Good Films/documentaries About Soul, R&b..e.t.c

Guest CARL D

Hi there. Just wondered what good films/documentaries/live recordings people like/can recommend, for example Ray and Cadillac Records. Think there's also a doc' about Otis Redding. Anyway, it'd be good to hear peoples recommendations and views. Many thanks. Carl.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Chicago's Record Row

In 5 parts on the Tube, should pick the other 4 parts up from this if you view it on YT

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

a large hatfull of docs/films  including the above in the doc and film sections in the video feature on here

source from youtube, vimeo and beyond all under a one stop roof

[sharedmedia=videos:videos:303]

if you do come across any not yet added then can add them  in a simple 5 secs procedure

and so help both build up a useful reference plus have your own archive/bookmark section

link to feature 

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/videos/

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest son of stan

'The Five Heartbeats'. Haven't seen it since it came out (1991) so I don't know if it has stood up but i remember enjoying it at the time. Drama loosely based on the stories of The Dells / Temptations possibly a few others..

Social source share

Billy Paul. Am I Black Enough For You Is very well done, and worth a watch. Probably one of the best of its time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Billy-Paul-Black-Enough-You/dp/B002BF51BU/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1421763825&sr=1-1&keywords=billy+paul+am+i+black+enough+for+you

There are numerous Marvin Gaye, but mostly just concert ones. Pretty sure the Montreux one is strongest but a while since I watched them.

Solomon Burke one is worth a watch,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Solomon-Burke-Everybody-Needs-Somebody/dp/B000NJLPQ6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421763724&sr=8-2&keywords=solomon+burke+dvd

I have lots but can;t think of much more at moment

Social source share

Yes it is. The same for "Soul Survivor", the documentary on James Brown : https://www.amazon.com/James-Brown-Survivor-Afrika-Bambaataa/dp/B0000DJF4C/ref=sr_1_6?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1421933416&sr=1-6&keywords=soul+survivor

A narrator read  excerpts from Brown's' autobiography while James himself adds some comments, as do a lot of people who shared his life (musicians, wives...).

In her book Marva Whitney mentions this DVD, where she's interviewed.

Here's the link to see this film :

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thankyou for all your suggestions-much appreciated!! I've just watched Cadillac Records, which is really interesting as a pre-cursor to our beloved Soul. Also found the Otis Redding dvd-Dreams to remember. Again, really interesting info'/anecdotes about Stax and Otis, from musicians/related and family. Steve Croppers' stories about his relationship with Otis are extremely endearing, and footage of their wonderful creations sent tingles down my spine! Excellent, and totally recommended viewing pleasure. Cheers, Carl.

Social source share

Obviously- "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown". Any of the other DVDs from Motown ( in the U.S.) are

also worth watching- "The Supremes", "The Four Tops", "The Temptations", "The Miracles " , "Marvin

Gaye" and "Motown- The DVD" all have great  mostly television performances  from the artists.

"The T.A.M.I  Show" is mostly made up of British Invasion groups but... there's some great live work 

from Chuck Berry, James Brown, Marvin Gaye, The Miracles, Marvin Gaye, and has the Blossoms backing

up the performers.

Social source share

• 3 months later...

I'm watching one, it's 1 hour 40 minutes long, made in 2003 called "Togetherness a Northern Soul Documentary". Looks good, huge file though, some 1.27GB. No idea where I got it from, well worth hunting out though.  :thumbsup:   :yes:   

Social source share

Move on up - the Curtis/Impressions story...

There's a wicked Atlantic one that I can't remember the name of...

John Lee Hooker - That's my story...

Respect yourself - the Stax Story

Edited by Dayo
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

On you tube......Curtus Mayfield live at Ronnie Scotts, includes him doing Billy jack(awesome song), not a movie as such but filled with soul from top to bottom side to side and back to front and well worth watching.R.I.P Curtis God bless .

Social source share

On you tube......Curtus Mayfield live at Ronnie Scotts, includes him doing Billy jack(awesome song), not a movie as such but filled with soul from top to bottom side to side and back to front and well worth watching.R.I.P Curtis God bless .

yeh man...........Curtis without a doubt THE guvoner!!

1972.......old grey whistle test.........gotta have peace.......fekkin quality

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 6 years later...
On 18/01/2015 at 23:24, Boogaloo said:

20 feet from Stardom, Muscle Shoals and Search for Sugarman would be a good start

Searching for Sugar Man (2012)

Category: Film

Sky Arts

Freeview:11Sky:820Virgin:165BT:349

Wed 27 Apr
9:00pm-10:40pm (1 hour 40 minutes)

Documentary following two fans in search of their musical idol. American singer Sixto Rodriguez enjoyed a brief recording career in the 1970s before fading into obscurity. However, his politically conscious music became incredibly popular in South Africa. Bizarre stories of his death had circulated over the years, but two devotees plan to find out what really became of him

follower a bit later by:

Muscle Shoals (2013)

Category: Film

Sky Arts

Freeview:11Sky:820Virgin:165BT:349

Wed 27 Apr
11:40pm-1:55am (2 hours 15 minutes)

A look inside the acclaimed music hub, located alongside the Tennessee River. The studio's output has helped to create some of the most important and resonant songs of all time. Founder Rick Hall overcame poverty and tragedy and brought black and white musicians together in Alabama's cauldron of racial hostility to create music for the generations. Contributors include Greg Allman, Clarence Carter, Mick Jagger, Etta James, Alicia Keys, Keith Richards and Percy Sledge

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!