Cresa Watson-Salvation-Charay 90

SHEFFSOUL

No clips on the net as far as I know.  Mighty rare, I know of three copies over here.

karl, has this subject been up on here before, always an interesting one...i know young dyson has it, but isn't it the record, where the artist name has been erazed and another written over the top ( in other words, it's supposed to read cressa watson but it says rita lee ).

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

this is Charay 90 A side...

As far as I'm aware Cresa Watson "You're No Good" came out at least twice on Charay 90

Salvation / You're No Good

If you've Stopped Loving Me / You're No Good

Just saying in case you see a Charay 90 "You're No Good" expecting Salvation to definitely be on the flip

:thumbsup:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

karl, has this subject been up on here before, always an interesting one...i know young dyson has it, but isn't it the record, where the artist name has been erazed and another written over the top ( in other words, it's supposed to read cressa watson but it says rita lee ).

I think Andy's has Cresa crossed out and Rita written on the label in biro.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Not wishing to re-align the thread but just came across this post from about 7 years back re Major Bill Smith.

Makes a lot more sense and easier to understand than Bill Smith's numbering system and releases   :D

Part of the conspiracy is that in 1972, Kentucky, Texas recording producer man Colonel Bill Sanders paid Ian Levine to go into the studio, in league with Frank Popp, a child prodigy who was four at the time, to make all these recordings. Steve Brookstein does all the vocals on every Charay or Le Cam release, apart from those by Pic and Bill, who are actually Frankie and Johnny, who are Frankie Howard and June Whitfield on the earlier releases, and Terry Scott (of The Scott Brothers and The Whispers, a group which included brothers Wally and Wally Scott of The Reflections and Tony Micheals who did the original version of '6X6' on the spoons) and June Whitfield (who's big hit 'The Human Race' was voiced by Junie Morrison of the Ohio Players who used to be The Ohio Untouchables, and Indian group of low caste and who's members at one time included Wilson Pickett (Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys brother) Eddie Floyd, (brother of King Floyd and Floyd Smith) Sir Mack Rice, who did the original version of The Blues Brothers 'Mustang Sally' (written of course about Sally Sagoe who is Jean Carn under another name) and "It Takes One To Know One" originally by Larry Grayson and Micheal Portillo)
All the records on Charay and Le Cam including the rare alternate Tony Micheals vocal of "6 X 6" on Musicor and earlier, Marks and Spencers and an obscure track by The Volumes called 'Lady in Red' (later cover by Chris Rea of The Ostriches) were released on the 'Pama' label which was named after the next door neighbour of the son of a friend of the Auntie of label owner Harry Palmer. No one has ever seen a copy of any of these records on Pama or heard any of them so they must be really good.
That all true that is. thumbsup.gif 

Social source share

yep, its a great version, allot slower pace, dont know if it was the original. Her version of Dead is also very good, and easy to get, I'm not that partial to Ward Burton's version to be honest, overrated and over priced, they seem to come up for sale allot for a mega rare tune...

I have an MP3 if anybody want one,,,

mal

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

yep, its a great version, allot slower pace, dont know if it was the original. Her version of Dead is also very good, and easy to get, I'm not that partial to Ward Burton's version to be honest, overrated and over priced, they seem to come up for sale allot for a mega rare tune...

I have an MP3 if anybody want one,,,

mal

Are we talking about the same thing hear, or have I missed some part of the thread? I think we are talking about "Salvation" on Charay (as in Robert Thomas), not "Sweet Temptation"? :g:

Social source share

I once saw spam fritters dancing and singing in a fish shop ,but I blame those mushrooms we found in Hamsterly forest :)

Nev

I'll never see another pink elephant again,it's spam fritters all the way for me  :lol:  :thumbsup: 

Must admit don't see all the fuss personally it's Robert Thomas all the way for me,you keep all the other versions?

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Are we talking about the same thing hear, or have I missed some part of the thread? I think we are talking about "Salvation" on Charay (as in Robert Thomas), not "Sweet Temptation"? :g:

ahh, I'm talking about 'Sweet temptation' not Salvation, chalky sorry mate, I expect you already have 'Sweet temptation'...

