Sunnysoul

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Was this EVER on a 45 ?

Is it my imagination, or was it Mr Levine or some other person of notoriety on the scene, who had a (legitimate) acetate of this on a seven ? :D

Mr Levine did indeed have have this on some kind of 7", but I suspect it was fashioned from the album for convinience sake in north London in an obscure little shanty town of backstreet sheds. I'm not sure he was ever claiming it was anything else...I maybe wrong.

Social source share

Phil Dick

showed made a capitol label of Keep on Climbing

which was proved to be a mock up

Pretty realistic though

Just checked my archived AdvancedNorthernSoul mailing list mail... and there it is... a post from August 16, 2001 and a link to a very lazy faked label scan of the supposed-to-exist Magnificent Men 45. A couple of things gives it away:

1) the tune is actually written by Ronnie Douglas

2) the orchestra is actually arranged and conducted by Horace Ott and Sonny Sanders

3) a Capitol number in the 3200-series would date it to either 1955 or 1971 (they started to re-use their catalogue numbers!)

4) there are two other known 45s with the catalogue number 3224.

Here's the labelscan:

KEEP%20ON%20CLIMBING.jpg

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Blimey Seb ! You archived ANS ! Thats a bit of a worry !

Just checked my archived AdvancedNorthernSoul mailing list mail... and there it is... a post from August 16, 2001 and a link to a very lazy faked label scan of the supposed-to-exist Magnificent Men 45. A couple of things gives it away:

1) the tune is actually written by Ronnie Douglas

2) the orchestra is actually arranged and conducted by Horace Ott and Sonny Sanders

3) a Capitol number in the 3200-series would date it to either 1955 or 1971 (they started to re-use their catalogue numbers!)

4) there are two other known 45s with the catalogue number 3224.

Here's the labelscan:

KEEP%20ON%20CLIMBING.jpg

Social source share

Blimey Seb ! You archived ANS ! Thats a bit of a worry !

Nah... well... I keep pretty much every e-mail I recieve or send. Have been doing that since I first got internet in 1995 or so, no worry really, it just builds and builds. Had a hard drive crash in 1999 so lost most of my e-mails prior to that. It's actually quite fun to go back and read. :thumbsup: Especially those ANS posts... :ohmy::rolleyes:

Social source share

Another great tune by The Magnificent Men which IS available on a Capitol 45 is 'I've Got News'....look out for it! Uptempo out and out Northern.

Hey, Sebastian, I notice you're using a Wheelsville 45 as your signature badge, just reminded me...I recently picked up Lee Rogers' - 'How Are You Fixed For Love' also on Wheelsville...been collecting/attending for 25 years and never heard it before, what an absolute f****ing Detroit stormer!

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

It's supposed to be an LP track only. Have seen other tracks from this on 45 but not Keep on Climbing. However, I did see a studio acetate single for sale on ebay (from the US) and the seller stated that it was the same track but a different take. It went for around $200. Was in the last couple of years.

I prefer their version of Just Walk in My Shoes from this album, pretty good stuff for blue eyed soul.

Dunc

Social source share

Hey, Sebastian, I notice you're using a Wheelsville 45 as your signature badge, just reminded me...I recently picked up Lee Rogers' - 'How Are You Fixed For Love' also on Wheelsville...been collecting/attending for 25 years and never heard it before, what an absolute f****ing Detroit stormer!

I agree, "How Are you Fixed For Love" is an absolute monster of a tune!!! :rolleyes: His version of Danny White's "Cracked Up Over You" which can be found on the flipside is fab as well.

The Wheelsville 45 in my avatar is Buddy Lamp's "Save Your Love", one of my all-time Detroit favourites. It has got the same backing track as Lee Rogers "Sock Some Love Power To Me" but with different lyrics and much grittier vocals.

Social source share

The Wheelsville 45 in my avatar is Buddy Lamp's "Save Your Love", one of my all-time Detroit favourites. It has got the same backing track as Lee Rogers "Sock Some Love Power To Me" but with different lyrics and much grittier vocals.

Now this sounds like an ANS thread ! :rolleyes:

Also the same as Solomon Burkes 'Save It' and the (unreleased) Venice Starks track (different lyrics) the film of which we played at The Rocket and which has since surfaced on those DVD's.

Social source share

Was this EVER on a 45 ?

Is it my imagination, or was it Mr Levine or some other person of notoriety on the scene, who had a (legitimate) acetate of this on a seven ? whistling.gif

Ian hated carrying Lp's to his DJ spots so he made up a 45 of this for convenience. And that was from the horses mouth.

I myself like "Forever Together" over "Keep On Climbing".

Phil.

Social source share

Now this sounds like an ANS thread ! whistling.gif

Also the same as Solomon Burkes 'Save It' and the (unreleased) Venice Starks track (different lyrics) the film of which we played at The Rocket and which has since surfaced on those DVD's.

Avast,

There is also a version of the backing (possibly re-recorded) with vocals by O.V. Wright on Back Beat.

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/sounds/exists...HE_WAY_YOU_LOVE

Yarr.

Edited by pikeys dog
Social source share

There is also a version of the backing (possibly re-recorded) with vocals by O.V. Wright on Back Beat.

Yes, that one is a good stomping version as well. It utilises an entirely different Willie Mitchell produced backing track. Top tune! whistling.gif But the Buddy Lamp version slays the rest of them in my opinion.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Just got Lee Rogers' - 'Sock some love power / The same things that make you laugh' on Premium Stuff, paid quite a bit for it....have to say it's a fantastic double sider. Only problem is when it arrived I thought it looked a bit snyde,....was it ever booted? I can't see no details regarding it in Manship's bootleg guide and it's never turned up in any bootleg lists of stuff so could just be my imagination! Compared it to other Premium Stuff 45's and it's a slightly different shade of yellow, plus it has a lot of dead wax in the run out groove...it's not stamped but that means nothing with a lot of stuff.

Do you or anyone have an original?

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!