Show Us Your Great Photos - Pt2

Amsterdam Russ

I will play

I was out snapping the wildlife when I spotted the plane approaching, I knew the moon was up so just waited, and got this, a shame it was not a touch higher and crossing the moon

attachicon.gif362_005.jpg

Here is another one of a daytime moon, but switched to black and white in photoshop

attachicon.gif432_002bw.jpg

Thanks for playing, Martyn. Two cracking photos there! It's a good game, isn't it?

Social source share

Following Martyn's theme ...  :)

Another daylight Moon ...

get.jpg

Better timed airliner ... more luck than judgement ...  :lol:

get.jpg

A week's worth of the biggest sunspot group for 20 odd years ...

get.jpg

And a close-up of said group ...

get.jpg

Click on thumbnails for a full size image ...

Wow - wish I had a screen big enough to see these at full resolution! I think an explanation's in order, Steve, if you don't mind.

My mum always told me not to stare straight into the sun and there you are pointing a camera at it that's attached to a telescope! What's your interest here - the sun specifically or (and I presume) astronomy generally, and is this hobby or work?

Yours, Mr Nosey :D

Social source share

Wow - wish I had a screen big enough to see these at full resolution! I think an explanation's in order, Steve, if you don't mind.

My mum always told me not to stare straight into the sun and there you are pointing a camera at it that's attached to a telescope! What's your interest here - the sun specifically or (and I presume) astronomy generally, and is this hobby or work?

Yours, Mr Nosey :D

Hi Russell,

Astronomy/Astrophotography in general , but sitting out in the sun is a whole lot more comfortable than being out in the cold at 3am ... :D

All-niters for me these days tend to mean a 6 hour session under the stars ...  :shhh:

All shot with a Canon 1000D through a Tal 100RS telescope and 1.4x Barlow lens giving a focal length of 1400mm , with Baader ND3.8 Solar Imaging film and an OIII filter.

Started shooting the Sun in earnest a couple of years ago as a counter to the cloudy nights at the time , it soon became a bit of an obsession and I strove to get a shot every day if possible , 2014 saw me bag 309 days from 365 , not a target I'm likely to top so a more relaxed approach this year ...  :wink:

My Solar Imaging gallery is found here if anyone's interested ... http://www.astrobin.com/users/steveward53/

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Russell,

Astronomy/Astrophotography in general , but sitting out in the sun is a whole lot more comfortable than being out in the cold at 3am ... :D

All-niters for me these days tend to mean a 6 hour session under the stars ...  :shhh:

All shot with a Canon 1000D through a Tal 100RS telescope and 1.4x Barlow lens giving a focal length of 1400mm , with Baader ND3.8 Solar Imaging film and an OIII filter.

Started shooting the Sun in earnest a couple of years ago as a counter to the cloudy nights at the time , it soon became a bit of an obsession and I strove to get a shot every day if possible , 2014 saw me bag 309 days from 365 , not a target I'm likely to top so a more relaxed approach this year ...  :wink:

My Solar Imaging gallery is found here if anyone's interested ... http://www.astrobin.com/users/steveward53/

Very impressive - and it's always eybrow-liftingly interesting to find out what people have in the way of hobbies!

I did have a look through your gallery earlier, but to be honest, beyond knowing that I'm looking at the sun (and the occasional jet flying across it), I'm not sure what else I'm looking at. You mentioned sun spots. Do the pics tell a story of sorts about them?

Social source share

Gas. Didn't think it snowed in Runcorn, with the I.C.I to keep you warm.. Nice picture mate. One question where's the bird's

Steve

There used to be lots of small Finches that winter roosted on the Mercury plant Steve ........... but in the summer they turned into Emu's... :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Probably easier to see in this animation I knocked up last year , a complete years worth of data to show the progression of sunspots as they travel across the rotating sun ....  :)

Posting the 'noisy' version as it's got a rather decent backing track ...  :yes:

Really brilliant (in both senses of the word) - thanks for sharing!

Social source share

Chris. Don't know how it got to 388 .

Steve

Maybe it's a secret version that still has to be unveiled  :wicked:  In November 1998 I was at Heathrow picking up my hire car when loading bag into boot the whole car park started shaking, I looked up and it was Concorde taking off, wish I'd taken a picture of that  :huh: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share