Coolest Label Design

Dayo

post-1272-1099917739_thumb.jpg

Surely there has never been a label design more cool, more evocative, than the original US Motown label design?

From the first "import" I ever bought (Tammi Terrell, This Old Heart Of Mine), to the present day, a glimpse of this label make my heart beat just a tad faster.

Case closed? :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 58
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

post-1272-1099917739_thumb.jpg

Surely there has never been a label design more cool, more evocative, than the original US Motown label design?

From the first "import" I ever bought (Tammi Terrell, This Old Heart Of Mine), to the present day, a glimpse of this label make my heart beat just a tad faster.

Case closed?  :)

link

Record labels, for me its reparata and the delrones, (panic). First discovered by my brother on a cambridge record market (71-72). He first picked it up because he was attracted to the label, and you are talking about matellic design on the label in the early 70's was something different then, cut a story short first played at Wigan, the floor come to a stand still, great spinning record!

Cheers Billy

Social source share

i think that the fee labels a funky design,havn't got a scan though

link

Do you mean the 'across town' shot type label?

Pretty cool dem, remind me of the Mercury ones which have a similar shot (Although the FEE is drawn and the Mercury is more Photo-like).

FEE had some pretty plain ones also, Blue, Orange and obviously the WD's.

My scanner isn't working so I can't put them up!! Sorry

Jamie

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

To me one of the coolest label designs is Troy Dodds - El Camino. But I don't have it, so I can't scan it :)

But this one is pretty nice, too. Especially because what's standing on the label you get out of the speakers. :)

post-1905-1099939172_thumb.jpg

Edited by soulie78
Social source share

Record labels, for me its reparata and the delrones, (panic). First discovered by my brother on a cambridge record market (71-72). He first picked it up because he was attracted to the label, and you are talking about matellic design on the label in the early 70's was something different then, cut a story short first played at Wigan, the floor come to a stand still, great spinning record!

Cheers Billy

link

Just talking to my mate on the phone Marky,talking about record labels I mention the above label on panic he said it was mention in the early B.S mag by the late Dave Godin,I'am not to sure if the label justified the record or the record justified the label don't answer that or I will be on your case LOL.

Cheers Billy :)

Social source share

Here's them FEE & Mercury Labels I was on about last night......

Hope these work, first time I've tried them.

post-1261-1100089645_thumb.jpg

post-1261-1100089659_thumb.jpg

post-1261-1100089670_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

Think I have mentioned this before Jamie , try this link and download the program it is so simple and effective for re sizing photos.I use it all the time.#

https://www.irfanview.com/

link

Tried it with Irfanview. Tell you what, I'll start a thread on tools & tackle then it doesn't ruin this one.

J

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Let's be honest there are quite simply loads to choose from this one is one of my personal favourites but sadly i don't own it mores the pity

post-1207-1100014442_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Let's be honest there are quite simply loads to choose from this one is one of my personal favourites but sadly i don't own it mores the pity

link

Agreed Johnson,

Would very much like to have that in the box.

Hopefully I'll outlive you all and eventually own one :)

Social source share

Have to aggree with The Party Time logo being one of the best, but I like this lot too (if you need to see a scan I'm sure benji has them. https://labelscans.anorakrecords.de):

Tayster - Love the quirky dancers, although later issues got a bit boring <_<

Twinight - 70's design; Nate Evans, etc. SPEAKING OF THIS, HAS ANYONE GOT A SPARE COPY?

Palmer - Simple but striking

Rampart - Looks good, but have never seen a copy close-up, so if anyone could provide a scan, tht's be great!

Earthworld - Think this has got to be the best; totally unreadable, but you just know it's gonna be fab looking at it :)

Grrr :angry:

Social source share

Probably not as good as the Motown design but always loved the SURESHOT label.

John. :rolleyes:

link

Used to love the Sureshot label a lot - that is til I sat on my copy of Bobby Williams and broke it in half. Now I hate the bloody label!

Moonshot is quite cool too.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Here's another FEE one for Jimmy.

Anybody got any more FEE labels???

link

I'm sure it's a great scan really Jehosephat shame you didn't want to share after the hype :rolleyes:

Social source share

I'm sure it's a great scan really Jehosephat shame you didn't want to share after the hype  :huh:

link

Funny :P

Had 'technical' problems but the Volvo Kid sorted me :rolleyes:

Social source share

Here's a couple of Wand one's from 'Opening Bars' Thread.

Anyone tell me why there is a difference in text colour???

post-1261-1100083811_thumb.jpg

post-1261-1100083824_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

Here's another FEE one for Jimmy.

Anybody got any more FEE labels???

link

I think the Flaming Emeralds also came out on other colour (Blue ?) that is a bit ahrder, never seen one myself, great little label, dont supposed anyone has a Beverley & Duane or an ADC 45 on Fee to sell???

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

I think the Flaming Emeralds also came out on other colour (Blue ?) that is a bit ahrder, never seen one myself, great little label, dont supposed anyone has a Beverley & Duane or an ADC 45 on Fee to sell???

Cheers

Jock

link

It did come out on blue, they were both available as new releases at the same time in fact the blue may be 2nd

pete

Social source share

The Blue is rarer. My mate Mally has got one. Tosser won't swap.

Not sure which way round the issues came out, but I do know there are less in numbers on the Blue issue.

Then again, I might be wrong as usual!!!LOL

Jamie

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

I must say i preffer the Volt label, Motown's nice but i don't know.. not that cool i think :P

Othervise, personal faves must be Earth World, Chattahoocee and other really multicoloured, messy labels.. :rolleyes::huh:

best

Leo

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!