John Manship Auction Results 14 - 1 - 2014

JOE TORQUAY

9614_1.jpg

9614_1sm.jpg9614_2sm.jpg

Eddie Parker I'm Gone C/w Crying Clown

Another MINT heartstopper from the Elephant’s graveyard of unplayed Northern Soul Monsters, comes this NS masterpiece - in the same exact condition as the day it was made, never fully leaving it’s birth-sleeve! Record collecting does not come anymore challenging than this.

A dangerously exciting artifact of incalculable importance, that most-all consider as the greatest Northern Soul record ever made, but a few would argue the flipside is even better!

In 2015 to even dream of acquiring this dancefloor Leviathan of Northern Soul is somewhat a forlorn hope - but a MINT unplayed copy condition, it would be considered just naive totally hopeless wishful-thinking.

Act accordingly not only to own the Greatest Northern Soul 45s ever - but also the one in the finest condition on Planet Earth.

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 12,023.00

9623_1sm.jpg9623_1sm.jpg9623_3sm.jpg
Cookie Woodson I'll Be True

The insanely difficult to acquire female version of the Virgil Henry masterpiece, that is only available on this the stock copy - that seems to have been used as a promo for a last gasp attempt for glean some Radio Station interest in the other side the much recorded Jerry Goffin & Carole King “I Can’t Hear You” which for 70s recording sounds far too dated…so understandably failed miserably.

So let’s get back to the masterpiece that lay on the “passed over” flipside. Which had to have come from a special place, that special place was the office of three highly talented writers, Richie Adams, Mark Barkan & Jerry Ross originally given to “Colossus” in house Soulman Virgil Henry who served up a staggeringly soulful groove to lift this label off the ground.

Some 46 releases later the composition was handed over to Miss Cookie to create a flipside, and a Northern Soul Trophy was born..as commercially it sold “nothing” underlined by the fact this actual copy is the ONLY copy we have ever had for sale.

So click away to hear what Soulful Dance Northern Soul sounds like, as an “impossible” acquisition.

Sooooooo stunningly good…

The winning bid was £ 464.00

9629_1sm.jpg9629_1sm.jpg9629_2sm.jpg
Martha Reeves & The Vandellas Show Me The Way C/w Honey Chile

It has to be said that many of Tamla Motown’s greatest offerings to the British Northern Soul scene have started their lives as B- sides. This example is one of the finer TMG dance tunes the NS foragers uncovered on the flip of a very minor hit for Martha and the girls.

“Show Me The way” is pure Northern Soul with very little commercial frills to attract the general public, thus relegated as a flip. But what it does simmer with is, the recently incorporated influences of the down-the-road rival Ric-Tic Records.

Richard “Please Let Me In” “Real Humdinger” Morris, J. J. Barnes & the prolific Sylvia Moy join forces to craft this catchy tune. An attention grabbing dancefloor winner with it’s relentless rattling guitar and drum rhythm. Martha’s vocal was at it’s peak, The Vandellas as “sweet” as ever throughout this magnificent Motown dancer - retrieved from the wilderness of “flipside” obscurity.

This 1967 Green & White DEMO is by far and away it’s most desirable form, especially in this utterly flawless condition! 

The winning bid was £ 208.00

9631_1sm.jpg9631_1sm.jpg9631_2sm.jpg
Linda Jones I Just Can't Life My Life C/w My Heart (will Understand)

Apparently truly great records, you can recall exactly what you were doing, who with and where you first heard it. Well, that’s what hardened Barry White fans declare….

Although I was fully clothed at the time, Pre-Wigan, on one of the Melton Piemen’s Saturday outings to The Blackppol Mecca we heard why at the time “The Mecca” was considered the Northern Soul destination of choice, where Colin Curtis & Ian Levine broke new ground with some exceptional “finds”.

How diverse was the scene at that time 1972, when I just stopped negotiating my purchase of Hugo Montenegro - instrumental version of The Four Seasons “Sherry”( heard only minutes before) but the King of The British NS vinyl Steve Glover was far too expensive at £3.

This awesome tune hit the air - an ear-catching Harp stroking intro - ooh “The Present - Many’s The Slip” I do like the distinct sound of the Harp - but then a voice from heaven boomed through the enthralling start… Wow! Who was this with a voice that one second was purring like a kitten, the next destroying ear drums and ripping to shreds the listeners hearts.

LINDA JONES soon to be heralded as the greatest female Soul vocalist of the last century, sadly died young, leaving the Soul fans everywhere wondering what she would have achieved.

Before you today is her most-wanted Northern Soul offering - in condition you rarely see, I’ve lost count of the understandable turntable weary copies we have had through our hands over the last 45 years - but MINT minus in it’s company sleeve in 2015, now that’s a prize!

