Russell Gilbert

Country Music: Proof It All Sounds The Same

Some clever chap by the name of Sir Mashalot has mashed up (thus living up to his name) six chart-topping country songs.

The result proves that they do all sound the same. In fact, it appears that there's only one song. Give it a listen and find out for yourself!

Have to agree that a significant amount of contemporary commercial country music is a complete waste of time, but to write off the whole genre of country music is a mistake as it contains some of the best recorded popular music ever made, albeit that arguably its halcyon days are in the past. One of my favourite artists is Alan Tyler of the Rockingbirds from London. He's a fine songwriter and lyricist as the link to his song about Deptford Creek proves. Had the pleasure of going on tour with the band last year doing their merchandising and had a fantastic experience. Their guitarists are both big soul fans and 100 Club all nighter attendees. 

http://www.caughtbytheriver.net/2014/06/down-on-deptford-creek-the-rockingbirds/

Edited by autumnstoned

Modern Country - like so much modern music - can be bland and uninteresting, but people like Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Charlie Rich, Loretta Lynn and Emmylou Harris are artists of considerable stature. Heck, even early Dolly Parton in her bluegrass era is good to listen to. 

What cannot be denied is that there have been some great country songs memorably performed by Soul music greats. The Country meets Soul series from Kent is choc a bloc with fantastic examples of this happy union of styles.  

Modern Country - like so much modern music - can be bland and uninteresting, but people like Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Charlie Rich, Loretta Lynn and Emmylou Harris are artists of considerable stature. Heck, even early Dolly Parton in her bluegrass era is good to listen to. 

What cannot be denied is that there have been some great country songs memorably performed by Soul music greats. The Country meets Soul series from Kent is choc a bloc with fantastic examples of this happy union of styles.  

Well put. On the country meets soul tip, any excuse to share Lee Fields & The Expressions - Magnolia! One of 2014's highlights.

Some great names there. Astonishing the impact that Hank Williams had on the music world and he was not even 30 years old when he died!

I've always had a soft spot for this duet between Hank Williams and Anita Carter. She looks as if she's totally smitten with him. LOL! The Carter family were "Country Music royalty." Johnny Cash was married to AC's sister June for 35 years.

Enjoy. :yes:

What cannot be denied is that there have been some great country songs memorably performed by Soul music greats.   And the majority

And don't forget that the majority of Soul singers (Deep and Southern) said how much they were influenced by country music.

That we can hear in their recordings : Candi Staton, Bettye Swann, Millie Jackson and many more.

Country Soul really is a delight. A great Country song, with universal themes that anyone can relate to, performed by a gutsy, big voiced Soul singer is a perfect match as far as I'm concerned.

And guess what? Just got home and "Yesterday is gone - 21 Soul Country Rarities" a new CD has arrived! 

My favourite Crossover (Country/Soul) artist bar none. Arthur Alexander.

Absolutely wonderful imo. That and Where Have You Been are my favourites by Arthur.

If this doesn't melt you heart - just a bit - you might be dead. :yes::D

That's a nice version. I'm old enough to remember when Patsy Cline was killed in a plane crash in 1963 along with Cowboy Copas and Hawkshaw Hawkins, two other C&W singers, plus the pilot. My favourite by  her is I Fall To Pieces. Both that song and an earlier hit by her, Walking After Midnight, were covered by Otis Williams & The Charms, vintage doowop group. There's always been a crossover of songs between Soul/R&B since the 1940s to the 60s or early 70s, not sure if any goes on now though.

Lyrically some of the C&W songs, especially by Hank Williams, rank as great love songs.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.