Show Us Your Great Photos - Pt2

Amsterdam Russ

A car came off the road last night and somehow ended up in the canal that runs alongside the building in which we live. Happily, both people in the car - a man and a woman - escaped unhurt.

We didn't see how the woman got out. The man, being rather rotund by Dutch standards, struggled to get free but was eventually pulled through the open window by a fire crew.

A Police diver later aided in putting straps under the car so that it could be lifted out by a crane.

Some pics of the drama...

post-9478-0-46922600-1422875223_thumb.jp

post-9478-0-39102900-1422875230_thumb.jp

post-9478-0-36025300-1422875227_thumb.jp

Must have been a day for high drama here as about lunchtime half a dozen fire engines went speeding up the same street to tackle a blaze in business unit.

Social source share

The local council are clearing a nearby forest of about 50% of it`s trees in order to turn it into a part-paved  picnic, dog walking, touristy, beauty-spot kind of thing. About 2 years ago orange painted crosses were sprayed on these trees and no one had a clue why, I thought maybe they were diseased or something. But last week they had a team of woodcutters or whatever they called them cutting them down, trimming them and transporting them over to the playing filed car park. 

So they don`t damage the fields with tractors or JCBs ,as this is going to take a year at least. This is what they`re using.

post-7917-0-51130100-1422880214_thumb.jp

I was walking the dogs this morning as usual through there and just about managed to get my gloves off in time and fumble about with my phone.

Social source share

Steve. They look like silver birch trees. Very fast growing and will repopulate the areas that the council have cleared them from in no time given the chance.

Steve

I think a lot of them are Steve, about 70 acres so it`ll take a good while with one horse.......mind you it`s a bit of a one-horse town here.

The view at sunset last night from our bedroom window.

post-7917-0-89563100-1423061178_thumb.jp

Edit:  Enlarged it looks like i`ve painted it............with my foot!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Seen my first ever Bittern today. even though it was about 300 metres away was so chuffed

Steve

I think it's great that we can still experience that great sense of excitement when seeing a new species for the first time!

Still not seen a bittern, but really would like to. Perhaps more than that, I'd really like to hear one.

At some point in the late 70s (I think) a new bird watching magazine was launched in the UK. The first edition, if I remember correctly, carried a free flexidisc of bird sounds on the front cover and featured Bill Oddie as narrator.

Among the sounds presented was the booming call of the bittern. That and the mechanical call of the nightjar sounded other worldy to me as a kid and their sounds have been deeply imprinted on my brain ever since.

Last year I heard the distant sound of a nightjar at about four in the morning when cycling through the Amsterdam woods after a night at the Amsterdam Soul Club. That was great. Now if only I could hear that bittern.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think it's great that we can still experience that great sense of excitement when seeing a new species for the first time!

Still not seen a bittern, but really would like to. Perhaps more than that, I'd really like to hear one.

At some point in the late 70s (I think) a new bird watching magazine was launched in the UK. The first edition, if I remember correctly, carried a free flexidisc of bird sounds on the front cover and featured Bill Oddie as narrator.

Among the sounds presented was the booming call of the bittern. That and the mechanical call of the nightjar sounded other worldy to me as a kid and their sounds have been deeply imprinted on my brain ever since.

Last year I heard the distant sound of a nightjar at about four in the morning when cycling through the Amsterdam woods after a night at the Amsterdam Soul Club. That was great. Now if only I could hear that bittern.

Russell. The latest rspb birds of Britain and Europe identification book has a CD that comes with it and it has 100 bird songs and calls on it. But not unfortunately the boom of the bittern. Not sure if I've heard the nightjar but here's hoping.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Russell. The latest rspb birds of Britain and Europe identification book has a CD that comes with it and it has 100 bird songs and calls on it. But not unfortunately the boom of the bittern. Not sure if I've heard the nightjar but here's hoping.

Steve

I bought this British Library CD a few years back. The description says...

A total of 175 species are heard ranging from the familiar tawny owl to the very rare call of the bittern.

One of my better CD purchases of recent years.   :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Anyone seeing signs of spring yet? Looking out the front windows towards the embankments opposite, I can see daffodils have broken through the soil and are not far away from flowering. Alongside our building are a number of trees and they're covered in tiny buds.

Spring is almost here again.

attachicon.gifDaffs-cyclist.jpg

Blackbirds have started singing early :) round here.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Saw two collared doves making whoopee earlier today, so spring must be just around the corner

I was walking the dog on the canal, at the weekend, and caught two moorhens 'at it'. 

I heard my first woodpecker of the year, a sure sign that spring is not far away.

we've got a great selection on the feeder this week, long tail tits, Bullfinches, blackcaps and also a thrush in the garden.  Haven't seen one of them for ages!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Back at work? Sabbatical's over now? Hope you've enjoyed it.[/quote

Morning Russell. Yeah decided in January to look for a job. Applied for three and got offered two . I'm working a four on four off day shift system which gives me loads of time off but the only drawback is I will be working plenty of weekends which limits my nighters.

Yes I've absolutely loved the last year, done and seen so many wonderful things but this job gives me the best of everything. Time and money.

Steve

Social source share

Jeez u lot r detailed init!!x It;s a great pic....I visit over 40 sites....dunno what I posted where and ain;t bothered. Willing to account for owt....but I didn't say it was 'today'.....just that I went fishing at it again!!!x I should be happy your attentive to my every word....but you ain't....so sort it out!!!!x.....I went to me lake and shared that 'happening'...the pic was representative.....and??!x Honest.....the topic sez 'great pictures'.....I think it is......!x For up to date daily pics of what is happening in my life then feel free to go to my FB....loads to see and u ain;t bothered with it here then init!!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

My latest 'great pic'? I took this on Thursday night. Famous family with Royal connections and for those into 2 wheels then this guy and his family were massively involved in the exemption of Sikhs having to wear helmets during the war and crash helmets in the 70's!x 

Full story and more as  said on me FB.

1907463_10152521837671307_39714649102361

1450872_10152521842721307_42398902126907

Another great pic is this....from 'stock' but I visited it whilst trekking and was pleased to see the new football pitches all sorted tying up 3 localish League clubs and 2 Non-League clubs to a Residential School who for 170 years have had football as a 4th priority on their lists! Thanx to 'networking' and the Prince's Trust giving a helping hand this picture represents around 30,000 kids lives improved each year for the next 170 years!x Sorry it's a stock pic....but in the real world...it's FANTASTIC. Full sp on me FB!x Like me lake......I don;t take pics of all the geese shit I sit in.....but am I being dishonest???...or polite. I like me privacy....I have it....taa...not many get to see me lake whatever time of year.......end of..........!!!x

11002510_10152521838101307_3224504974282

Social source share

Brilliant photos Ste , lovely birds , were did you see them mate ?

Thank Ste. I had heard there was one in a garden opposite Orrel water park nr Wigan, called last week and no joy, when I got there today and it was sat in the tree in the front garden feeding on the apples the owner puts out. Two minutes later it had disappeared again. Just managed a few pictures

Ste

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share