M

Social source share

Not wishing to re-align the thread but just came across this post from about 7 years back re Major Bill Smith.

Makes a lot more sense and easier to understand than Bill Smith's numbering system and releases   :D

Part of the conspiracy is that in 1972, Kentucky, Texas recording producer man Colonel Bill Sanders paid Ian Levine to go into the studio, in league with Frank Popp, a child prodigy who was four at the time, to make all these recordings. Steve Brookstein does all the vocals on every Charay or Le Cam release, apart from those by Pic and Bill, who are actually Frankie and Johnny, who are Frankie Howard and June Whitfield on the earlier releases, and Terry Scott (of The Scott Brothers and The Whispers, a group which included brothers Wally and Wally Scott of The Reflections and Tony Micheals who did the original version of '6X6' on the spoons) and June Whitfield (who's big hit 'The Human Race' was voiced by Junie Morrison of the Ohio Players who used to be The Ohio Untouchables, and Indian group of low caste and who's members at one time included Wilson Pickett (Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys brother) Eddie Floyd, (brother of King Floyd and Floyd Smith) Sir Mack Rice, who did the original version of The Blues Brothers 'Mustang Sally' (written of course about Sally Sagoe who is Jean Carn under another name) and "It Takes One To Know One" originally by Larry Grayson and Micheal Portillo)

All the records on Charay and Le Cam including the rare alternate Tony Micheals vocal of "6 X 6" on Musicor and earlier, Marks and Spencers and an obscure track by The Volumes called 'Lady in Red' (later cover by Chris Rea of The Ostriches) were released on the 'Pama' label which was named after the next door neighbour of the son of a friend of the Auntie of label owner Harry Palmer. No one has ever seen a copy of any of these records on Pama or heard any of them so they must be really good.

REALLY???...... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Ive only got the white label with lilac writing of Rita Lee……Repress isn't it ? Anyway, when I've heard Butch spin the "Cressa Watson" version, it sounds absolutely identical to my Rita Lee one. So, is it the same or not ? Anyone confirm ?

Social source share

Original  is on yellow label and it does read Cressa Watson.

I Know because l had it back in the 70's.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Ive only got the white label with lilac writing of Rita Lee……Repress isn't it ? Anyway, when I've heard Butch spin the "Cressa Watson" version, it sounds absolutely identical to my Rita Lee one. So, is it the same or not ? Anyone confirm ?

I always thought that the Rita Lee (white label) was a 70's boot of Cressa Watson.

But l have never heard them side by side.

Social source share

Martha Starr is from South Carolina (recorded mostly in Detroit in the 60s before returning back to SC). Believe Cressa Watson was a Texas local gal. So two different people. Must admit I can't tell a difference between Rita and Cressa when heard out loud at a niter.

The difference is that one is a collectors holy grail single, the other isn't.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

I think its really strange this Rita Lee/Cresa Watson business. I believed[ can't remember who told me or if I read it somewhere] that the White/lilac Rita Lee was a repress done by the label owner back in the 70s.So, not a boot as such,just a repress by the legal owner of the track. Anyone confirm ? I used to see them around a bit….not any more. When I first heard it,I thought it was good and made an effort to try and get a proper one. Gave up in the end because it was just a fruitless task but I must have tried for 10 years. During that time I was told that the Rita Lee was definitely on a Yellow label/green text original by someone who claimed to have owned one back in the day.

So, my question is,does the Rita Lee actually exist in that original format ? or, does the track only exist in its original Yellow/Green text format as "Cresa Watson" ? My guess is the track is identical anyway, certainly sounds it to my ears.

Thing is, if it does exist as both Rita & Cresa as originals why is it so rare ? Its all very odd.

There must be a fair few of these sitting around in old Northern collections I would have thought wouldn't you ?

Also, if its so rare,then why was it never recognised as such until recent times ? Or was it and I just never knew ?

What do you think ?

Edited by Ivor Jones
Social source share

The copy of Cresa Watson I had, had her name crossed out in green felt tip with Rita Lee written on in the same pen. Same backing track as Robert Thomas and the Men from Macon. I vaguely recall that Rita Lee is a different vocal.

