ZoomSoulBlue

Dyslexia Am I Missing Out On Something

the biggest problem with Dyslexia is that lazy schools / medical professionals use it as a catch all title to label kids. 

a lot of the time the issue is poor education.

Felt best by the site team that this topic is best served in Freebasing proper for the time being. Current affairs is a more serious forum, and the opening post ''Now I can rub shoulders with the rich and famous'', seems to be treating the matter somewhat flippantly.

Site Team

My eldest son was dyslexic. Once we realized their was a problem ,the school and teachers where brilliant. He ended up with 10 GCSE,s and went onto University where he got a degree in French.

Steve

Good on him. Did it disappear eventually? 

Branson is a beacon of hope for anybody with this or a related issue. Anyone who was buying islands in the sun in their 20s aint done too bad. 

I don't think it does disappear.  My ex-brother-in-law is dyslexic, and he has learned how to deal with it so it isn't really an issue for him on a day-to-day basis any more, but it's not like you have a cold, and then it goes away and you're better -- he will always still be dyslexic...

I don't think it does disappear.  My ex-brother-in-law is dyslexic, and he has learned how to deal with it so it isn't really an issue for him on a day-to-day basis any more, but it's not like you have a cold, and then it goes away and you're better -- he will always still be dyslexic...

What? You mean it's not down to lazy schools and medical professionals using the term as 'a catch all' as post 2 seems to suggest?

Ive always thought there are also varying degrees of Dyslexia, from not being able to tell right from left or to set out knives/forks on the correct side without thinking, which is been the bane of my life along with getting some letters in the wrong order. Never really bothered me or held me back at all and no one would know but i`ve often though this may be related.

And that`s the 1st time ive admitted it openly  :yes:

Edit: Not that there`s anything really to admit, it never occurred to me I had a real problem, i just find this thread interesting.

Edited by Steve Lane

What? You mean it's not down to lazy schools and medical professionals using the term as 'a catch all' as post 2 seems to suggest?

I think your right......that was one of the problems years ago Win but things have moved on somewhat. 

It`s a sort of "brain-fog" with me.

Edited by Steve Lane

Win -- not sure if you're being sarcastic here or not!!!  :)

I think it's probably some of both if you want the serious answer.  There is definitely appalling education going on out there and there are probably also some kids who just can't be bothered who get lumped in as dyslexic because there are some professionals who can't be bothered too...

But for people who really are dyslexic, proper treatment/learning really does make a difference...

My take on it.Far more diagnosed with it,because of early detection techniques.In the past,anyone with reading difficulties,and showing signs of frustration/disruption at school were classed as "naughty".Now they are given a tag/reason for their behaviour. 

Also there must be a correlation between ADHD,dyslexia and diet.

I think your right......that was one of the problems years ago Win but things have moved on somewhat. 

It`s a sort of "brain-fog" with me.

Win -- not sure if you're being sarcastic here or not!!!  :)

I think it's probably some of both if you want the serious answer.  There is definitely appalling education going on out there and there are probably also some kids who just can't be bothered who get lumped in as dyslexic because there are some professionals who can't be bothered too...

But for people who really are dyslexic, proper treatment/learning really does make a difference...

My apologies I was attempting to be sarcastic, I believe it's very much a real thing, and can't put it down to poor education. 

My apologies I was attempting to be sarcastic, I believe it's very much a real thing, and can't put it down to poor education. 

who was saying its not a real thing? 

my point was, and made from recent personal experience, is that the term is bandied about by schools when kids are having an issue grasping something. there are lots of reasons why this happens to some kids and schools use the term Dyslexia to cover the fact they are failing some kids.

ive spoken to lots of parents who's kids have been mislabelled due to falling behind in a huge class and have had to pay for professional out of school tutoring to sort the schools mess.

maybe leave sarcasm to face to face you dont pull it off well online.  

Not going to blame Win for that one -- far more likely that it's just me as an American who doesn't get it!  :)

I`m sure we can have a laugh without being offended, there are some great jokes about goats and togas :lol:

I`ve never been diagnosed or even felt the need to be, it`s just a thought of mine. I also have terrible hand-writing, like a child's even. I hate having to write anything, I would rather type it out.

Edited by Steve Lane

my point was, and made from recent personal experience, is that the term is bandied about by schools when kids are having an issue grasping something. there are lots of reasons why this happens to some kids and schools use the term Dyslexia to cover the fact they are failing some kids.

ive spoken to lots of parents who's kids have been mislabelled due to falling behind in a huge class and have had to pay for professional out of school tutoring to sort the schools mess.

