Signatures On Records

• Replies 33
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest uroffal

Does signing records add to the records value, add to the history or de-value it ? I have a lot of records signed by the artist, but can never make up my mind if this is a good thing.

I also have others that have names in the run out or on the label from other previous owners.

Would guess this is the same as anything collectable, unless it can be independently verified or you have a photograph of the individual signing it - it actually devalues it (as it is considered to be defaced by having writing on it!).

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

We had a thread on here a couple of years ago where people were trying to trace the people who wrote their names on the labels. It was a good fun thread, and a few were actually reunited.

I'd see a signature by the artist as a plus, but I know there are a few on here who disagree.

Social source share

Does signing records add to the records value, add to the history or de-value it ? I have a lot of records signed by the artist, but can never make up my mind if this is a good thing.

I also have others that have names in the run out or on the label from other previous owners.

Well I'll have you know, I've got a demo copy of Doomsday(Voc & Inst) on the limited Tomorrow label signed by Evelyn Thomas herself, and given to me by the actual (alleged) writer of the record. I think his name was Ivan Latrean.

As it says "not for sale" on it, I won't part with it so no use asking :unsure::ohmy:

Paul

Social source share

Good question Dave. If they are legit signatures IMO they should add value. I have a copy of a crackin' blue-eyed stomper by called 'She's Gone' by Jerry G & Co on Clevetown- has been signed by Jerry G to someone else, looks legit enough but not sure if I'd get anymore for it?

Remember when it seemed to be fashionable though in the late 70's to either write tyour name (tho I never did) or plonk a big 'X' on the play side of records!!

Social source share

Would guess this is the same as anything collectable, unless it can be independently verified or you have a photograph of the individual signing it - it actually devalues it (as it is considered to be defaced by having writing on it!).

Assume Kenny Burrell is okay then as there is film footage of Frank Wilson signing his £15k single :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Assume Kenny Burrell is okay then as there is film footage of Frank Wilson signing his £15k single :unsure:

But is it the 'real' Frank Wilson (the artist not the record) in the video? :ohmy:

Social source share

tim Finch used to do this with all his stuff,also col(cg) taylor
Social source share

Guest uroffal

Good question, feckin liberty if it ain't! :ohmy:

Must have been a damn good impersonator to convince all those folk at that do. You seen swons?

Don't take any notice of me I'm losing it! I've been on 'gardening leave' from work for 3 weeks now - this forum is the only company I have during the daytime!

Social source share

Guest uroffal

And damn good company it is too. No? :ohmy:

'Gardening Leave'? :unsure:

It certainly is :ohmy:

I understand it is term used for staff who are kept on full pay, but are requested to stay away from work until an investigation has taken place! Good job I found out when I did because for the first 3 days I was relaying the grass (apologies for this rubbish joke).

Social source share

Hi all ,i've got loads of records signed up by the artist's but i would not let any of them sign the label IMO it de values the record,but all mine are signed on the sleeve.

Most are from Prestatyn & 100 club events.

The weirdest thing signed is a wrapper signed up by Melvin Davis at Prestatyn of a chocolate bar (hershey's).he was peckish i gave it too him and he duly ate it then signed the wrapper "i owe Toby a candy bar a hungry Melvin Davis".Tack i know but still nice to keep as a momento.. :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Hi all ,i've got loads of records signed up by the artist's but i would not let any of them sign the label IMO it de values the record,but all mine are signed on the sleeve.

Most are from Prestatyn & 100 club events.

The weirdest thing signed is a wrapper signed up by Melvin Davis at Prestatyn of a chocolate bar (hershey's).he was peckish i gave it too him and he duly ate it then signed the wrapper "i owe Toby a candy bar a hungry Melvin Davis".Tack i know but still nice to keep as a momento.. :ohmy:

Isn't Melvin Davis's son a Rapper? (Oh I'm so sorrry, but I think he really is)

Social source share

Any writing on a lable will devalue a record the only time it would increase the value is if it were a Beatles single signed by the band or hendrix, that kind of thing, there isn't enough world wide collecting** to conemplate asking for more on price just because is signed by......lets face it a nobody

** Yes i know there is a world wide collecting circle on 60's soul/northern soul ect, but these artists are not famous enough, a fully certified signature of say George Harrison could fetch thousands and thousands of pounds just for the autograph alone :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest uroffal

:ohmy::unsure:

* Not into me! to cut a very long (and boring) story short, I work for a Students' Union (this is made up of full-time staff and elected student 'officers') one of the student officers is alledged to have attempted to assault my line manager. So the University is investigating.

