Cissy Stone - Gone But Not Forgotten (Decca)

I had Cissy Stone "Gone but not forgotten" in the late 70's.

I went to the USA in 1978. I spent most of the time hunting round record shops.

I saw a record called "Gone But Not Forgotten" that I didn't know. Thinking it might be another version of Cissy Stone I bought it.

It was by Johnny Robinson on OKEH.

I was pleasantly surprised when I played it back home, it was a different record than the one I thought, but great classy Detroit!!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Troop;

They were a Birmingham band that did soul/funk covers, Cissy Stone fronted the band and had a huge presence on stage which matched her huge vocal, I heard "Gone" many times at Wigan, but surely if were being honest here its not a soul record and belongs in the bin with Muriel Day, Helen Shapiro, Tom Jones et all.

I thought we had largely moved past playing pop records, its sad because there must be thousands of records made by black men/women that should get a chance.

Rant over, I'll go and stand in the corner now :g:  :g:

Gouch

Well put Brian.....that Bill Oddie thing wants putting in the bin with it...budge up in that corner I'm joining  you! :yes:

dave L

Social source share

Saw Cissy Stone at The Bungalow (Stockport County FC ) in 1979. Bit of a white Tina Turner, stomping around the stage singing her head off in a tiny outfit which left nothing to the imagination.  Whoo!

She was a regular live act at Wakefield Tiffanies I seem to remember. Wakefield Tiffs also had a Northern Room - the Bali Hai, so Cissy was right in the thick of it. She could belt out a tune too. Not my cup of tea but she was a trouper......

Ian D  :D

Social source share

Troop;

They were a Birmingham band that did soul/funk covers, Cissy Stone fronted the band and had a huge presence on stage which matched her huge vocal, I heard "Gone" many times at Wigan, but surely if were being honest here its not a soul record and belongs in the bin with Muriel Day, Helen Shapiro, Tom Jones et all.

I thought we had largely moved past playing pop records, its sad because there must be thousands of records made by black men/women that should get a chance.

Rant over, I'll go and stand in the corner now :g:  :g:

Gouch

Bit harsh I think Brian - many much loved tunes are essentially 'pop soul' by both black and white singers. Colour not massively relevant to me as long as they create an atmosphere or a bit of excitement. Look at the number of blue-eyed 60's garage and beach scene records played over the years, loads of them by white acts but who cares. It's what's in the grooves that counts  :D 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Pete,i was told by a top dj when i requested Holly St James "I don't do white" so i guess background checks are already in place by some  :huh:

Top Dj and a racist!

What happens when he finds out his favourite record is by a white singer, does he not like it anymore!

It really should not matter what the colour of the singer is, if the record is good or not is what matters.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest acky6859

was a wigan record I heard dave evison play it at wigan and then went and bought a copy and played it up in Scotland. always a fav up here when played. remember when chris king was up in Aberdeen playing and never heard it so I gave him my spare copy lol

Edited by acky6859
Social source share

Wigan Tune. Can you imagine what some playlists would look like if you removed the "WHITE" artist records!

and anyone who calls Helen Shapiro needs a kick up the arse! Fabulous voice she had/has & I should know I once sang with her on stage when I was 4or 5.

Who the F++K wants to check the artists colour before they will play a good dancer out! :g:

look at the tips for 2015 thread and I can tell you theres at least one is a white artist.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

was a wigan record I heard dave evison play it at wigan and then went and bought a copy and played it up in Scotland. always a fav up here when played. remember when chris king was up in Aberdeen playing and never heard it so I gave him my spare copy lol

Brilliant, thanks - that kind of answers my initial question

Out of interest any idea year-wise when DE would have been playing it at Wigan?

Social source share

Guest acky6859

Brilliant, thanks - that kind of answers my initial question

Out of interest any idea year-wise when DE would have been playing it at Wigan?

late 70s I would say

Social source share

Wigan Tune. Can you imagine what some playlists would look like if you removed the "WHITE" artist records!

and anyone who calls Helen Shapiro needs a kick up the arse! Fabulous voice she had/has & I should know I once sang with her on stage when I was 4or 5.

Who the F++K wants to check the artists colour before they will play a good dancer out! :g:

look at the tips for 2015 thread and I can tell you theres at least one is a white artist.

Can I just make it clear that my earlier post was completely colour blind and made purely on the basis that this is a shite disco record, deserving of being filed alongside Sheila B Devotion and 'Northern Monsters'  of a similar ilk. Thank you.

Social source share

Can I just make it clear that my earlier post was completely colour blind and made purely on the basis that this is a shite disco record, deserving of being filed alongside Sheila B Devotion and 'Northern Monsters'  of a similar ilk. Thank you.

Can I also say that the scene is littered with "Disco Pish" so to some CS is a good record and to others its crap.

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

got a box of 50 demos from a record shop that was selling a load of old warehouse stock for 10p each and sold all of them for £5 each,  

same with box of Julian covey island re issue

this was back in 1981.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!