Price For Jerri Jones 'monkey On Your Back'

Foxman

Hey folks,

Hoping someone can give me the current going price for Jerri Jones' "Monkey On Your Back" 45 on PAL.

Seen a couple go for around $100US not counting one that went just a couple of weeks ago for stupid money due to folks trying to outbid one another on ebay.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Adam

Social source share

Forget $100 as being a going rate. That's history. In demand record, many folk like you chasing it, copies seldom coming up = a lot more than $100 and rising, hence the feeding frenzy on that Ebay copy you mentioned.

Best find one for sale first and then decide whether you want to pay the seller's asking price, because if you don't, I bet someone else will.

Social source share

Yeah, I figured it'd be more than $100 now as those results dated from 2009/2010. Id' be looking out for a set sale naturally rather than auction. Problem being, too many folks insist on being the leading bidder for the entire duration rather than swooping at the last second when it counts. You figure no one else is watching so your highest bid wouldn't be nearly as much as what this finished up with. Hence this going for over half a grand last December.

I figured it would be a couple hundred nowadays but not half a k.

Social source share

Not now my friend. Quantities might well have been about in the not-too-distant past, but that's the way with records, innit?

Agree with Mace mind about "I'm A Slave" - both top drawer IMO, but Slave is the better record to my ears and happens to be far rarer. 

Social source share

Personally, I think Monkey is far better than Slave, got a more consistent dance beat to it and comes across as a more exciting record. But Slave is definitely the rarer of the two.

Funny thing, listening to both side by side on You Tube, Slave sounds like a female artist whilst Monkey is definitely male. Is that because Slave has been speeded up on You Tube?

Edited by denbo
Social source share

Jason, pretty sure it was on one of my Jesterwild mixes.....had a few copies of Monkey that I think went to Karl Heard and Killa....liked it first but got bored of it pretty quick. There's another on the label by JJ that's pretty shite, and also a decent instrumental on PAL by Delvations or Deviations that I have somewhere.

Dennis, if you ever manage to bag a copy iof Slave I'm sure you'll realise it a much better track!!

I did get a spare of 'Slave' off a Japanese website a few years ago...no English translation on site so had to phone up and speak the obligatory pidgeon English to purchase it....barrel of laughs that was!

Come to think about it, think you may have sold a copy of Monkey to Killa Dennis?

Edited by Mace
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Jason, pretty sure it was on one of my Jesterwild mixes.....had a few copies of Monkey that I think went to Karl Heard and Killa....liked it first but got bored of it pretty quick. There's another on the label by JJ that's pretty shite, and also a decent instrumental on PAL by Delvations or Deviations that I have somewhere.

Dennis, if you ever manage to bag a copy iof Slave I'm sure you'll realise it a much better track!!

I did get a spare of 'Slave' off a Japanese website a few years ago...no English translation on site so had to phone up and speak the obligatory pidgeon English to purchase it....barrel of laughs that was!

Come to think about it, think you may have sold a copy of Monkey to Killa Dennis?

Yes, I think I did sell my spare copy of Monkey to Killa, now you mention it.

As for Slave, I don't need to bag a copy to realise which I prefer, I've already done that via You Tube and hearing you play it out. Remember, it's just my opinion. Je Suis Charlie!  :thumbsup:

What are your views regarding Slave sounding like a female on the You Tube version?

Social source share

Slave kicks monkey all over, monkey's kind of tuneless. Crazy price for monkey recently on ebay, I dont get it. I understand great records going up in price as they get more exposure, but why do average records suddenly go up?

Definitely a crazy price on Slave but it does appear to be quite rare. As for Monkey, still my favourite out of the two.  :wicked:  :thumbsup:  :D

Social source share

'Slave' on Youtube is Sean Courtneys copy, not pitched up as far as I can tell.

Anyone notice the resemblance between Slave and Sammi Lee 'Lets talk it over' or is it just me?

So how come Monkey sounds like a bloke and Slave sounds like a woman?

Have you listened to them side by side?

Social source share

'Slave' on Youtube is Sean Courtneys copy, not pitched up as far as I can tell.

Anyone notice the resemblance between Slave and Sammi Lee 'Lets talk it over' or is it just me?

Totally different tempo but now you mention it, the tune is very similar. That's 'tune', as in 'it has one'.

I was probably a bit hard on 'monkey', its good music, well played and sung, but like a lot of these new funky spins, is lacking key elements like tune, chorus and hook. Call me conventional, but for my $500 I'd want at least one of the above. The horn bit is the only thing that stands out imo.

however, if you search 'sold' funk 45 in price order, you find things for $1000s that aren't even sung in tune. I guess I'm just not down with the tone-deaf funk kids :-)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Surprised (not really) no-one here has done their homework - Jerri worked as a female/male impersonator on the FL club circuit so all these comments on sounding like a man on one 45 and a woman on the other make perfect sense, have some print ads of her from back then that should post up.  The other JJ on Pal is You L.I.E.D. which gets spins from both of us at Dig Deeper, just a nice little uptempo thing but none the worse for that.

ps have a spare clean copy of Monkey on your back, will list it on FB next time spot it floating around.  It won't be $100 so don't get too excited.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Surprised (not really) no-one here has done their homework - Jerri worked as a female/male impersonator on the FL club circuit so all these comments on sounding like a man on one 45 and a woman on the other make perfect sense, have some print ads of her from back then that should post up.

Thanks for posting Michael. I knew I was right, but not for that reason. :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!