Let’s face it - this is a 45 many would play at least once a day - in fact both sides will be considered the finest of their genre for maybe centuries to come - because when will we encountered a vocal of this calibre again - condition conscious collectors - when will you see a copy not suffering from that loving fatigue of the stylus..?

The unassailable legacy of Linda Jones - the world’s great female Soul singer with her incomparable Northern Soul offering… a must own!

The winning bid was £ 362.00

9626_1sm.jpg9626_1sm.jpg9626_2sm.jpg
Eddie Holman I Surrender

A listing for those of you who appreciate not only irreproachable condition but also the beauty of the USA WHITE PROMO copy inside it’s birth-sleeve. From the same source as many recent flawless auction listings - this the very affordable end of Northern Soul collecting, but we could not bring ourselves to just “Set-Sale”.

That will please most - as at the moment this classic-NS-tune is enjoying a huge turntable renaissance, filling floors countrywide.

So those of you with children to feed, wives to shod, dogs to shampoo.. here’s a killer piece of much-loved Philadelphia Northern Soul in it’s rarely seen format and in condition that can only rise in value..

Flawless and gorgeous…it is too.

The winning bid was £ 261.00

9627_1sm.jpg9627_1sm.jpg9627_2sm.jpg
Baby Washington I Can't Wait Until I See My Baby

Carefully scrutinizing this UK vision Soul-Art - I believe it’s the finest copy I’ve personally experienced in memory; I’m thinking we could even be the first to play it.. only 50 years of filing and the occasional minuscule sleeve contact hairline blemish in strong light, only just rules out the rarely seen MINT grade.

Still snugly hugging the original SUE sleeve and both labels baring no sign of spindle contact - this truly is SUE perfection.

So listen to this Big Apple Angel sing Chip Taylor & Norman Meade much recorded Soul Standard. Such an infectious tune, some of Soul greats have took it to their heart - Aretha Franklin to name but one..

So not only a peerless piece of British Soul collecting but also a song ingrained in every Soul Boy / Soul Girl’s lives.

Unbeatable condition - 

The winning bid was £ 164.00

9622_1sm.jpg9622_1sm.jpg9622_2sm.jpg
Tams It's All Right (you're Just In Love) C/w You Lied To Your Daddy

Few, if anyone asked what Northern Soul 45s by the “The Tams” do you like would ever come up with this title. After 50 years as an overlooked flipside, we feel this listing may trigger a DJ alert, that would inspire a spin or two for those DJ’s in love with the British Red & White DEMO.

Turntable wars between Sean Chapman and Nige Brown jump to mind, not only because this Red & White Demo would look glorious, spinning around, viewed on one of those big screen turntable cams. But don’t we all love something fresh whilst those “Twisted Wheel” times are revisited.. We are certainly not suggesting it was played at “The Wheel” even those pioneers may have not appreciated just how good it is..and stuck with the a-side.

What we are suggesting is, this 45 is far too infectious and far to gorgeous to be passed over for another 50 years…

Click the soundfile and just like me - you will be not only visually hogtied but musically too… as that simple simple piano intro opens up for Charles Pope’s gravel-coated vocal, will have you unable to slip its grip, as the piano returns every time at dead the right time!

btw; this 1964 Red n’ White DEMO is flawless!

The winning bid was £ 105.00

9632_1sm.jpg9632_1sm.jpg9632_2sm.jpg
Eula Cooper Standing By Love C/w I Need You More

Not many publicly admit private fetishes - but if you stand around any Northern Soul record room, you will clearly hear the grunt, groans and squeals of those vinyl-flickers who suffer from the “Yellow Label” predilection.

An understandable penchant in this case, as this is the rare FIRST PRESS of the much commoner and utterly mundane “white” label 2nd. press.

Musically moving, vocally imploring, as the young-girl vocal of this Atlanta Soul Princess has never sounded more stricken and beseeching. Under the guidance of Bill Patterson Eula conveys her exquisite sweet-pain so convincingly.

BOTH SIDES benefit from the Muscle Shoals Sound, plus Atlantic Records coached Wade Marcus directing the lush strings..why this record is not permanently on the lips of the Rare Soul connoisseurs is a mystery, as both sides give up pure-undiluted Sister-Soul of the highest standard.

May we mention, in this original form and in flawless condition this is one very elusive first press - offering up two killer tunes!

The winning bid was £ 187.00

9628_1sm.jpg9628_1sm.jpg9628_2sm.jpg
Fabulous Play Mates Don't Turn Your Back ( On Loving )

Long standing top-want for all who are enamored by rare street-level 70s & 80s Soulful dance. An era when some of the Soul Music’s greatest songs were crafted by D.I.Y. writers / producers on tiny budgets, choosing neighborhood artists to perform their craft.

None more so than the Bay Area genius Harold Andrews his output through the 60s/70s & 80s was consistently impressive. The Inticers, Othello Robertson, himself as H. Andrews, and this “The Fabulous Play Mates” his memorable contribution to the Rare Soul collectors scene.

