Soul Trousers

This topic may well be for the soulies of rotherham and sheffield .

soul suit's made by george on the outside market in rotherham. Does anyone remember him ? did you have any clothing made by him . He is still around in leeds making suit's . His saying was it will be ready next week lads.

Edited by PALM DAVE
Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

Got a pair of pants made by a tailor in Preston in the early-seventies, " I want them parallel, 28" wide at the bottom, 3 deep pleats each side at the front, 2 slant pockets, low waistband with 9 belt loops, zip fly, two slit button pockets at the back, no turn-ups, in black, and crease resistant....OK" ? He said...."You really know what you want, don't you" ? Cost me £30 and took 3 weeks, worth every penny.

Social source share

Got a pair of pants made by a tailor in Preston in the early-seventies, " I want them parallel, 28" wide at the bottom, 3 deep pleats each side at the front, 2 slant pockets, low waistband with 9 belt loops, zip fly, two slit button pockets at the back, no turn-ups, in black, and crease resistant....OK" ? He said...."You really know what you want, don't you" ? Cost me £30 and took 3 weeks, worth every penny.

Paid about the same for a pair from Hepworth's back in '75.  30" parallels, side seam pockets, tunnel loops, two pleats each side, buttoned down flap pockets on the back, one front cash pocket with flap, plain bottoms.

Social source share

roxy rob from nottingham top tailor still got the first pair i ever had of him cant get in um mind but one day maybe pmsl

Used to to go to Roxy Threads and was it Birdcage ? then Selectadisc nearly every other weekend , Solatios , now they were the shoes , happy days eh?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

You had to be a well paid miner to go to Jelonek's. :thumbup: .Me,i used to make do.

Robinsons was more expensive mate and better quality. First weeks wages ( yes from the pit ) in July 1977 put £5 deposit on a pair which were about £28 I think. Had about 6 pair plus a suit from there over the next couple of years.

The dogs nuts ….. at the time :)

Social source share

Used to to go to Roxy Threads and was it Birdcage ? then Selectadisc nearly every other weekend , Solatios , now they were the shoes , happy days eh?

Saw an advert for solatios somewhere recently, you can still get them apparently :huh:

Didn't know what they were called back then but had a black pair with blue & grey panels on 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Is it right there are 3 bespoke tailors in Louth? I know a mate of mine had some kecks made last year but the bloke took ages to do them.

Social source share

Is it right there are 3 bespoke tailors in Louth? I know a mate of mine had some kecks made last year but the bloke took ages to do them.

There used to be Forbes , Grahams and Dodgy Trevs (and I'll leave it at that for him!! cause it was only your inside leg he was interested in :wicked: ) bet your mate had them from Dodgy Trev 'cause he took forever ! , a mate of mine ordered one of his Wedding suit about 3 months before one of his weddings  :lol: (been married 3 times) and it eventually came the morning of his wedding . We now have a place called Bromleys which was in town and then he took over Grahams premises and he's really good but I think he sends his stuff out to be done and always does you a bloody good deal , trouble is he's a Villa fan  :g:  :lol:

Swifty :thumbsup:

Edited by SWIFTY
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Birdcage was it near Selectadisc.? Roxy Threads ,Hockley.? Memory like a seive. Used to go to both as well. :lol:

Social source share

Birdcage was it near Selectadisc.? Roxy Threads ,Hockley.? Memory like a seive. Used to go to both as well. :lol:

Kev , I'm sure Selecta when it moved into town was just further up the hill than Birdcage , I think  :g: but having said that it was a bloody long time ago matey. Used to go with Rob Thomas and Kate and his brother Martin and sometimes we'd stay over then go to Ilkeston Co-Op for the night , I reckon one of the blokes we would meet up with was called John Black , or I may be making all this up ??????????? Who knows  :lol:

Social source share

Got a pair of shoes from the Chinese cobbler on HMS Bulwark in 1980.  I gave him a picture I'd cut out of a catalogue and picked the leather I wanted from what he had on board.  I then stood barefoot on a piece of paper whilst he drew round my feet and took a few measurements.  A week later, a pair of handmade tassel loafers for the princely sum of £20.

Trouble is, half an hour later I wanted another pair.

Edited by Steve S 60
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Used to go to Bogeys in Skeg Vegas , 48 Buttons 40" Bottoms 6" Waistband 12 Pockets etc, etc. Pick them up next week

for £12 , go out somewhere for the night in 'em , come back 26 Buttons & 9 Pockets and a very creased and folded 3" waistband  :yes:  :lol:

If I remember correctly he used to have an A board outside with Dennis the menace on it and a stall on Boston market,what a blast from the past  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Kev , I'm sure Selecta when it moved into town was just further up the hill than Birdcage , I think  :g: but having said that it was a bloody long time ago matey. Used to go with Rob Thomas and Kate and his brother Martin and sometimes we'd stay over then go to Ilkeston Co-Op for the night , I reckon one of the blokes we would meet up with was called John Black , or I may be making all this up ??????????? Who knows  :lol:

john black used to dj at ilkeston coop. selectadisc was just round the corner from birdcage on bridlesmith gate

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Wasn't everyone called John Black from Ilkeston.? Thinking black vests !!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

George must have been working on Rotherham market for a number of years then because me and a few other mods from Rotherham used to have trousers tailored by george from bout 1984 through to about 1988. Thank god he never got our stuff mixed up with the Miami vice suits he used to sell to the "trendies" of Rotherham!!!

Social source share

George must have been working on Rotherham market for a number of years then because me and a few other mods from Rotherham used to have trousers tailored by george from bout 1984 through to about 1988. Thank god he never got our stuff mixed up with the Miami vice suits he used to sell to the "trendies" of Rotherham!!!

We started buying trousers off him from around 1978. after paying to much for them from Keith mallinson.

Social source share

This topic may well be for the soulies of rotherham and sheffield .

soul suit's made by george on the outside market in rotherham. Does anyone remember him ? did you have any clothing made by him . He is still around in leeds making suit's . His saying was it will be ready next week lads.e

Can you tell me what a soul suit is please .

As a Rotherham resident for all my 59 years the only tailor I remember on the market was a guy who made suits for a shop called Lees on the inside market. 

Edited by shinehead
Social source share

We started buying trousers off him from around 1978. after paying to much for them from Keith mallinson.

Yes, Mallinsons was another of the tailors we used to use quite regularly, along with another tailors in darnall who I think is still going strong

Social source share

Can you tell me what a soul suit is please .

As a Rotherham resident for all my 59 years the only tailor I remember on the market was a guy who made suits for a shop called Lees on the inside market. 

George stood on the outside  market at the top of the escalator. He was there for a number of years probably about 8 years

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!