Awake Records?

Steve G

All this foaming and frothing about Eddie Parker got me thinking about an early 70s record on Awake from Greenville SC by Martha Starr & Moses Dillard. Both Martha and Moses were originally from Greenville, Martha of course toddled off to Detroit to do most of her recording. Reckon she went back home to record the Awake number. The label says it's "A new sound of consciousness" and there is no sniff of Jack Ashford on the credits - Moses Dillard and Tex Town through and through. Despite this, I still have this nagging thought that it's a later incarnation of the same label, and wonder if Moses Dillard bought the label in some sort of deal? Or is it purely co-incidences.

Social source share

Same track came out on Shout, didnt it Steve.

Nice too!

On the face of it, I think I'd say the label name is just a coincidence....

:thumbsup:

Sean

It did Sean, I have it on my Shout set collection as well.  :thumbsup: In fact that reminds me I should probably do a Shout one hour special on Radio - there's enough good material -  have you read the Bert Berns book yet? 

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Great record, I have one of each, although the Shout copy is a bit crackly. 

I did wonder if it was related to the Eddie Parker label, although the South Carolina and Moses Dillard / Tex Town connections did make me think it probably isn't the same one.

A Shout special would be interesting to hear.

Donald Height's flipside "There'll be no tomorrow" used to sound nice, along with both Phillip Mitchell 45s, El Shobey & Co and The Exciters to mention just a few.

By the way, that Awake sleeve looks nice doesn't it  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!