Mal C

Bill Oddie - I Can't Get Through / Ultimate Twitcher Beat Ballad

just came across this on Facebook... I'm twitchin!!

From the net: Bill Oddie - I Can't Get Through.... Yes, that Bill Oddie, on Parlophone no less. Great, self-penned soul-pop-ballad taken from the album Saint Etienne Present Songs For the Dog & Duck on Ace. Bob Stanley rates it the best ever single by a TV personality. Originally released on Parlophone in 1966.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PlLVqrGlRg

Edited by Mal C

Guest johnny hart

Best Song by TV,[proper megastars not todays wannabes] Celeb;  Cilla; "Yo Yo" and "Everything I Touch Turns To Tears","The Real Thing" Surprise ,Surprise, not bad,produced by George Martin, who had fleeting success with 4 Scouse  Moptops!

just came across this on Facebook... I'm twitchin!!

From the net: Bill Oddie - I Can't Get Through.... Yes, that Bill Oddie, on Parlophone no less. Great, self-penned soul-pop-ballad taken from the album Saint Etienne Present Songs For the Dog & Duck on Ace. Bob Stanley rates it the best ever single by a TV personality. Originally released on Parlophone in 1966.

Got me a twitchin' anyway, I totally get where he's coming from:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/micksway/

Great record!

Great record, been after it for years, never seen one!

I remember you putting me onto this a few years ago Pete, couldn't believe how good it was when I heard it. Happily, managed to pick up a copy, a Demo at that. Not a minter like I'd like but good enough. :thumbsup:

Incidentally Pete, where did you get the sound file from that I listened to if you'd never seen one before? Were you put onto it by somebody else?

Edited by denbo

I remember you putting me onto this a few years ago Pete, couldn't believe how good it was when I heard it. Happily, managed to pick up a copy, a Demo at that. Not a minter like I'd like but good enough. :thumbsup:

Incidentally Pete, where did you get the sound file from that I listened to if you'd never seen one before? Where you put onto it by somebody else?

Probably off someone like Roy Gelder, I used to have hundreds of tapes of UK stuff, chucked most of them now

Hmmm, this has been around a while (well from 1966 at least) good that he wrote it and not bad, but to me a little second rate Gene Pitney in terms of big production as opposed to vocal style.

No mention of Dennis Waterman and I Could Be So Good For You!

Watching the video and seeing the pictures I wonder if she ever gave any of The Beatles "one" or should that be wun, ba boom, tish, I'll get me coat.

I do hope the co writer Barnes wasn't JJ on an early effort!

Best Song by TV,[proper megastars not todays wannabes] Celeb;  Cilla; "Yo Yo" and "Everything I Touch Turns To Tears","The Real Thing" Surprise ,Surprise, not bad,produced by George Martin, who had fleeting success with 4 Scouse  Moptops!

The last 2 are LP only I think?

Apparently, Bill Oddie was quite a regular at the Wheel, so not that much of a surprise that he made such a record. I love it myself, and a good friend of mine who has been into the scene for as long if not longer than myself, some 45 years odd, when hearing it recently for the first time, reckons it better than 'Drifter'?? But again, that's only personal opinions.

On 11/01/2015 at 12:58, Chris Turnbull said:

Like the bit where he says 'You're not to blame, baby' 

Best ever single by a TV personality? Got to be this one:-

Will this be adopted by Brexit gang?

Guest Johnny One Trout
On 11 January 2015 at 12:58, Chris Turnbull said:

Like the bit where he says 'You're not to blame, baby' 

Best ever single by a TV personality? Got to be this one:-

Am I the only one that detects an homage to Steve Marriott and the Small Faces lurking in this atrocity .............

Well Bloody Hell, I've only been and gone and found a demo copy of Bill YESSSSS!!!
Been after it for ages, and that BUZZ when you find one you've been looking for, OOOEEEE!!
Mint- Condition. Very Pleased.

Bill Oddie.jpg

Edited by Northern Soul UK

21 hours ago, Northern Soul UK said:

Well Bloody Hell, I've only been and gone and found a demo copy of Bill YESSSSS!!!
Been after it for ages, and that BUZZ when you find one you've been looking for, OOOEEEE!!

Bill Oddie.jpg

Here's another demo for sale, apparently this one is about Mods.....

https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/494733410?utm_campaign=sell_email_new&utm_medium=email&format=Vinyl&text=Bill-Oddie-Nothing-Better-To-Do&ev=wh_new&utm_source=relationship

On 20/09/2017 at 21:49, Northern Soul UK said:

Bill Oddie.jpg

Where did you find it / how much?

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.