I recorded it when I sold up, I'll try to put it on refosoul.

Social source share

The Rita Lee was done for the scene by the owner, as were other releases.  Brad or Barrie Wadd were in touch with him at one time.

i thought Cresa and Rita were slightly different when listened to in the cold ligt of the day.  Listened to them both round at Andy's but it was a few years ago.  Will try and compare them.

Social source share

Round here Grimsby / Cleethorpes about 1977 every second hand record shop hand stacks of the white/lilac Rita Lee men from Marcon 45 in many different states of condition from mint downwards, just don't see how it can be a boot. It wasn't that popular at that time

I can go with the repress theory as in a re badge of a previous released 45 as in Cresa Watson renamed Rita Lee but to say they where redone for the northern scene makes no scence they were flogging them for 10 pence a piece and why so many in different states of condition

or are we saying they were done early 70s

Social source share

I think its really strange this Rita Lee/Cresa Watson business. I believed[ can't remember who told me or if I read it somewhere] that the White/lilac Rita Lee was a repress done by the label owner back in the 70s.So, not a boot as such,just a repress by the legal owner of the track. Anyone confirm ? I used to see them around a bit….not any more. When I first heard it,I thought it was good and made an effort to try and get a proper one. Gave up in the end because it was just a fruitless task but I must have tried for 10 years. During that time I was told that the Rita Lee was definitely on a Yellow label/green text original by someone who claimed to have owned one back in the day.

So, my question is,does the Rita Lee actually exist in that original format ? or, does the track only exist in its original Yellow/Green text format as "Cresa Watson" ? My guess is the track is identical anyway, certainly sounds it to my ears.

Thing is, if it does exist as both Rita & Cresa as originals why is it so rare ? Its all very odd.

There must be a fair few of these sitting around in old Northern collections I would have thought wouldn't you ?

Also, if its so rare,then why was it never recognised as such until recent times ? Or was it and I just never knew ?

What do you think ?

I knew the yellow copy was rare back than 3 or 4 copies around, l also had the inst on yellow label as well.

I seen to remember the inst on yellow label was not shown as Men From Macon, but Men From Mecca.

Social source share

Round here Grimsby / Cleethorpes about 1977 every second hand record shop hand stacks of the white/lilac Rita Lee men from Marcon 45 in many different states of condition from mint downwards, just don't see how it can be a boot. It wasn't that popular at that time

I can go with the repress theory as in a re badge of a previous released 45 as in Cresa Watson renamed Rita Lee but to say they where redone for the northern scene makes no scence they were flogging them for 10 pence a piece and why so many in different states of condition

or are we saying they were done early 70s

Bought Rita Lee from Syd Booths in Mansfield, brand new same as all the other pressings of that era.

Always classed it as such.

Social source share

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 02/09/2015 at 23:46, diddy morgan said:

im glad thats all been clarified :g:anyway robert thomas is the best version , and thats cos thats the one i got lol

I agree and if my memory serves me correctly...... Ginger played the "Cresa version" at KGH last time I went before Xmas  ...........

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith
On 18 January 2015 at 13:14, Dave Turner said:

That's what I heard Dave,pretty straightforward really lol

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

How rare is Cresa Watson  You're No Good/If you've Stopped Loving Me Charay C-90 believe the one record of it on popsike was the one posted up on youtube. so certainly not commonly available

Social source share

16 hours ago, julesp1905 said:

How rare is Cresa Watson  You're No Good/If you've Stopped Loving Me Charay C-90 believe the one record of it on popsike was the one posted up on youtube. so certainly not commonly available

That one is also very, very rare.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

16 hours ago, julesp1905 said:

I guess that was the original release of Charay 90, because it has consecutive LH matrix numbers (5345/5346).

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/01/2016 at 18:59, Nige Brown said:

I wasnt there but i think it May have been Ginger,,, 

He now has a copy ,,,  ive seen it and hes on a coupler of hours before Andy D,, id put money on him playing it first,, :yes:

Def Ginger and Nige, you where def there too as you played me Earl Grant ( KGH - 26th September 2015 ) :-)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!