News: Sad News Simon Lyster R.I.P.

ricticman

Pete, don't think I knew your brother but my condolences for your loss

but you were quite an influence on him Pete.

Your mag ' that beatin rhythm ' was always going missing as he filched them. And your  ' beat ballad' tapes introduced him to loads of new sounds

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Marie and myself would like to pass on our sincere condolences to Jean and family.

Simon was such a lovely guy, and always so on the case that it's hard to believe he has gone, I'm struggling to take in the news 10 days after hearing it. It's just so sad.

Simon loved his music and had amazing good taste. He kindly wrote an introduction to my book  "Northern Soul Stories" which reflected how much the whole scene meant to him, and being Simon it was very articulate. 

One of his most endearng habits was always to be enquiring about things. He would, in typical Manc style, let you know if he thought something you had done was good or bad, but did so without any attitude, he just though it was important to get things spot on.  

I  would know - from what Simon said - if  the music at the "Summer In The Park" All-Dayer was going well or not. He was always right too!  I'm going to miss him quizzing me about my days working in Detroit with the Techno guys, and asking about what was going on behind the scenes at The Manchester Ritz All-Dayers in the 1970's. When he told me he thought I had done a good job at The Ritz and that he had  loved the All-Dayers  it made me feel ten feet tall.

Right, I'm off now to play two of his favourite records, Mel Britt "She'll Come Running Back" and Rhythim Is Rhythim "Strings Of Life" and think of Simon Lyster.

Respect and Love to you mate, you are going to be missed.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!