This rarity maybe a 1985 project but listen how it avoids the crass disco influences of the period. As highly-pitched backing vocals light the way for a cultured male lead vocal to deliver silky soulful lyrics; but those backing girls & boys elevate this session even higher, as no doubt the skilled Mr. Andrews demands his team to push-the-boundaries, delivering shrill inventive choruses…

Altogether dazzling soulful dance capped off with a subtle trumpet solo instrumental break..

The winning bid was £ 617.00

9621_1sm.jpg9621_1sm.jpg9621_2sm.jpg
Bobby Day And The Nature Boys I Don't Need No Information

Check this out - most may never have heard this hidden gem before.. you’re in for a treat.

After Bobby Day’s initial chart & writing success of the late 50s & early 60’s chart more chart success eluded him. A brief spell as the original “Bob” in the “Bob & Earl” duo proved fruitless, even with his gift for lyrics, this artist struggled to gain anymore more of the recognition; that “Rockin Robin” & “Little Bitty Pretty One” brought him.

So enter this inconceivably RARE Los Angeles 45; for some “Northern Soul Respect”; from the autumn of 1965 this record too, passed everyone by unnoticed, as it lay obscured on the flipside of a rather ordinary disjointed recording with “corny” lyrics.

But beware, this mostly unknown flipside will claw its way under your skin, by way of a relentless “Don’t It Make You Feel Funky” guitar persistently twanging away in the background as a mistrusting Bobby Byrd vocal compliments the grinding arrangement with a swiping rebellious response.

RARE!! ANGRY and shimmering with potential Monster qualities. Adventurous DJ’s do not pass by..

The winning bid was £ 412.00

9624_1sm.jpg9624_1sm.jpg9624_2sm.jpg
Chalfontes He Loves Me C/w Confessin' My Love To You

One of those Northern Soul timeless classics that used to suffer from oldies DJ’s neglect. But that trend has begun to to turn, as the search for the brilliant underplayed classics that rammed the club floors in the early 70s is on. In recent times records like Johnny Howard’s - The Chase Is On - is the perfect example of how overlooked and even reissued classics can rise to hit the same heights of popularity they once enjoyed.

What an appropriate example this Detroit double hitter is, as Sonny Sanders and Dynamic Hitbound Productions craft perfect Sister-Northern Soul from the first very first note.

The relentless beat, delivers the perfect 4 beats to the bar for the NS dancer to immerse themselves in. Add a discreet Mike Terry baritone sax, shrill teammates echoing the chorus, a Motor City instrumental break incorporating a Motown-inspired wailing-sax and then Mike Terry comes forward again to enrich & prompt the arrangement.

THIS IS NORTHERN SOUL!! Darn good Northern Soul too, that is so pleasing to see on the comeback trail..

But this rarity (as a gleaming Red Stock Copy) is not one-trick Michigan-Pony - flip it over and wham the same team hit you up with everything the topside did, but at a slightly slower pace…

Two great sides…. to ease the tedium of “same old - same old”

The winning bid was £ 357.00

9634_1sm.jpg9634_1sm.jpg9634_2sm.jpg
Jerry Williams If You Ask Me (because I Love You)

There are classics and there are classics! This homage to Jerry’s wife “Yvonne” stirred more young-hearts into action during the early 70s than any other - in my humble opinion this Northern Soul 45 nailed more people to a life of nocturnal drug-fueled gymnastic weekends, than any other you care to mention.

So vastly different to any other Northern Soul 45, so much loved, that even today it induces full bouts of “singing” from a pack dance floor as every single indelible word is carved in our memory. Even after near 45 years since it’s first discovery (strangely as the Spanish “Exit” label release.)

Before you today is a fine flawless original 1966 mix PROMO. Looking so very inviting…

but first let us click the soundfile & SING!

The winning bid was £ 211.00

9620_1sm.jpg9620_1sm.jpg9620_2sm.jpg
Gwen Davis My Man Don't Think I Know

One of Nashville’s most prolific Soul-Lyricists Allen Orange again crafts a thumpin’ slab of 60s Dance Soul. Whilst John Richberg’s staff blend street Blues & aching Soul perfectly into a bulldozing R&B flavoured Northern Soul groove; One that has been sought-after and highly effective-dancefloor destroyer for 3 decades or more

Like most all the John Richberg productions, the former housebreaking DJ relies upon blaring horns (usually directed by Bergen White) to enrich the session. This examples just booms with brass as they try to match up to Gwen’s “Big Mama” vocal.

The lady digs deep with a defiantly bold delivery, as her man is “caught in a lie”. Squealing girls come to her aid, and those horns grows louder. Potent stuff indeed and Richberg’s team picked dead-the-right lady to lay it down!

