Black Nasty "i Have No Choice"

Garethx

Picked up a copy of the Black Nasty lp "Talking To The People" (Enterprise 1973) the other day. I was amazed to see the album included a really good male vocal to "I Have No Choice". I can't recall anyone ever mentioning this. Has it ever been played anywhere?

Social source share

• Replies 28
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

garethx said:
Picked up a copy of the Black Nasty lp "Talking To The People" (Enterprise 1973) the other day. I was amazed to see the album included a really good male vocal to "I Have No Choice". I can't recall anyone ever mentioning this. Has it ever been played anywhere?

link

Durr, was trying to put a sound clip link to it. Couldn't get the hyperlink to work. Lovely version. Will need to cut & paste into browser.

I have no choice - Enterprise.rm

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I've had it through on tape/CD swaps can't say as i've heard it out but it wouldn't surprise me especially from the chin stroking pipe smokers amongst us :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Dependable Pete never ever lets you down on a comment like that :thumbsup:

BTW Kolla what's with the Trashcan forum on the home page is that where pete puts all the modern records? or did you drop a dooh daaah??

Oooooh i saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Social source share

BIG SPIN FOR ME AT PLINSTON IN THE GHETTO A WHILE BACK.JUST SOLD A SPARE COPY TO LENNY DOPSON SO WILL A REGULAR SPIN AT WELLINGBORO BY NOW.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

It was played a lot down on the south coast a few years back.  I'm pretty sure Black Nasty contained some of Johnnie Mae Matthews kids.

Derek

link

Quite right see album review below:

"Along with George Clinton's Parliament/Funkadelic, Black Nasty was among the first crop of self-contained funk bands to emerge from Detroit's vibrant R&B scene. A family affair led by drummer Artwell Matthews, Jr. that featured the lead vocals of his sister Audrey and her future husband Terrance Ellis, the group was shepherded by Artwell and Audrey's mother, veteran singer, songwriter, and producer Johnnie Mae Matthews, whose earlier finds included the Temptations and Mary Wells. Notable among these greasy slices of early Seventies Motor City funk are the John Lee Hooker-inspired "Black Nasty Boogie" and such message songs as "It's Not the World," "Booger the Hooker," and the title track. Black Nasty would evolve into the ADC Band, which scored a Top 10 R&B hit in 1978 with the tune "Long Stroke."

Audrey and Artwell. There's a nice version of IHNC knocking around by Audrey as well.

link

I made contact with Audrey Matthews earlier this year, regarding the unissued version of "I have no choice" that Adey played, credited to Audrey. It transpired that it wasn't her, as she was only about 10yrs old when the track was recorded, as she is only 48 now! It turns out it was probably by Sharon McMahon, who wrote the song, and may have recorded the track on tape as a promo for the song. We know, of course, that the song was picked up by Johnnie Mae. However, Saron McMahon's is THE version IMHO, absolutely sublime, it knocks spots of Johnnie Mae's effort. Black Nastys version is a very poor 3rd :thumbsup:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

BIG SPIN FOR ME AT PLINSTON IN THE GHETTO A WHILE BACK.JUST SOLD A SPARE COPY TO LENNY DOPSON SO WILL A REGULAR SPIN AT WELLINGBORO BY NOW.

link

Probably will be Taff, you know Lenny, he's a follower not a leader wink.gif Besides he's going to need a few good tunes to spin when he guests at the Plinston next year :) As for your badge, does that mean your a big pri**...I'll stop now :) (only kidding Len, you know I rate you)

Edited by TheBigO
Social source share

• 5 months later...
Guest remus

Spun at the Plinston over the past 2 years, great version even when ears are bleeding :-))) I have a spare copy I think buried upstairs if anyone wants one.

link

how much do you want for it?

Social source share

I made contact with Audrey Matthews earlier this year, regarding the unissued version of "I have no choice" that Adey played, credited to Audrey. It transpired that it wasn't her, as she was only about 10yrs old when the track was recorded, as she is only 48 now! It turns out it was probably by Sharon McMahon, who wrote the song, and may have recorded the track on tape as a promo for the song. We know, of course, that the song was picked up by Johnnie Mae. However, Saron McMahon's is THE version IMHO, absolutely sublime, it knocks spots of Johnnie Mae's effort. Black Nastys version is a very poor 3rd :wicked:

link

Social source share

I have a cut of the A. Matthews on Acetate and thought she had done it several

years ago when Andy Rix / Rob Thomas went round to her house so I am wrong in thinkin that its not Audrey but Sharon Mc ????

God next I,ll find out its Mrs Thomas mastered at Levines cut by Bexter

label drawn by Morph distributed by Adey given out free in the 100 Club bogs

one christmas do blush.gif:wicked::shades:

Social source share

I have a cut of the A. Matthews on Acetate and thought she had done it several

years ago when Andy Rix / Rob Thomas went round to her house so I am wrong in thinkin that its not Audrey but Sharon Mc ????

God next I,ll find out its Mrs Thomas mastered at Levines cut by Bexter

label drawn by Morph distributed by Adey given out free in the 100 Club bogs

one christmas do  :shades:   :wicked:   smile.gif

link

It came from an unmarked tape that Andy was leant by Johnnie Mae and/or her son. We really used Audrey as a guess name as we didn't know. If Audrey is too young, I think Sgharon may be a good bet as she wrote it so it could be her original version.

Ady

PS You left Chris King out of your dream scenario!

Social source share

PS You left Chris King out of your dream scenario!

link

=============================================

Oh ! By the way Chris King is doing ringtones of the mentioned track

he,s also re-mastered it and put it into a airhorn for Lambrettas !

:thumbsup:

Social source share

I disagree very strongly. JMM's released version is really good but the unissued "Audrey Matthews" version is quite horrible, whoever it is she can't sing and it lacks any kind of soul, a very poor version I think.

Social source share

I disagree very strongly. JMM's released version is really good but the unissued "Audrey Matthews" version is quite horrible, whoever it is she can't sing and it lacks any kind of soul, a very poor version I think.

link

=================================================

I Wish I could sing that horrible :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!