Will Not Ship To The United Kingdom

Perhaps it is because of the constant whinging about postage costs, customs charges, UK post office charges, ebay global shipping,  too much packing - not enough packing ....... and even demands that they lie and break the law to falsify customs declarations.....I've seen all these things on here......just a thought.....Mike

pretty much what i was gonna post mike 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Perhaps it is because of the constant whinging about postage costs, customs charges, UK post office charges, ebay global shipping,  too much packing - not enough packing ....... and even demands that they lie and break the law to falsify customs declarations.....I've seen all these things on here......just a thought.....Mike

Yes that could be the reasons.  But they are not going to make much money if they don't sell to the UK. 

They are probably getting the records for next to nothing, but want top $ for them and no come backs! 

Collectors have to pay a very high cost to collect records, so should be entitiled to complain when things don't go right!

(It's ironic that USA soul 45's would hardly be worth anything, if it wasn't for the UK Northern Soul scene's fanatical interest in them for the last 40 + years!)

Edited by Guest
Social source share

With deals that include shipping at $20, $40 per item, I'm not surprised US sellers are becoming "reluctant" to sell to the UK and Europe. The negative feedback on shipping is too damaging. I just paid nigh on $20 to have a very slim newspaper shipped to me in the Netherlands.

I queried the seller and they said it'd be sent in LP packaging so that it was extra secure. All I got for that 20 bucks was literally that - an LP carton and a newspaper. There was no actual protection whatsoever. Increasingly sellers are ripping buyers off through extortionate p&p.

Craig Moerer and plenty of others can still ship 45s to Europe at under 10 bucks. Why then do others have to charge double, triple that? Enough is enough - and I think rip-off US sellers are getting the message.

Sadly though it's ultimately to our own detriment!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Well Mike….I can't speak for anyone else but personally, I rarely buy from the U.S now for precisely the reasons you've pointed out,[u.S.customs charges].These days, If I do fancy a punt on ebay then I contact the seller beforehand to make sure they are OK with putting a low value on the packaging. Long winded and absolutely tedious I know but that way,everyone knows whats expected of the deal. No doubt you think I'm breaking the law there  :)  Sorry, but I think we all pay enough in bullshit charges without this extra little earner for the government on top.Its simply not worth all the aggro otherwise is it ? If the U.S seller doesn't want to do this then thats fine and personally I wouldn't bother bidding[i have to say though,it hasn't happened yet ! ].

Obviously, this only applies to the more expensive items.

As "Solidsoul" rightly points out too, the main demand and reason for the "price tag" for a large percentage of Rare Soul is directly down to UK scene demand,so, who's fooling who ? :g:

My advice to UK collectors is this: If the U.S. sellers won't play the game,take your business elsewhere. Theres plenty of tunes out there….

Social source share

Ever noticed how it the cheapest records always seem to have the higher shipping costs? Maybe its a coincidence. My sense is not many dealers look at the various options open to them. I once contacted a dealer and asked if they could ship it cheaper and they responded by saying if "I" can find a cheaper option then they'd ship it that way and and at that price, like I'm gonna spend time researching USA postal services on their behalf. If it was Al Williams for $25 maybe, but not an average record.

As I mentioned on another thread one dealer told me after winning a record in auction that what they thought should happen is that "we" should get insurance and tracking by me paying another $10 on top of the already $12 shipping cost. So they get peace of mind I don't rip them off by claiming non delivery (they can claim insurance) that I have paid for. As I explained if I wanted to pay extra shipping and import duty I'd buy from a dealer over here or in EU of which at least 4 copies were for sale on Discogs.

Interestingly enough the dealer sent the 45 at the cheaper delivery price with no problems, but they now have another copy of the same 45 up for sale (I wonder how many they have found?) At a set sale of $230 despite being able to pay less for that on Soul Source recentley. $230 is the same average selling price on Discogs, so despite me pointing out that its easier to buy from the UK or Europe at that price they still have gone on and are trying to achieve that sort of price despite the risk of import duty and high postage costs, pretty much sums up USA ebay except for the odd exception you have to work hard for or are lucky with.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!