although I'm sure some people liked them.

Didn't the mag only run to a few (3/4) as can't recall seeing any after (was it finished due to time commitment).

My mistake as I have got the OKEH special.

Edited by theothertosspot
Social source share

TOE Number 1 issue is very hard to find now, i have Richards master copy of it, he gave it me last year.

I bought my copy from Boogaloo Records Granby St, Leicester, Paul Rudzitis ran the shop and also northern soul gigs in and around the city, a great supplier of vinyl to the scene.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I think by 1987 prices were beginning to rise, wouldn't be long before "offers" was to be introduced.  I have some lists in the garage from then, will dig them out and see if anything interesting on them.

but even up to the late 80's you could get rarities for a couple of 100.  I paid £150 for Sir Ceasar (my first three figure record), half a dozen or so known copies at that time.  £150 for Jesse Davis on Era.  Most of the stiff that goes for £400/£500, even records that are now £1000+ today were as little as £10/£15. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I think by 1987 prices were beginning to rise, wouldn't be long before "offers" was to be introduced. I have some lists in the garage from then, will dig them out and see if anything interesting on them.

but even up to the late 80's you could get rarities for a couple of 100. I paid £150 for Sir Ceasar (my first three figure record), half a dozen or so known copies at that time. £150 for Jesse Davis on Era. Most of the stiff that goes for £400/£500, even records that are now £1000+ today were as little as £10/£15.

Soul Bros Inc Pyramid was fetching between 30/40 around that time, and in 1993 Masqueraders How and Caressors Can't Stay Away were only 60 and 80 respectively.

Bought them at that price but alas sold em for not much more.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Mid eighties, I used to get regular sales lists off richard, and bought many casettes loaded with tunes off him.Vinyl wise Jimmy Robbins-uk president.I also received letters from him and met him at stafford, he had the brooks brothers on his list, for a fiver, asked me why I hadn't bought it.Simple I didn't know it then,He sold it to someone who helped sell his mags.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

TOE Number 1 issue is very hard to find now, i have Richards master copy of it, he gave it me last year.

Have you thought about photocopying any? I'd be interested to see an 80s perspective of the scene, being too young at the time. Or I suppose you could scan them and post them up, although I can never really be bothered looking at things like that on-screen, prefer hard copies...

Social source share

Soul Bros Inc Pyramid was fetching between 30/40 around that time, and in 1993 Masqueraders How and Caressors Can't Stay Away were only 60 and 80 respectively.

Bought them at that price but alas sold em for not much more.

One of the reasons possibly why we can't believe the prices today compared to what we was paying and how many copies we saw back then of each title.  Some pretty common records back in the 80's fetching stupid money that some wrongly claim are rare.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Have you thought about photocopying any? I'd be interested to see an 80s perspective of the scene, being too young at the time. Or I suppose you could scan them and post them up, although I can never really be bothered looking at things like that on-screen, prefer hard copies...

I think people would be interested in the revival of these magazines Shades Of Soul for example were very informative all though I only have several copies but it gives us an insight to the scene back in the 80's and really the only communication system without going to a gig imo. To copy these mags you may need permission from the owner, in this case Richard Domar and Mach from above has the master copy of Owls Effort no1, but I reiterate it would make an interesting read on this sight. steve
Social source share

I had a few lists from him and it used to make me laugh when I read the do's and don'ts of ordering a record , i.e. not when Footies on TV and not between this time and that time as I won't answer the phone etc. actually put me off ordering things .

Where did he get all his records ? did he actually go to the states to get them? be interested to know?

Swifty

Edited by SWIFTY
Social source share

Them bloody stamps on his sleeves still keep popping up all over the place in my collection.I still pull things out and think ah Domar.The Contenders and Walking By On Rim he must have had boxes of them.

they are great, I smile when I see one, I actually got sent one from the States a while back, which was as stunning as the 45 it sleeved!!

