Deep Pockets £12,023

No matter how great a record is I would have a tough time parting with that kind of money, even if I was a millionaire. Talking to a ex-collector/seller who said, and he was right, "it's a never ending thing, where do you stop ? you just can't own every rare/great record unless you are a millionaire" I have to say I would have thought that the amount of buyers who want to pay over £5.000 for a record must be a diminishing number as people get older other priorities rear their head and owning £50 -100.000+ of vinyl doesn't seem such a good idea.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

With this record reaching a record price, are we going to see copies surface out of people's collections for sale?

I reckon so...it also wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the next copies that come onto the market place will go for less.

So, what do we reckon...did it go to Scotland or Australia...quite a few copies over here already!

:g:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

No matter how great a record is I would have a tough time parting with that kind of money, even if I was a millionaire. Talking to a ex-collector/seller who said, and he was right, "it's a never ending thing, where do you stop ? you just can't own every rare/great record unless you are a millionaire" I have to say I would have thought that the amount of buyers who want to pay over £5.000 for a record must be a diminishing number as people get older other priorities rear their head and owning £50 -100.000+ of vinyl doesn't seem such a good idea.

We've been saying this for many years though Chris, yet there it is. Double what I thought it would go for. 

Anyone who can afford to pay these prices has to be seriously wealthy, or they are Dj'ing and must have the big hitters to the extent that they will do anything to have them. 

We call it "The Fever"  :lol: I've had it myself and was buying records I couldn't really afford on credit cards and over draughts. I am a vinyl-holic.  :yes:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

But surely if you purchased the said record many years ago & paid a few quid back then, this is the ideal time to offload?

No one knows how many copies there are of it, but by all accounts it ain't super rare.

Fantastic record never the less,

Well we have a rough idea how many copies there are because I printed John Anderson's message where he revealed how many copies he'd found...

Social source share

Honestly don't think this is as rare as some people are imagining. Any collector wanting this in the late 70s, 80s could get one for around £100 given a few months of waiting, Yvonne Vernee and Larry Clinton were easier to sell and seemed harder to find back then.
The price seems bonkers but I guess its worth what anyone is prepared to pay. Don't forget somebody actually underbid this too, the price of the next one to sell at auction depends on whether there is another underbidder with money to burn.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

But surely if you purchased the said record many years ago & paid a few quid back then, this is the ideal time to offload?

No one knows how many copies there are of it, but by all accounts it ain't super rare.

Fantastic record never the less,

I have thought that about my records for a couple of years now (time to offload) but I've tried twice and realised I actually like having my records. I've sold the one's that I only bought to have a copy and keep the ones that I absolutely love, I buy more of the one's that I absolutely love as well. My thing is mid tempo Detroit and it seems out of fashion at the moment which is great.

You can buy records as an investment but they are a massive risk, prices go up and down with demand not time. The worst reasons for buying records have got to be investment and knob waving.

Personally I think it obscene for someone to spend 12k on a record no matter how much money they have.

Edited by paultp
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

There's a lot of people on the scene turning 55 now who have access to 25% of their pension as a tax free lump sum

It's a fair bet that a few are spending it on their all time wants

And after April 6th 2015, they will also be able to get their hands on the remaining 75% as a one-off or partial lump sum as well (subject to income tax and without having to retire!!).

So, could 2015 see even HIGHER prices :ohmy:

Edited by bo diddley
Social source share

great pete, as you know i sell motors,what you looking for?

I just bought one actually in November...Vauxhall Astra...except I haven't got used to it, the redesign means the back window is really small and I feel like I can't see around me properly...sorry, way off topic!

Social source share

I reckon so...it also wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the next copies that come onto the market place will go for less.

So, what do we reckon...did it go to Scotland or Australia...quite a few copies over here already!

:g:

It didn't come to my part of Scotland mate

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Pete

Slightly off topic?How much does the boot go for these days?Will the price hike in the original make the boot price go up???

Cheers

Martyn

Not sure mate, I'd sell it for £30 but thats because it was booted again a couple of years ago making it easily obtainable for anyone who hadn't got the 1977 boot.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The thing is, absolutely brilliant record as it is, I'm Gone is an oldie, and a played out one at that, it had a couple of months spins in 1977, was bootlegged, and that was that, it's not like people are buying a fantastic new discovery and to a lot of people, it's as old hat as Lou Pride or The Tempos or whatever - yeah big deal, you've spent £12K on a record, more fool you, you mug...

actually thinking about this - I stand by what I said if the person has bought it to DJ with - but if bought for pleasure, then I guess who cares how much they spend on a record if it makes them happy

If the bloke bought it to DJ with, first very risky being on styrene we all know how fragile they can be and secondly and more important is that economically it doesn't make sense, you'd have to play it as a DJ every night  for about 3.5 years !!

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

If the bloke bought it to DJ with, first very risky being on styrene we all know how fragile they can be and secondly and more important is that economically it doesn't make sense, you'd have to play it as a DJ every night  for about 3.5 years !!

Firstly, the originals are vinyl. Secondly some of them do don't they?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

sorry the original is on vinyl,booted on styrene, i think the guy whos bought it can,t possibly want to dj with it,that would be madness.the copy has never been played for over 40 years and now want to risk battering it on the dj scene.....crazy ?no this guy has bought it to keep,you don,t throw away 12k everyday to watch it depreciate everytime you play it ?

Edited by stanley
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

sorry the original is on vinyl,booted on styrene, i think the guy whos bought it can,t possibly want to dj with it,that would be madness.the copy has never been played for over 40 years and now want to risk battering it on the dj scene.....crazy ?no this guy has bought it to keep,you don,t throw away 12k everyday to watch it depreciate everytime you play it.

It's never worried any of the big Dj's before George. Kenny Burrell with Frank Wilson for example.

Social source share

But surely there must be more than the ones John Anderson had?

There are Pete the ones from Jack Ashfords the one I sold to Paul couple years ago that copy didn't come from the ones John had I know the history of it are just a couple if examples ..

£12000 is mega money to normal people but to some it's like me or you Pete paying £50 for a record

Social source share

There are Pete the ones from Jack Ashfords the one I sold to Paul couple years ago that copy didn't come from the ones John had I know the history of it are just a couple if examples ..

£12000 is mega money to normal people but to some it's like me or you Pete paying £50 for a record

wouldn,t mind knowing the history of this copy,it can,t have come from jack ashford,he didn,t have it,when we last visited him over 10 years ago

Edited by stanley
Social source share

It's never worried any of the big Dj's before George. Kenny Burrell with Frank Wilson for example.

You can't compare with the Frank Wilson, besides there were more things involved in that sale. You can however compare with Don Gardner, Larry Clinton, Del-larks, et al, not many people who own them got to be well known on the scene like Kenny did.

Social source share

Ian you're talking to someone else not me mate  :lol:  I am not LambrettaGP200

• Helpful 1
Social source share

And a huge collective OH! NO! rises from your fellow Soul-Sourcers, who were all willing you on :(

yes agreed there were loads of us willing Andy on, and wished he would have won, but in some respects I'm glad it wasn't Andy that paid 12k

Andy has and will continue to have great records to both play and collect - all without spending 12k on ONE

Social source share

wouldn,t mind knowing the history of this copy,it can,t have come from jack ashford,he didn,t have it,when we last visited him over 10 years ago

Manship was selling some minty stuff before xmas perhaps maybe ep came from the same source, didn't he go to the states and have a share out with teftteller and some other dealer of some deceased guys massive collection perhaps it came from that

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!