I'll bear it in mind

the biggest problem with Dyslexia is that lazy schools / medical professionals use it as a catch all title to label kids. 

a lot of the time the issue is poor education.

My apologies for being sarcastic :thumbsup:  It's too important a topic. 

I have looked for links to back up what you're saying, but can't find them, no agenda, but if you could put them up, as I'd very much like to read them. 

My apologies for being sarcastic :thumbsup:  It's too important a topic. 

I have looked for links to back up what you're saying, but can't find them, no agenda, but if you could put them up, as I'd very much like to read them. 

not sure why you feel the need to see something to 'back up' my personal experience. 

i didnt write a blog about it just sorted it out for my kid. wasnt alone in what happened to us. 

and of course there are kids who have a real issue in this way. i just wonder how many parents have not been as unforgiving, relentless and rigorous as we were and just took what they were told as fact.  

part of it was down to a v poor lazy teacher who was in the end disciplined for the failure of my kids basic educational needs.  was left wondering how much of this kind of thing gets brushed away, glossed over where kids are needlessly diagnosed with something which still does have a stigma for the kid.

not sure why you feel the need to see something to 'back up' my personal experience. 

i didnt write a blog about it just sorted it out for my kid. wasnt alone in what happened to us. 

and of course there are kids who have a real issue in this way. i just wonder how many parents have not been as unforgiving, relentless and rigorous as we were and just took what they were told as fact.  

part of it was down to a v poor lazy teacher who was in the end disciplined for the failure of my kids basic educational needs.  was left wondering how much of this kind of thing gets brushed away, glossed over where kids are needlessly diagnosed with something which still does have a stigma for the kid.

I looked for links and then asked for them simply because you've said in your first post ''The biggest problem...'' and ''A lot of the time...'', those sort of claims are usually the findings of some sort of enquiry rather than personal experience. As I said, no agenda, just wanted to read them was all  :thumbsup:

Often it's to do with a colour imbalance in the brain, if they can figure out which colour it is and fit the child with glasses with the right tinted lens it works fine.  I have friends who's son, Sam, was labelled as dyslexic at public school and of course tests were done and it was all sorted at a price, now Sam is reading Architecture at Oxford.

Often it's to do with a colour imbalance in the brain, if they can figure out which colour it is and fit the child with glasses with the right tinted lens it works fine.  I have friends who's son, Sam, was labelled as dyslexic at public school and of course tests were done and it was all sorted at a price, now Sam is reading Architecture at Oxford.

That's true Dave.I've had dealings with young people who present a tinted plastic ruler to the computer screen,which helps them read.Green seems to be the most common colour,although we have had a young girl with orange tinted glasses.

That's true Dave.I've had dealings with young people who present a tinted plastic ruler to the computer screen,which helps them read.Green seems to be the most common colour,although we have had a young girl with orange tinted glasses.

Sam's is orange too, looks a right silly sod, but as he's much bigger than me now I say nothing. 

Ive always thought there are also varying degrees of Dyslexia, from not being able to tell right from left or to set out knives/forks on the correct side without thinking, which is been the bane of my life along with getting some letters in the wrong order. Never really bothered me or held me back at all and no one would know but i`ve often though this may be related.

And that`s the 1st time ive admitted it openly  :yes:

yep, that's me as well, also can only hand write in capitals, 20 years in nursing writing notes, reports etc, one complaint !, really struggle with forms with little boxes for each letter though

Branson is a beacon of hope for anybody with this or a related issue. Anyone who was buying islands in the sun in their 20s aint done too bad.

It never goes away but in my son's case it was learning to differentiate between the two letters and in what context they needed to be placed and or used in a sentence.

Steve

Guest sharmo 1

Can we stop using the buzz word issue it's a problem not a demo

hi Tim , have to agree can't stand the word issues also people who start every sentence with so , and people that end their sentence's with a high word , as if they think your thick and don't understand what their on about. I suppose it's a form of audio dyslexia . Regards Uncle Walt . ( Twilight zone the movie )

hi Tim , have to agree can't stand the word issues also people who start every sentence with so , and people that end their sentence's with a high word , as if they think your thick and don't understand what their on about. I suppose it's a form of audio dyslexia . Regards Uncle Walt . ( Twilight zone the movie )

Totally agree! They, are three of my very favourite pet hates (and I have lots) :hatsoff2:

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.