Soul Related Books

Gilly

Don't know about you lot but iam a git for my soul music books especially if they are written by the guys involved in creating the music we love so much. Ive just about finished my latest one its a book by Al Lewis (who you might say) well he is the guy that formed The T S U Tornados and tells the story of the ups and the downs of his life and the music business first hand. The book is called The Hidden Man not long been out so if your like me a reader of these type of books then you must get yourself a copy its brill and an eye opener

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Russell H

I'm currently reading Motown - The View From The Bottom by Jack Ashford.

It's a little lightweight, to be honest, very much "We went here and had a wonderful time, then we went here and had a wonderful time, then...".

Social source share

Don't know about you lot but iam a git for my soul music books especially if they are written by the guys involved in creating the music we love so much. Ive just about finished my latest one its a book by Al Lewis (who you might say) well he is the guy that formed The T S U Tornados and tells the story of the ups and the downs of his life and the music business first hand. The book is called The Hidden Man not long been out so if your like me a reader of these type of books then you must get yourself a copy its brill and an eye opener

And readily available on Amazon.co.uk!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hidden-Man-Story-Unfulfilled-Dream/dp/1505582180/

Will have to get me a copy of that. Thanks for the tip!  :thumbsup: 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Yes, hearing the stories from those that made the music - priceless.

'Guitars, bar's and Motown superstars' by Dennis Coffey is a good read. He played on loads of Detroit stuff including Ric Tic Al Kent releases etc.

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Not about creating the music but if you want a good laugh see if you can get hold of Do I Love You by Paul McDonald.

Funniest book I have ever read.

:thumbup:  :thumbup: :thumbup:  

I agree, it had me laughing out loud several times, especially when he used the local accent, one bit when they went to this womans flat in Walsall and she referred to her partner "Oi, saft c*nt", it rang so true...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's a little lightweight, to be honest, very much "We went here and had a wonderful time, then we went here and had a wonderful time, then...".

yes it's not one that I'd recommend unfortunately

Social source share

I was really disappointed with the book.  For all he has done and been involved with there was little substance.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Pleased you enjoyed it Gilly

Social source share

yes it's not one that I'd recommend unfortunately

I was really disappointed with the book.  For all he has done and been involved with there was little substance.

Pretty much how I'd describe "My name is Caleb N. Ginyard", the biography of one of the members of the Golden Gate Quartet and other spiritual groups of the day. His childhood years on the rural South are quite informative, but once he gets to the musical adventures the story goes very flat and very matter of fact. Given how trailblazing the group were, I expected so much more.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!