Show Us Your Great Photos - Pt2

Amsterdam Russ

The story behind this photo goes back to December 2009 and the public toilets at Airlie Beach in Australia, the gateway to the Whitsunday Islands. We had a few days/nights there while on our first trip down under and i wanted the loo, as you do :-) Now when I entered I heard female voices and just asumed it was coming from next door or outside as there are grills in the toilets, as in the photo. I can tell you I did a double take and stopped in me tracks when I saw these four girls stood there. I nearly wet meself :yes::D

So if you ever find yourself in Airlie Beach toilets................................ :hatsoff2:

DSCF2856_zpsviyf5x82.jpg

Edited by soulandy
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

This is on the hill (The Coppice) overlooking Accrington. We took the dogs out last weekend for a walk in the snow.

post-7917-0-54630900-1422032415_thumb.jp

Just taken with the Galaxy S5 but it is a damn fine camera!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Hi folks.....BRILLIANT pics.....and sorry I haven't contributed for a while!x I've posted the below 'graphic' as it will be of interest to some i;m sure!x This is where the hits are coming from for the film!!x Japan are on it....so is Veitnam?!....and Benin in Africa!!!x The US has overtaken Oz to 2nd spot.....and friends in Romania are sharing it big time....even tho' they is clueless....well sort of....1 of em Florin went home wiv an old t shirt of mine!!!x Ah...and Russia....but they watch me whatever.....and need too...hehe!!!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

statsnew.jpg

florin.jpg

...and keepig it 'soulful' I just saw this in the fishes folder....Toddy!!!x Many know him....Keele/Kings Hall....everywhere over the years and trekked the UK with us in the 90's.....soul mate to me during that time if ever there wos one.....X

toddy.jpg

....why we wos dressed as 60's....I dunno......!!!!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

Edit....had a pm....the total to date is 21,372 watches since xmas.......yes...GOBSMACKED!!!!x How much....HOW MUCH???...say a tenner a piece...........naaaa...don;t wanna know!!! They say what u give out comes back 10 fold....biblical stuff....well....me £19k win on the 0-0 draw is a start........sigh.....hehe!!!x

@@

~

X

Edited by SOOTY
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

I have posted one of this guy's photos before but hope you don't mind another. I belong to the Friends group of our local Park and there is a guy who takes some absolutely fabulous photos in the Park and the countryside which extends beyond it. Here is just one. There are more on the Friends' website if you scroll down below the top 3 photos: http://www.friendsofdartmouthpark.org.uk/

150120%20Grey%20Heron.jpg

Social source share

I have posted one of this guy's photos before but hope you don't mind another. I belong to the Friends group of our local Park and there is a guy who takes some absolutely fabulous photos in the Park and the countryside which extends beyond it. Here is just one. There are more on the Friends' website if you scroll down below the top 3 photos: http://www.friendsofdartmouthpark.org.uk/

150120%20Grey%20Heron.jpg

Some fantastic pictures . Thanks for reposting link

Steve

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Some fantastic pictures . Thanks for reposting link

Steve

Steve the guy is great. He has got some pretty decent equipment - I wouldn't even guess what. But he is so committed. He will sit for hours waiting to get exactly the shot he wants.

And I've seen him taking photos at events. You might have the mayor and entourage and one official Press photographer. He just climbs under the rope and positions himself exactly where he wants to be. I've never seen anyone tell him off or move him on! :D

Social source share

Just put some road kill in the bait freezer ready to take to a taxidermist i know.

A female barn owl in good nick. I had one set up a few years ago and looks the nuts,would rather see them alive and well though.

Will put picture up later.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ah, I thought there might be other, local, names! Thanks for that.

Any idea how that description came to be??

No idea we are a strange breed,couple of others for you.

Nannys diswasher = Pied wagtail.

Herring spink=Goldcrest.(to do with local fishing industry)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Shame the Norfolk dialect is dying out

I always like to think of Lord Nelson commanding the Fleet into battle with a broad Norfolk accent. :)

Social source share

Shame the Norfolk dialect is dying out will post some more up later.

I grew up in Kent during the 2nd half of my childhood. A friend's grandfather had a broad rural Kentish accent - something that I think had almost completely disappeared by that time. It was difficult to understand what he was saying. Mind you, he lost all his teeth when he was kicked in the face by a horse in WWI, so that might have had something to do with it!

False teeth aside, I remember asking for directions when we were out in the Kentish countryside one time and really didn't understand a word the guy was saying so thick was his local accent.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Just as well they had semaphore.

