Show Us Your Great Photos - Pt2

Amsterdam Russ

Just a few picture of my reef aquarium now it`s settled down again after the house move.

The last one is with just the moonlights on and the main daylight LEDs switched off.

bi-Colour.jpg

Gobi Wan Kenobi.jpg

Rose Bubble-Tip.jpg

20150701_174234(0).jpg

Sally Lightfoot.jpg

20150707_215508.jpg

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Managed to see a fledgling Cuckoo this morning, being fed by a couple of Reed Warblers ... it was calling for food constantly, I should think that the Reed Warblers were struggling to keep up with the demand

469_033.thumb.jpg.1fcb36f71e0b94cb1b6941

Here it is demanding food

469_037.thumb.jpg.aa00cd728c9fa20ac77343

You can see one of the Reed Warblers almost in the Cuckoo's mouth in this shot

469_038.thumb.jpg.9aeceae58178b8facb6eeb

stunning mate , stunning

Steve

Social source share

Managed to see a fledgling Cuckoo this morning, being fed by a couple of Reed Warblers ... it was calling for food constantly, I should think that the Reed Warblers were struggling to keep up with the demand

Wow! They're amazing pictures Martyn. Award winning stuff imo.

Petre

Social source share

Cheers you two ... apparently it has been well over 10 years since Cuckoos bred at Belvide, we think that we may have three juveniles this year, which is good news as Cuckoo numbers had been declining.

A couple more shots of it

469_007.thumb.jpg.7327c424fd6e45101203da

469_095.thumb.jpg.497f414502c5d4dfa0e33b

Take a bow Martyn. simply stunning. i thank you for posting

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A few more holiday snaps...

By the edge of the sea, a little way from Molyvos, is a freshwater pool where turtles can be found. Although naturally shy, they can be coaxed out with offerings of bread, their hunger for which will bring them right to your feet.

IMG_3222-web.thumb.jpg.465fdabd7385dabe3

As well as turtles there are also frogs. If you sit quietly for long enough they'll venture out of the water and come very close. Make a sudden move and they're back in the water with a single leap.

IMG_3220-web.thumb.jpg.311a8067f041386b9

Other forms of aquatic life can also be spotted. This is the rarely spotted Snorkelus Russellum, seen here on what was, unusually, a rainy day.

IMG_3240-web.thumb.jpg.4351d31d0a4544fe3

Probably one of the top three sights photographed in Molyvos - moored in the harbour, this former fishing boat is available for private trips courtesy of skipper and friend Stratis.

IMG_3251-web.thumb.jpg.a73c6a8a067a88aee

The fresh and totally fabulous local food is a major attraction for us. In this case, calamari...

IMG_3235-web.thumb.jpg.eee3865c40c6d551e

A few glasses of vino and the sound of traditional Greek music played under the watchful stony gaze of Molyvos castle. Simple pleasures greatly enjoyed.

IMG_3263-web.thumb.jpg.621fbc87d5acdf9e3

Nice one Russell. Good to see what you actually look like! Sounds like you had a great time - I love the Greek Islands. That squids right up my street too.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Nice one Russell. Good to see what you actually look like! Sounds like you had a great time - I love the Greek Islands. That squids right up my street too.

Peter

Likewise, we love Greece and Lesvos in particular. This is our sixth visit to the island. Very difficult being there this year in some respects, although without a doubt we had a great time. We feel for the local people. Not only are they suffering because of the ongoing financial crisis, but tourism is down something like 20% so far this season as a result and the worries people have about the tide of refugees, the latter concerns being unfounded. Unfortunately it seems likely the wonderful locals will be facing a tougher time than they've had already - as if that wasn't bad enough.

As for me, don't go thinking that what you see in the pic is my usual attire.  It's impossible to dance in flippers! :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Amazing picture!How do you think the young cuckoo knows to shove the other eggs out of the nest?

Social source share

These flowers (name?) are to be seen everywhere in Molyvos

IMG_3053-web.thumb.jpg.b212bc13280f66367

This is Campsis radicans Russell, can be grown in the UK, but is temperamental about flowering if you don't get much sunshine, best against a south facing wall or fence.  Grows everywhere in the south of Spain.

Edited by TattooDave
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

:lol: Russell. Your spending to much time in the company of Martyn,s pictures my friend. His wit is obviously rubbing off. :g:

Steve

Many say I'm a great wit, Steve. Mind you, my hearing's not as good as it was, so it could be twit. :D

I reckon he fell over again Russell ... it's happened before :wicked:

All that Trappist beer?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Much appreciated, Dave. :thumbsup:

Trumpet vine - think I can even remember that. They add such a great splash of colour wherever they grow. Really nice to see.

Now available with red, orange or yellow flowers, though the orange is the specie.  The yellow variety is called "Flava", the red variety is called "Flamenco" both are still hard to find, whereas the specie is readily available.

Social source share

You've got a point. Reckon they'd be perfect for doing 'the duck'.

Now what's all this about you falling over. Drunk was it???

Or the swim.

I honestly don't know what Martyn is on about. Unless I Have tripped over him at some dark and dingy nighter with him only being six foot nothing. :shhh:

Steve

Social source share

Flamenco - very fitting. I like the sound of that!

It's really amazing what the plant breeders are doing to try and find the next big hit with garden plants, it's a huge market if they hit it right.  Recently I've seen a white flowered Plumbago capensis for sale, and when you consider the specie is actually a pale to mid blue which in itself is a scarce enough colour you wonder why they bother.  Having said that, I prefer it to the pale blue, though there are some more intensely blue cultivars available which are stunning.

white_plumbago.thumb.png.f23bf872100849c

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Steve, yonks ago you posted one sideways on, I asked if you had taken it lying down, or if you had fallen over ... and as being six foot nothing ... in my dreams :D

Anyway, have a couple of Southern Hawkers

469_056.thumb.jpg.4dc91f1c7eb014ec9a747c469_063.thumb.jpg.3f04a041c461b635701784

I remember now that you have reminded me. :g:Sorry about the height thing I meant 5 ft  nothing. :ohmy:

Love the pictures as always. :hatsoff2:

Steve

P.S.. how do you get so close to the Dragon flies without disturbing them and flying off

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

P.S.. how do you get so close to the Dragon flies without disturbing them and flying off

If you approach them carefully without any sudden movement you can get pretty close, it helps that I am using either a 300mm or 200-400mm lens which have 5 feet or 6 feet minimum focus distance, this lets me keep just far enough away from the insect to avoid spooking it.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Ade. A big guy like you scared of snakes. They're lovely. Wish we had more here in the northwest. Only ever seen one grass snake and never seen a adder.

Steve

Yes scared to death for no good reason even struggle to watch them on TV. Where we live and run there are are a few Adders and a few years ago one of our lads got bitten when out on a run. Ade

Social source share