* Apologies to Dave Thorley for taking this thread so far form its original content.

Social source share

* Not into me! to cut a very long (and boring) story short, I work for a Students' Union (this is made up of full-time staff and elected student 'officers') one of the student officers is alledged to have attempted to assault my line manager. So the University is investigating.

* Apologies to Dave Thorley for taking this thread so far form its original content.

No, this sound more interesting :ohmy:

Social source share

Sabbs aren't like that are they :ohmy: anyway you would be off this time of year as it's so quiet :ohmy: and cos of all the hours you have worked over the year annualised hours are great aren't they :P .

Anyway I am sure there is a protocol that means I've said enough already :D

Social source share

Cool, so you didn't chin anyone, and were'nt chinned yourself ... But get 3 weeks + off work. :D

Now thats nice on full money ... :P

Edited by Simsy
Social source share

Guest rachel

Isn't Melvin Davis's son a Rapper? (Oh I'm so sorrry, but I think he really is)

Yes, I think so, seen them perform together at a couple of venues (think it was them anyway :D )

yeah c'mon spill the beans (coz we're nosey b******s) :P

But in Freebasing please if you want to go into any more detail, thankyou.... :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Sabbs aren't like that are they :P anyway you would be off this time of year as it's so quiet :D and cos of all the hours you have worked over the year annualised hours are great aren't they :P .

Anyway I am sure there is a protocol that means I've said enough already :D

Sounds like you know toooo much! And yes there is protocol that means you've said enough.

But in Freebasing please if you want to go into any more detail, thankyou.... :ohmy:

Will start a thread in Freebasing - sorry :ohmy:

Social source share

No one's scribbling on my records, or LP sleeves come to that, no way!

I don"t care if your'e Jean Carne, no way!

PS Good luck with the new venue Dave, good to see you've got Thierry from Brussels lined up, top bloke, great modern DJ
:P

Cheers Paul 'n' Mandy

Social source share

No one's scribbling on my records, or LP sleeves come to that, no way!

I don"t care if your'e Jean Carne, no way!

PS Good luck with the new venue Dave, good to see you've got Thierry from Brussels lined up, top bloke, great modern DJ
:ohmy:

Cheers Paul 'n' Mandy

Get yourselves over on a cheap flight, you know you want to :D:P

Social source share

Get yourselves over on a cheap flight, you know you want to
:D:ohmy:

We'll see what we can do mate, busy time for us 'round then tho' Barbara Lewis live in Belgium, Frankfurt weekender coming up 'an we'll just be back from US holiday which could be a dear do. Still you never know, we sure know we wanna!
:P

Cheers P+M

PS Did you read the Brussels reports on EMS?

Social source share

On this autograph thread here's a story - a few years ago I bought a copy of open the door to your heart b/w if you walk out of my life by doni burdick from a UK dealer. Anyway the open the door side had some writing on it - last year I hooked up with Doni before his prestayn appearance and sent him a scan of the 45 - it turned out that not only was it his autograph on the 45 I had but also he remembered the person he gave it to as she was someone he worked with when the record was released... what a small world

Mike

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

now don't make me out to be a brain box but i have always belived any record which is signed by an artist would be rarer then just the plain old record.

For some Northern soul it could be cause artist is obscure obviously means it's still rare

But i would have said the bigger the artist the more rarer. Ie

Would say a Kenny Smith single signed be worth more then a Diana Ross signed single (surely not)

Social source share

Difficult one to answer, but i do have a few things autographed on the label by various artists, for me this adds to the 45'/LP, but i suppose a mint clean label and wax is the perfect article. Still wouldn't swap my autographed copies for anything though, so i guess in conclusion it's what suits the individual. I mean i'd rather strike somebody with a Field Marshalls "Baton" then say a 15mm "Dragon Cane"....all very subjective.

Brett

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

I have a number of 45's signed by the artist(s) and I think it adds history to the 45, I know they can't be verified, but most of my signed 45's are demos and look as if they were done when the record was sent out as a promo. Can't see it adding any value so why would you forge some long lost forgotten 45 that the world forgot the day it went out.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!