M

Social source share

I think by 1987 prices were beginning to rise, wouldn't be long before "offers" was to be introduced.  I have some lists in the garage from then, will dig them out and see if anything interesting on them.

but even up to the late 80's you could get rarities for a couple of 100.  I paid £150 for Sir Ceasar (my first three figure record), half a dozen or so known copies at that time.  £150 for Jesse Davis on Era.  Most of the stiff that goes for £400/£500, even records that are now £1000+ today were as little as £10/£15. 

check out the John Doe lists chalky for some good reading, especially the 'Collectors 45's' pages,  contain loads of spins that pop up in next two decades...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think people would be interested in the revival of these magazines Shades Of Soul for example were very informative all though I only have several copies but it gives us an insight to the scene back in the 80's and really the only communication system without going to a gig imo. To copy these mags you may need permission from the owner, in this case Richard Domar and Mach from above has the master copy of Owls Effort no1, but I reiterate it would make an interesting read on this sight. steve

For another insight go to my website and read Pete Lawson's and Jock O'Connor's magazines from back the, great reading and Pete doesn't mince his words either.  They are there in PDF and ebook, took me ages to scan them.

Shades of Soul was a fantastic magazine, the best IMO, I have all the issues.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

remember falling out with richard over something silly

got my mate fordy to order for me for about a year and he said to him 'tell mark its about time he ordered them himself'

after that got on really well with him

He fell out with everyone didn't he? He could be down right rude and obnoxious.  Never really bothered with him to be honest.

Social source share

know what u mean chalky 

bought everything from richard that had wigan oldie on it

never got disappointed once ,,he had too many cheap records i wanted so was cutting my nose off ..

remember i sold all my lps to get ben zine off him and because i didnt order on a4 paper he threatened to cancel my order lol

happy days

i dont think hes too well at the moment

will always have fond memories

Social source share

I ordered something off him via cheque - must have been early Jan, maybe just back from a niter and wasn't with it. I dated the cheque with the previous years date. Got a stinking rude letter back from him, wasting his time etc.. Remember I showed Mark Bicknell the letter. RD's letter wound Mark up more than me. Think Mark was going to phone him up and tell him what he thought of him. Can't remember if Mark ever did or not.

Don't remember ever ordering stuff from him any more after that - was easier dealing with Pat Brady and John Manship 

Edited by nsaints
Social source share

He has written on the front inside page more or less what he has included in the mag plus which I found funny " I'd like to thank all the people who contributed to this issue, and thanks a bunch to those who promised a piece but it never materialised ". At the bottom of the page headed EDITORIAL he writes the following - If Northern Soul is to survive into the 90's I believe that people should start to listen to the current newies. Whether they are good or bad the scene will not survive on "Oldies" alone, as good as they are.If people say they are into Northern and dont give the "newies" a chance they are hardly furthering the cause. Todays newies are tomorrows oldies !

Social source share

Those booklets with tiny print were brilliant : full of bargains but full of info too, just used to go through them over and over again. 

Meticulous rules about ordering it was a relief to get your records in the post not your cheque back. 

Slightly off topic but imagine going back to sending cheques and ' May take up to two weeks to clear' maybe even 28 days ! What with paypal etc you can get your vinyl now within a day or two. 

Social source share

Having sorted out a load of blues a soul mags I had stashed in the wardrobe I came across the Owls Effort No1 issue dated 1987 by Richard Domar.Opening the first page on the right hand side is the heading For Millionaires Only and underneath a list of some 50 titles with valuations but as Richard points out may not be 100% accurate and prices may vary to be higher or lower, here are some examples. Eddie Parker-I'm Gone,Awake £80. Delights-Lover,Cuppy £70. Don Gardner-Cheating Kind,Sedgrick £50. Gwen Owens-Just say your Wanted,Velgo £100.

Can I assume having located these items in 1987 that they could have been bought at that price? And its a great mag, Steve

Still got all these except first issue, always worth a read now and again.

Social source share

richard domar deffo mellowed out in later years,had lots of nice conversations with him,he is actually a nice bloke if u havent pissed him off,bought loads of records of him and also used to get his sales tapes,loads of good obscure stuff on them ! as already said he was unwell few years ago and got quite despondent,told me he was selling all his stock and jacking it in,not even bothering with the internet,i sent him a email just to see how things were but he didnt reply,is anyone still in contact with him ? would like to know how he is these days

jason

Social source share

I bought my copy from Boogaloo Records Granby St, Leicester, Paul Rudzitis ran the shop and also northern soul gigs in and around the city, a great supplier of vinyl to the scene.

Stocked all the Soul Mags at the time including Richard Domars,swapped his Magnetics boots for some of my Four Tracks no problem.

NICE ONE!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!