Steve, Had to put my anorak on to make this post - but actually no semaphore as we know it in Nelson's time. It was still flags raised up the masts (or lamps in dark/fog) for orders and communication between ships. :yes: 

Social source share

I grew up in Kent during the 2nd half of my childhood. A friend's grandfather had a broad rural Kentish accent - something that I think had almost completely disappeared by that time. It was difficult to understand what he was saying. Mind you, he lost all his teeth when he was kicked in the face by a horse in WWI, so that might have had something to do with it!

False teeth aside, I remember asking for directions when we were out in the Kentish countryside one time and really didn't understand a word the guy was saying so thick was his local accent.

A few more bird names from Norfolk.

Jill Hooter -owl

Hedge Betty-Hedge Sparrow

Harnser-Heron

Buttle-Bittern

Caddow/Cadder-Jackdaw

Furrow Chuck-Whinchat

Greenulf-Greenfinch

King Harry-Goldfinch

Oven Bird-Long Tailed Tit.

Told you were a rum breed!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Jill Hooter -owl

Harnser-Heron

Buttle-Bittern

Caddow/Cadder-Jackdaw

Furrow Chuck-Whinchat

Greenulf-Greenfinch

King Harry-Goldfinch

Don,t know if these alternative bird names are just local to Yorkshire but here are a few.

Scribbling Lark - Yellow Hammer

Storm Cock - Mistle Thrush

Spuggies - Sparrows

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Don,t know if these alternative bird names are just local to Yorkshire but here are a few.

Spuggies - Sparrows

Thought furrow chuck would take some beating....But storm cock:-)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Steve, Had to put my anorak on to make this post - but actually no semaphore as we know it in Nelson's time. It was still flags raised up the masts (or lamps in dark/fog) for orders and communication between ships. :yes:

Of course, it was Popham's Telegraphic Signals of Marine Vocabulary.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Of course, it was Popham's Telegraphic Signals of Marine Vocabulary.

Steve You are so right. :) The official Signal Book was still in use for orders etc. but supplemented by Popham's code which allowed more normal "conversations" between ships. Used for the "England Expects" signal. You can tell what one of my other hobbies is. LOL :yes:

Social source share

Jill Hooter -owl

Harnser-Heron

Buttle-Bittern

Caddow/Cadder-Jackdaw

Furrow Chuck-Whinchat

Greenulf-Greenfinch

King Harry-Goldfinch

Spuggies - Sparrows

Absolutely fascinating! How did you guys learn these names? I mean, are/were they in regular use locally, are they part of the local/regional dialect, are they taught in schools locally?

One of the reasons for asking is that I knew that a Mistle Thrush was also known as a Storm Cock. I think I learnt that from the Observer Book of Birds c.early 70s. Does that mean it was a common name that's just fallen out use or did it somehow gain greater prominence through something like a poem or a story?

Social source share

Absolutely fascinating! How did you guys learn these names? I mean, are/were they in regular use locally, are they part of the local/regional dialect, are they taught in schools locally?

One of the reasons for asking is that I knew that a Mistle Thrush was also known as a Storm Cock. I think I learnt that from the Observer Book of Birds c.early 70s. Does that mean it was a common name that's just fallen out use or did it somehow gain greater prominence through something like a poem or a story?

The three I quoted where names learned when I was growing up in Yorkshire , the Stormcock seems to be a name used widely the other two maybe regional.

The reason the Yellowhammer is called a Scribbling Lark is because of the pattern on the birds egg.

Social source share

The three I quoted where names learned when I was growing up in Yorkshire , the Stormcock seems to be a name used widely the other two maybe regional.

The reason the Yellowhammer is called a Scribbling Lark is because of the pattern on the birds egg.

I hope someone's keeping a note of these for the benefit of future generations. They're to good to lose.

I though 'Scribbling Lark' was obscure enough, but what's the logic behind 'Spuggies'? Sounds like a melding of 'Sparrows' and 'Budgies', but that's a wild guess on my part.

Social source share

I hope someone's keeping a note of these for the benefit of future generations. They're to good to lose.

I though 'Scribbling Lark' was obscure enough, but what's the logic behind 'Spuggies'? Sounds like a melding of 'Sparrows' and 'Budgies', but that's a wild guess on my part.

Vaguely remember sparrows being called spadgers

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Don't know the reason for the name of Spuggies but your guess seems very plausible   :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share