Chuck Holiday Just Can't Trust Nobody . . What Year Was This Released?

Guest Leonardo

Yep, On Gloria records, costs allot, and its not that good... it did get a reissue in the late 9ts early 2000ns...

Strangely I wonder if it actually got issued twice on Gloria... oh and its the same backing as another Big Detroit record, Green label, cant remember the name..

post-2025-0-95601100-1421694240_thumb.pn

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Voice Records was owned by Chex's Tony Ewing, and the recording session was run by Popcorn Wylie.  Gabriel Garrett, who produced the Gloria record, had worked previously with Ewing.  There's no credit to Ewing, and his own Music publishing co., Criss Music, doesn't share the publishing with Garrett's publisher.  I wonder how Garrett got that backing track, and why the original music writers, Ewing and Othea George, didn't share in the writing credits?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Daren't ask him for his opinion on E.WILLIAMS -TRADE MY SOIL WITH THE DEVIL  :wicked:

I just hate the vocal on Chuck Holiday, its not a patch on the Four Voices vocals... and I love both versions of 'Trade my Soul', but E.Williams probably a bit more...

Edited by Mal C
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

For me Four Voices has everything CH doesn't have - class - apart the very last line - "that low down dirty dog just stole my woman" - quality!  Far from bobbins, just both sides of the FV is far superior backing wise and vocally

However, any version of TMS is bobbins of the highest order lol

Edited by jumpinjoan
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

• 4 years later...

I was not a member of this site until recently so thought would add some info 4 years on

I found a stickered copy of Chuck's next record dated 1975 so I am guessing same year or slightly earlier which also implies that this was  release was a couple of years before the Four Voices which I believe was 1977

Did we ever know who Chuck was ? I know he partnered Timmy Shaw through Johnnie Mae Matthews on Big Hit

Chcuk.jpg

Timmy.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

The gold 'reissues'* of the Four Voices may well be from 1977 but the green labelled copies of both Four Voices titles are late '60s.

* This has generally been referred to as a legal reissue and it does seem to use the same Archer plates as the original but as to who put it out and at whose request or prompting I've never seen adequately answered.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

6 hours ago, Garethx said:

The gold 'reissues'* of the Four Voices may well be from 1977 but the green labelled copies of both Four Voices titles are late '60s.

* This has generally been referred to as a legal reissue and it does seem to use the same Archer plates as the original but as to who put it out and at whose request or prompting I've never seen adequately answered.

Social source share

The Gold ones done 1999/2000 by someone with access to the plates.  May have been Brooklyn Born, he was selling a l lot of them when the first appeared. Whoever did them apparently or allegedly didn’t own the rights nor have the the rights to press them. 

Like Gareth says there is no way The Four Voices is a 1977 recording. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

58 minutes ago, Chalky said:

The Gold ones done 1999/2000 by someone with access to the plates.  May have been Brooklyn Born, he was selling a l lot of them when the first appeared. Whoever did them apparently or allegedly didn’t own the rights nor have the the rights to press them. 

Like Gareth says there is no way The Four Voices is a 1977 recording. 

Sorry Chalky....... so the "gold" ones only came about in the late 1990's (I bought one off Ebay when there were loads of them) and there wasn't one in the 1970's as suggested.....is that correct ?

I have looked at other threads and it's very confusing and the implication was that there were 2 gold ones

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

On 09/09/2019 at 23:46, Blackpoolsoul said:

I was not a member of this site until recently so thought would add some info 4 years on

I found a stickered copy of Chuck's next record dated 1975 so I am guessing same year or slightly earlier which also implies that this was  release was a couple of years before the Four Voices which I believe was 1977

Did we ever know who Chuck was ? I know he partnered Timmy Shaw through Johnnie Mae Matthews on Big Hit

I always heard he was Charles Dillard, who was listed on most of Chuck Holiday's cuts as songwriter, and sometimes as the arranger. 

Social source share

41 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Sorry Chalky....... so the "gold" ones only came about in the late 1990's (I bought one off Ebay when there were loads of them) and there wasn't one in the 1970's as suggested.....is that correct ?

I have looked at other threads and it's very confusing and the implication was that there were 2 gold ones

There may well be two gold presses, I didn't see one before the initial lot.  There is a green boot, all in a previous topic. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, Garethx said:

Don't think anyone has just come out and said the gold copies are just out and out counterfeits but they are imo

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!