University Challenge

Jaco

On the subject of irony, did anyone else see the "northern Soul" question on university challenge, last night? starter for ten was identify this track…answer they got which was Frank Wilson. The next 3 tracks were Dusty Springfield, Gladys Knight and I can't remember the last one, all of which they answered as Aretha Franklin.

You can't blame them for not knowing but blimey University Challenge!! you can't beat a bit of media exposure can you and I did always think the teams were on top of each other with stairs at the back.

Social source share

Actually years and years ago I heard "She blew a good thing" Poets in a music round.

ROD

Rod you and me must be the only ones to remember them playing that clip.

Was a very long time ago, possibly 40 years.

That's five questions I've answered on University Challenge, doesn't make me a Professor of Soul though, sadly!

Best

Mick

Social source share

The students looked pretty sheepish as they wracked their brains on the bonus questions, tittering away to disguise their ignorance of contemporary youf culture. Maybe some of the wannabe DJ's out there should help promote university discos and educate a few students about the joys of Frank, Gloria, Al, Major, Dobie and 50,000 others. Did Aretha Franklin release any Northern tunes as that was the only name one team could come up with?

Social source share

Didn't know the Dusty Springfield track, not that I think of Dusty a Soul singer, please fell free to contradict me, be gentle with me though.

Mick Perrins.

I didnt recognise the track either but Dusty was arguably our finest ever female vocalist. Soulful? Definitely.

The bewildered look on the faces of the students was hardly surprising. Kids of today, what do they know, eh?

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

More like colour by numbers !

I once did a spot at the Royal College of Art in '72 if you wanna talk really clueless....

Only Connect, with the beautiful Victoria Curen. :)

post-2123-0-02984100-1421782837_thumb.jp

Social source share

Guest son of stan

On the subject of irony, did anyone else see the "northern Soul" question on university challenge, last night? starter for ten was identify this track…answer they got which was Frank Wilson. .

Answer to the starter for ten was, 'northern soul'..Question was along the lines of 'what genre of music is this an example of?'

So I'm afraid I can't give you any points for that.

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!