Ebay Scam Alert - Detroit Sounds Of Friction, Empires (Candi), Etc

George G

Regarding this topic...

I believe the crook is back in business.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/one4themoney2fortheshow7827/m.html?item=161556062250&hash=item259d7de02a&pt=Music_on_Vinyl&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

The scans for the Empires and Detroit Sounds of Friction are recycled from previous auctions. Also, the seller is listed as being from the same area. The scans are clearly been resampled/resized using some cheap SW.

Penetrations on Highland is also a reused scan.

Just thought I would pass it along.....

Edited by George G
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

Many thanks George for the heads up.

Looks like he is back ' very cleaver under different name every time he comes back to scam.

Total fooking scumbag 

Social source share

His description of it is a bit dodgy..Mines ex green stock copy and their are more copies (mine include) than the half a dozen he mentioned.

John Anderson said he found about 50 copies in a old record store in Louisville that was closing down, so at least that many. But very few have turn up since and that was 25 years ago

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Thought you folks might want a little heads up on what appears to be a fraudulent seller on Ebay with a couple of heavy hitters that look pretty fishy. This guy has already been outed by some Rockabilly collectors on one of their pages and after some investigating I thought maybe I should share my findings.

His Ebay user name is one4themoney2fortheshow7827. His real name appears to be James Coley from McDermott, Ohio in the US. Apparently he sells low dollar items and lots to get a few feedbacks under his belt, then uses Popsike images for rare records he doesn't actually own and rips people off from there.

He presently has a Lenny Curtis on End and an Empires on Candi up for bids. I did some searching on Popsike and found what I believe are the original label scans he used for his listings after he photoshopped them to look different. I have posted the comparisons below...the original is on the left, the one from his listing is on the right.

Just wanted to help get the word out. The Rockabilly community is already hip to him and he's had two bids withdrawn on a rare Rockabilly piece he has up, one for $266 and one for $1000!

Cheers!

post-31674-0-25501200-1421349823_thumb.j

post-31674-0-20035300-1421349831_thumb.j

Social source share

I did a label comparison on his Lenny Curtis and his Empires and found the originals on Popsike. He doctored them a little bit with Photoshop but you can totally tell.

The original is on the left, his is on the right in each picture.

Social source share

I did a label comparison on his Lenny Curtis and his Empires and found the originals on Popsike. He doctored them a little bit with Photoshop but you can totally tell.

post-31674-0-99706000-1421350608_thumb.j

post-31674-0-22640000-1421350616_thumb.j

Social source share

I'm not seeing it with Lenny Curtis. Look like two different records? See what you mean about the Empires, though...

Social source share

The Empires scan posted above is clearly been doctored for the fraud auction, as I said above I found matches for sources of the doctored Detroit Sounds of Friction and the Penetrations, so here they are

The original scan for Detroit Sounds of Friction

https://www.collectorsfrenzy.com/details/220674350055/DETROIT_SOUNDS_OF_FRICTION_Heavy_Sound_northern_soul_45

Original scan for the Penetrations

https://www.collectorsfrenzy.com/details/381047406354/Northern_Soul_45__Penetrations__Sweet_Sweet_Baby__Highland__mp3

Social source share

The tip off for me was that they were positioned exactly the same. What are the odds of two different people at two different times positioning the records for scanning exactly the same? If you follow the line on the orange portion on Lenny they line up exact. The seller has also done a color tweeze on the label with Photoshop to make it look different. The fuzziness of the black lettering gives it away. The Empires is as a very slight angle in both pics and the wear on the black lettering of the song title is identical.

Social source share

Good work George. I bid on these early doors, more to get a winning bid notification than a let's get a regular update on this and have a serious shot if they're on the low side. I should have been more alert as both Detroit Sounds and Empires have popped up very recently, yet they're dead rare. Hopefully you have saved someone a lot of bother but a few punters have been caught out even at this early stage, particularly if they're not on Soul Source.

Social source share

re. Lenny Curtis - look at the position of the 961 relative to the red band, or the cat. number at the bottom relative to the text nearest it, there appears to be a difference in spacing in the two scans, I would say it's a different record

Social source share

Empires is deffo same pic....not same Lenny Curtis....centre hole cuts through orange/red band into blue background on one but not other....some of label wear is also different and the comment about the 961 spacing is spot on

Social source share

Empires is deffo same pic....not same Lenny Curtis....centre hole cuts through orange/red band into blue background on one but not other....some of label wear is also different and the comment about the 961 spacing is spot on

Mace look at the edge wear of the label on the left side - Its  the same! well it is to me  if you line up certain parts

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

Mace look at the edge wear of the label on the left side - Its exactly the same!

Ernie, in respect to the Lenny Curtis I've since posted the exact scan he's used from Pat Bradys site....that other one was different in quite a few ways as folk have detailed.

Social source share

Probably more effective notifying PayPal that they gonna be refunding some serious coin to a few poor souls (no pun intended)

I have reported 4 items to Ebay.

If they are slow out of the blocks then they may be scammed, if they act quickly they may save themselves a few bob and avoid some disappointed customers.

Social source share

Flanny, if it's sent registered then when your package arrives film yourself receiving if from postman as you sign and tell the postie you need them to wait as you open it in front of them so they can witness if package is empty.....film it all and include a link to the thread as proof you've been scammed....

If you ain't home but someone else is tell them to not sign for it and go collect from sorting office personall.....explain same to them and film yourself opening in front of a PO witnes.

I should imagine all buyer will be ripped off so it should become apparent to ebay & PayPal that you have been scammed, but I'd cover your arse in this way all the same.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think the same person had some decent stuff for sale the week before. One of them was The Headlines "Looking for Love" on Laua. It ended at only $107. I woz gonna put a bid on and forgot. Thankfully.

Check on completed listings.

Yours forgetfully!!!

Social source share

I think the same person had some decent stuff for sale the week before. One of them was The Headlines "Looking for Love" on Laua. It ended at only $107. I woz gonna put a bid on and forgot. Thankfully.

Check on completed listings.

Yours forgetfully!!!

Hi Dunc....wasn't the same seller

Social source share

Flanny, if it's sent registered then when your package arrives film yourself receiving if from postman as you sign and tell the postie you need them to wait as you open it in front of them so they can witness if package is empty.....film it all and include a link to the thread as proof you've been scammed....

If you ain't home but someone else is tell them to not sign for it and go collect from sorting office personall.....explain same to them and film yourself opening in front of a PO witnes.

I should imagine all buyer will be ripped off so it should become apparent to ebay & PayPal that you have been scammed, but I'd cover your arse in this way all the same.

He's not provided a tracking number as yet and only charged 12 dollars postage

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!