Where To Start Out When You're New To The Scene?

Guest Joey Collins

Guest Mr Faye

Hi there everyone.

I'm Joey I'm 20 from the north east england. I've been collecting motown records for about a year now. I'm getting more and more interested in the northern soul scene.. problem is I really don't no where to start looking ha! What record labels to look out for? what artists are essential to listen to when starting out? what to stay away from? Good cheap records when starting a collection? Really hope some of you experienced soulies on this forum can help me.

Thanks anyway Joey! any help is appreciated! :)

I'm 18, and the best way to learn is to get out as often as you can, get to know more and more people, and to listen to your elders ;)

Social source share

• 4 years later...

I was lucky enough to be blessed with an older brother who had very good taste from a stupidly early age and has actively been on the scene for 40+ years so, most of what I learned I got from him, the over riding theme is to get to events get to see DJs like Dave Evison, Ted Massey, Mick H, Dave Rimmer, Sean Chapman, Nige Brown, Kev Roberts, Martin Calderbank, Martin Stanford, Jordan Wilson, Andy Smith, Kev and Denise Draper there are tons of others I could name but, these guys know their stuff, play OVO, are approachable so, will answer questions and it's the quickest way to hear how approximately 150 tunes in a night,  500+ plus tunes at a nighter sound, what people respond to and most importantly what you like. The sound of something through the speakers in a packed hall surrounded by passionate people dancing versus playing it in your bedroom or through earphones on your ipod is the difference between day and night. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!