A Quick Question - Larry Hale On Diamond

Go to solution Solved by Mellorful,

It was - theres no such thing as a Diamond WD - and then they did it again on a really good lookalike..

Yep just as I thought. Found a copy in an old box on a Diamond issue, but it didnt quite look right against other Diamond label stuff I have. Label is a bit paler and the lettering is not as crisp as you would expect.

Anything else definite which confirms its a looky likey ?

Manship has a "repro" on a Diamond WD

Edited by Andy Mac
Social source share

There's been a couple of threads on this, be careful regarding your slight label variation, it could be genuine. Not straight forward. I've got a look a like boot that I bought as an orig as a youngster just after it broke big and the green and White boots were all over. I've also got a good one now that does look different in label to the darker green/ turquoise orig. if it's helpful I'll post a picture later when home.

Social source share

There's been a couple of threads on this, be careful regarding your slight label variation, it could be genuine. Not straight forward. I've got a look a like boot that I bought as an orig as a youngster just after it broke big and the green and White boots were all over. I've also got a good one now that does look different in label to the darker green/ turquoise orig. if it's helpful I'll post a picture later when home.

Social source share

Hi Andy,

I got one of these just before it started getting popular (around '76?) and there was no real demand for it at that point. I'm fairly sure it's an issue copy.

I'd have to go 'rooting' through a few boxes to find it, but if no one comes up with anything else, I'll scan it for you so you can compare it - assuming it's the issue!

I do remember seeing the green and white boots turning up but that would have been some time later.

Social source share

post-5677-0-04217600-1421881397_thumb.jp

Look a like boot, purchased in '76 or '77, the week after this write up in Black Echos. 

Originally covered up as Pat White's One More Once, this is a brilliant Wigan '76 Stomper. The maxim widely used when listening to a new song - if it grabs you in the first twenty seconds grab it, works with this one. .......

Watch out for the Blue Diamond Normal copies as against the green and white demo which is a pressing. 

Thought I'd got an orig in my youthful optimism! 

Social source share

• Solution

Manship guide to bootlegs

"Bootlegged twice ..first white/green label. then fake look a like counterfeit, complete with drillhole. Although its in 3 colours. Label print quality is poor. its light blue background as apposed to asea green background. But the counterfeiters got matrix wrong when they scratched a - inbetween 203 a. Original has no dash". 

Look for the absence of a dash.....

Atb

Stu

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Manship guide to bootlegs

"Bootlegged twice ..first white/green label. then fake look a like counterfeit, complete with drillhole. Although its in 3 colours. Label print quality is poor. its light blue background as apposed to asea green background. But the counterfeiters got matrix wrong when they scratched a - inbetween 203 a. Original has no dash". 

Atb

Stu

That holds up, first pic of look a like boot has D203-B. Second pic D 203B. Thought there was a circle stamp but looking close (close as these eyes can), don't think it is stamped but a further etched mark.

Social source share

Hi Andy,

I got one of these just before it started getting popular (around '76?) and there was no real demand for it at that point. I'm fairly sure it's an issue copy.

I'd have to go 'rooting' through a few boxes to find it, but if no one comes up with anything else, I'll scan it for you so you can compare it - assuming it's the issue!

I do remember seeing the green and white boots turning up but that would have been some time later.

The green and white demos came out approx November 76, November or December anyway

• Helpful 1
Social source share

So you think it was booted on issue and promo with and without a dash ? I, m confused.

As described by Mellorful:

"Bootlegged twice ..first white/green label. then fake look a like counterfeit, complete with drillhole. Although its in 3 colours. Label print quality is poor. its light blue background as apposed to asea green background. But the counterfeiters got matrix wrong when they scratched a - in between 203 a. Original has no dash". 

From Dean:

look a like boot has D203-B

If your copy has the attributes in bold  its same as mine and the look -a-like boot.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!