Do You Think I'm Going To Be The Victim Of Greed?

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Guest MissHongkongfuey

A couple of weeks ago a long time want came up and I'd saved money in hope that it would. I found a copy in the US but it was one of those items featuring the "Global Shipping Program"!

I messaged the seller and asked if she would consider a buy now price. I made it clear that I wasn't after a cheap price, in fact I was willing to pay top end of its current value. I also explained why buyers in the UK are avoiding US sales because of GSP and or UK customs, so although she wanted to keep it going through the auction process, she agreed that if I became the highest bidder, she would remove it from GSP when it came to paying for the item.

So, at the end of the auction, I was the highest bidder at $361 but the reserve was not met. She explained that she'd done her homework on the item and that's why the reserve was set as it was at $400.

Rather deflated, I then messaged her again to ask if she would be re-listing. She said yes and explained that her starting price would be higher but nearer to the reserve she wanted, so it was re-listed starting at $350. She had also removed the GSP. There wasn't any postage stated for overseas buyers, so I messaged her once again to be told that shipping was free to anywhere in the world. She also opted for a finishing time of 8pm here and was honest enough to say that it was to make it more appealing to UK & European buyers and I totally understand that.

So.... I waited the 7 days. Slapped on my highest bid and won the item for less than I would have won it the previous week!! $350, the opening price with no other bidders! I couldn't have been more thrilled. Even opened a bottle of fizz that I'd saved from my birthday!

When it came to paying for the item, I wasn't able to, because no postage costs had been specified and I needed to wait for an invoice. I messaged the seller to ask and thought that maybe because of the time difference, it would be best to just hang on.

3 messages later and I'm still being ignored. Every previous message had been answered quite swiftly but not these ones. I contacted ebay this morning and all they were able to do was contact her on my behalf asking for her to invoice me.

My gut feeling is that she isn't going to complete the sale and I'm that sad about it, I sobbed like a baby this morning. It's only a mid priced record to most on here, but for me it's 2 weeks wages and I am a low income worker. Saving is the only way I can afford anything £50 and above!!

I just think she'll back out of the sale because she thinks its worth more. Surely, if I win this record both times, my bids are the best she can achieve in an open market. :(  :(  :( 

Does this happen a lot with Ebay sales????

Social source share

Does this happen a lot with Ebay sales????

Not in my experience with ebay. Other boards / chat rooms or groups yes more there.

Do put a want out on here though. Some kind soul might help. You would be forgiven karma wise for pulling out the other sale. 

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Awww Bless You All!

I have already posted in the wants section a while back and on the usual facebook groups also. I did get offered one by a reputable chap on here for £300, which I thought was a little steep for me. When I lost it the first time due to the over optimistic reserve, I did offer him the full £300 "all in" after first offering him £250, but he had promised it to another chap in Europe and is an absolute Gent for keeping his word.

I still think my original 2 prices when winning on Ebay were extremely fair and current. (Recently sold on one dealers website vg+ for £200 and most recently on FB a Demo in either Ex or VG++ for £275)

The one I won on Ebay  was VG+

The record is Tiny Topsy - Just A Little Bit on Federal.

I think I'm just doomed with this one :yes: 

Social source share

So the seller gets $361 for it, but that's not enough for them. They put it up for auction again and this time get less - only $350!

It would be a pretty dumb seller who couldn't see the writing on the wall here: only one buyer is interested in acquiring it in this price range - you.

If they put it up for sale again, bid on it again. Be cool in your communications with the seller - point out the obvious: that the record has your name on it. And, faced with what you're prepared to pay and no other buyers, common sense should prevail.

If there is a next time on this, don't go sending three messages all in a flurry. You know they're getting your messages, so be cool; be poker-handed about it. They can have your money or nothing. That means you have the upper hand because you know they're in it for the money. 

Good luck with it, and remember Ezzie's words - good things come to those who wait...

Edited by Russell Gilbert
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

So the seller gets $361 for it, but that's not enough for them. They put it up for auction again and this time get less - only $350!

It would be a pretty dumb seller who couldn't see the writing on the wall here: only one buyer is interested in acquiring it in this price range - you.

If they put it up for sale again, bid on it again. Be cool in your communications with the seller - point out the obvious: that the record has your name on it. And, faced with what you're prepared to pay and no other buyers, common sense should prevail.

If there is a next time on this, don't go sending three messages all in a flurry. You know they're getting your messages, so be cool; be poker-handed about it. They can have your money or nothing. That means you have the upper hand because you know they're in it for the money. 

Good luck with it, and remember Ezzie's words - good things come to those who wait...

That's absolutely spot on!

The seller has only a few sales feedback and has mainly sold household bric-a-brac. She mentioned that she'd "done her homework" on it and probably came across Popsike, where she would have discovered that it sold for $722 in 2007! That's probably what she thinks she'll achieve if she skanks me a few times more.

I will try my hardest to be cool and poker faced if it does come up again. I'm shite at stuff like that though :D 

Edited by MissHongkongfuey
Social source share

That's absolutely spot on!

The seller has only a few sales feedback and has mainly sold household bric-a-brac. She mentioned that she'd "done her homework" on it and probably came across Popsike, where she would have discovered that it sold for $722 in 2007! That's probably what she thinks she'll achieve if she skanks me a few times more.

I will try my hardest to be cool and poker faced if it does come up again. I'm shite at stuff like that though :D 

It doesn't matter if you don't have a poker face - they can't see you at all! ;-)

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Oh the shame!!!

The seller has just contacted me back to let me know she gave birth on Monday morning and is not released from hospital until tomorrow. She even offered to send her Mum to the house and to give her instruction on how to send me the record safely.

I could have died on the spot! I've insisted that I'll wait as long as she needs and to get home and settled for a long time to come. She's insisted that the record is mine as agreed and that I need not worry.

Happiness returns to Birmingham tonight!

Poor Him Indoors..... he's had 48hrs of suffering!  :( 

Social source share

Oh the shame!!!

The seller has just contacted me back to let me know she gave birth on Monday morning and is not released from hospital until tomorrow. She even offered to send her Mum to the house and to give her instruction on how to send me the record safely.

I could have died on the spot! I've insisted that I'll wait as long as she needs and to get home and settled for a long time to come. She's insisted that the record is mine as agreed and that I need not worry.

That's a great result!  I wouldn't open another bottle though, until the record drops through your letterbox!

Social source share

Oh the shame!!!

How inconsiderate.........didn't she know there was a vinyl junkie waiting for her record :lol:

Glad it all ended well.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

How inconsiderate.........didn't she know there was a vinyl junkie waiting for her record :lol:

Glad it all ended well.

Cheers

Martyn

I should have requested that her Mum puts $0.00 value on the customs declaration...... or I come and take the new Baby :wicked: :wicked:  

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Good job you didn't send the bailifs in :huh:

At one point yesterday, I was very tempted to ask Ebay for a contact number so I could demand she stopped messing about and send the invoice!!

But when it came to the "Bill payers permission" I was told to f**k right off and I wasn't allowed to ring North Carolina.

Good job really and I suppose that  would be considered harassment innit :D 

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

I should ask for a copy of the birth certificate as proof lol

Maybe I should send her the link to the story about the Shredded Wheat Ted.  Not only would she offer me the record , she might throw in the baby for free!!

I could send her one of those Northern Soul Waistcoats as a thank you :D A fair swap!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!