Fabulous and highly elusive Northern Soul that fits right into what’s filling the floors today - lady’s with balls!

The winning bid was £ 232.00

9633_1sm.jpg9633_1sm.jpg9633_2sm.jpg
Berganees 'cause I Love You C/w Time Is Gonna Change

Sweet Soul aficionados you are about to be treated to a double helping of D.I.Y. neighborhood harmony of the obscurest possible beginnings.

Arthur Leggin was the driving force behind this double-serving of natural from-the-heart sessions, with the accent being on crafting on-your-knees pleading Soul presumably aimed at their own enjoyment or local fans, as neither sides offers up a single note of commercial intentions. Exactly as the true rare-soul collector likes it.

Sweet Soul does not get any rarer, obscurer or more deliberate than this..

The winning bid was £ 70.00

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Okay who payed over £350 for the Chalfontes £50 rated He Loves Me?

Can't see anyone owning up.  I got a copy from Roger Banks a couple of months ago for £100 and the condition was blinding -  looked and played M- and M respectively...well worth what I paid in my opinion.

£350+ is a great result for Mr Manship and the seller, perhaps not quite such a good buy for the winner methinks?

Chris

Social source share

I like the Fabulous Play Mates "Don't Turn Your Back" record.

1985 record and nobody picked up on at the time? I would have thought some record dealer would have latched on to that and imported it! Was it known back then?

Don't think I could pay that kind of money for an 80's record though!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

1985 record and nobody picked up on at the time? I would have thought some record dealer would have latched on to that and imported it! Was it known back then?

Soul Bowl had them at the time. Quantity. New release. Lovely. 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

While everyone was bidding on Eddie Parker someone grabbed an absolute bargain on the Eddie Holman   :wicked:

Paul Mackay had a copy for sale for a Ton M- too  :dash2:

Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

Some idiots out there pay silly money every week.

Nothing new Pete.

Edited by Aaron Darcy
Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

The bloomin' UK Action is rarer than the US demo but still goes for £100

Yes your right Pete , but the idiot buyer don't know  that.

Edited by Aaron Darcy
Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

Eddie Parker went for twice what I thought it was worth ! Thank God I don't collect 7's anymore ! :-/

I agree with you its never 12 grand record i thought  around 5 grand someone wanted it badly 

Edited by Aaron Darcy
Social source share

There must be 'piles' of copies around.

Dx

Bought mine about 10/11 years ago for 25/30quid, I think from a Mr P Smith ?  :thumbsup:

£359  :facepalm:  

Actually I remember playing this & a quite well known DJ came over & asked me what it was so i told her the "chalfonteys" as described on the label. Oh never heard of them can i have a look ? Yeah sure .........  & with a slight sn***** she told me "Oh you mean the Chalfonts"  Understandable if you've never read the label really but made me smile at the time :lol:  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think Soul Bowl took the entire quantity when released and sold them for a few quid. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

"Grand" record though Aaron :)

Good morning!

Sure is sir , but not 12 grand record though.

I would spend 4 grand on Jimmy Burns--Erica or 2 grand the New Wanderers --Let me render--Ready both are rarer than Eddie Parker

Social source share

I would spend 4 grand on Jimmy Burns--Erica or 2 grand the New Wanderers --Let me render--Ready both are rarer than Eddie Parker

Maybe double that for New Wanderers, if this went onto JM's auction it would probably outdo EP,

cos as you say... rarer :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I wouldn't have thought that Jimmy Burns was that rare. I have had quite a few opportunities to buy it over the years, but never seen a New Wanderers.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I wouldn't have thought that Jimmy Burns was that rare. I have had quite a few opportunities to buy it over the years, but never seen a New Wanderers.

didnt JM once auctioned the orig Studio Acetate of the new wanderers ? Think it made significantly under 2K..also somehow seem to remember that the other great side "Aint Gonna Do You No Harm" was missing which may explain the "low" price ? 

Social source share

didnt JM once auctioned the orig Studio Acetate of the new wanderers ? Think it made significantly under 2K..also somehow seem to remember that the other great side "Aint Gonna Do You No Harm" was missing which may explain the "low" price ? 

That was the copy I owned then I sold years ago. Render my service - was just piano, drums and vocals - think it went for circa £1.5k.

Cheers

Phil

Edited by grumpyfella
Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

Maybe double that for New Wanderers, if this went onto JM's auction it would probably outdo EP,

cos as you say...

Great double sides musically better record  New Wanderers.

I would never bid on JM'S auction most of wining bids are unreal and yes your right New Wanderers would probably outdo EP now a days.

Sold the New Wanderers  about seven years ago  to a Japanese guy £2600 i thought i did really well.

Edited by Aaron Darcy
Social source share

Guest UPTITE U250A

ha ! another £1 record "gone massive"... :shades:

someone who has listened too literally to Jimmey Raye....

110430847704.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!