Mavis Staples

okehgaz

I saw her last year on her 75 birthday ..

She did a gig at one of Londons best little venues " The Union Chaple " in Islington .. a working church .. she actually did the gig on her birthday .. and blew the place up !!!

Massive gig .. her sister had trouble getting up in stage .. but she's still got it big time ..

" if your ready come go with me " and see her !!

Social source share

• 1 month later...

The leader of Mavis's backing singer ensemble is usually Donny Gerrard.

Donny had big hits when the lead vocalist for Skylark in the 70's and also solo hits on Rocket & Greedy from 1975 to 77.

In the UK he is best remembered for his top MS cut "He's Always Somewhere Around" (Greedy: 1976).

If he's over with Mavis on this upcoming trip, it would be good if someone could interview him about his own musical career whilst he's here.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Just recieved e-mail today to say that Mavis staples is appearing at the Philharmonic, Liverpool in June. Tickets go on sale tomorrow morning

Also at London, Clapham Grand on 30th June according to her website tour dates. Would love to see and hear her live. Her vocals on The Staple Singers "Trippin' on your love" just get me every time I play it, which is most days to be fair :)

Social source share

Guest MonkeyMod

Seen Mavis a few times in recent years. Thoroughly recommend going. Such a wonderfully warm and inspiring performer. Love her.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Much happening for Mavis in the near future ..............

There is a documentary out on her that HBO will screen in the US ............

....... https://variety.com/2015/film/news/hbo-acquires-sxsw-doc-mavis-1201470235/

Hope the BBC buy it for screening on BBC4

.............. ALSO ..........

She has a new 4 track EP coming out (including 10" vinyl format ) .............

.......   https://consequenceofsound.net/2015/04/stream-mavis-staples-new-ep-your-good-fortune/

I like the 2nd track ("Fight") best  !!  

BTW, she's just back from an Australian tour, the lady is keeping busy.

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!