Mixer Recommendations

Guest miff

One channel packed up on mine so looking for a new one up to about £100 Running twin decks and a twin CD player though mine so twin channel with phono /line outputs wold do and a USB output for recording would be nice

Thanks in advance

Edited by miff
Social source share

You could do worse than a used Pioneer DJM 250 if you can stretch to just over £100. No USB output but no doubt a separate little gizmo you can add to the analogue output to convert back to digital. Eg I record from one of these mixers direct to a Pioneer CD recorder, which can be picked up quite cheap used and great quality CD recordings you can then upload into iTunes or whatever.

Social source share

I have a technics mixer , it's great for scratching but the eq is like no other mixer ever ! It's not the best tho , formula sound is by far the best sound quality or a rodec if you can find one cheap

But for a pair of turntables playing sixties vinyl I found it perfect.

Social source share

Been running one of these for past couple of years. Long way from the best you can get but great for under £100. Planning a decent upgrade this year so will check out Formula Sound when I do!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMERICAN-AUDIO-Q3433-MKII-DJ-MIXER/181641105946?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3Dd03f350d5aac4ac890ced854d1b8f426%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D271740306959&rt=nc

Social source share

I use one of the 80s twin disco things. 130w per side, 100w speakers with small bass subs piggy backed. Simple!

Fitted with good Audio technica cartridges.. Plonk it on table,plug speakers in and away ya go. 

if I need a big rig, I plug in some powered speakers, via the slave output

things can get very complicated with PA gear,......simple is good

Social source share

I use one of these, 

post-17800-0-65679100-1421695857.jpg

Kam audio pro 1500, nice bit of kit, eq controls on every channel, balanced outputs as well as normal line outs, output level can be set by small presets on the rear to stop people cranking it up too much this is great as long as the DJ doesn't know where they are /what they're for/ or has no screwdriver   :lol:

post-17800-0-30034100-1421696200.jpg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Back up mixer never had to use apart from at home for playing with   :lol:

Vestax MDM 410

This has ballanced outs again in fact all the outputs you need, rec, line out, booth with adj level,

this also has a USB line in/out.

Again all the channels have full eq.

post-17800-0-96184500-1421696665_thumb.j

Click to enlarge image.   :thumbsup:

Edited by Tony A
Social source share

I've been using a Denon 500 mixer,got two turntable inputs,plus two line channels,two mic inputs,the nice thing about this mixer is if a channel goes down all you have to is select another input,without unplugging any inputs, I used to work for first leisure company and worked on many mixers in my time, this is a great dj mixer, not cheap but you get what you pay for! Give it the once over, hope this helps

Nigel

TWISTED STEEL SOUL NITES and days

Social source share

Back up mixer never had to use apart from at home for playing with   :lol:

Vestax MDM 410

This has ballanced outs again in fact all the outputs you need, rec, line out, booth with adj level,

this also has a USB line in/out.

Again all the channels have full eq.

attachicon.gifvestax_mdm410.jpg

Click to enlarge image.   :thumbsup:

I just can't understand why you need so much complication to play records? Surely the record has been equalised in the studio, why do you need to equalise it again?

I always worked on the assumption that simple is best. Less is more.

Social source share

I just can't understand why you need so much complication to play records? Surely the record has been equalised in the studio, why do you need to equalise it again?

I always worked on the assumption that simple is best. Less is more.

In a simple sense, what about accounting for room acoustics? Surely you would concede that some adjustment is necessary from installation to installation.

Even in the same room there is usually adjustment to be made between an empty room at the start of a night and then when it's full of people absorbing the sound.

I know what you're saying about complication and agree in the sense of OTT functionality for just playing 45's off 2 decks, but you can't just set all the pots to zero "because that's how it was recorded to sound" because the sound will be modified by the environment anyway.

Cheers,

Mark R

• Helpful 1
Social source share

In a simple sense, what about accounting for room acoustics? Surely you would concede that some adjustment is necessary from installation to installation.

Even in the same room there is usually adjustment to be made between an empty room at the start of a night and then when it's full of people absorbing the sound.

I know what you're saying about complication and agree in the sense of OTT functionality for just playing 45's off 2 decks, but you can't just set all the pots to zero "because that's how it was recorded to sound" because the sound will be modified by the environment anyway.

Cheers,

Mark R

I agree that the room can make a big difference to the sound. But I always had my top speakers set up high so the sound went over the crowds heads and was crystal clear to the back of the room.

Because I am a perfectionist I once made the mistake of listening to a so called expert who told me my Technics mixer didn't have any mid range adjustment. So I went out and bought a very expensive mixer which also needed all new cables with XLR's.

What a disaster. The mic was so loud that it was either off or blowing the speakers, and one Chanel was louder than the other (couldn't sort it all night), and it fed back all night.

Sent it back the next day and went back to the Technics. If it ain't broke don't try and fix it.

You can have the best gear in the world, but if you haven't got the ear to set it up properly it'll still sound shite.

Edited by Quinvy
Social source share

That's why I used to use either a sound engineer or a good friend who knew these things, otherwise we're just winging it really.....

Russ

I was lucky in that I had Karl to advise me. He had been gigging with his band for many years and he knew about PA.

The first time he came to my little soul night at Burnley Cricket Club he told me in no uncertain terms that my speakers were crap.  :lol: I was very upset, but he brought a set of Peaveys over one day and we set both sets up in the venue.

My God I was embarrassed, mine sounded like sub woofers. I went straight out and bought some Peaveys.  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!