Northern Soul Deejay Pay

Wiggyflat

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a matter of interest, can professional DJ's claim the cost of buying records as a tax deductible expense?

Just curious.

Of course!. You can't do a job without the 'Tools', just like a Tradesman.

Your problem comes when you want to sell the record that you've claimed tax relief on.

Edited by Zed1
Social source share

Just as a matter of interest, can professional DJ's claim the cost of buying records as a tax deductible expense?

Just curious.

Absolutely!.....tools of the trade just like any other profession.

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Just curious.

Just the vat paid if he has paid it

Social source share

I know that in the 90s when I was working at Acid Jazz, our accountant warned us that their was an HMRC unit - based in Watford - that kept an eye on the music world. The looked at adverts in the papers, noted down names and would investigate if they thought people were avoiding their tax.

Whether they still exist, I don't know.

Social source share

Very few will make a profit out of DJing on the NS scene given the cost of buying OVO, in the circumstances it is probably worth writing to HMRC and explaining this and state you would suggest it be treated as a hobby with no profit and no loss.

Detail the last few months record purchases and the income received, the former heavily outweighing the latter.

If they wish formal accounts then you will be submitting a large loss relief claim.

That way you have been upfront with the authorities and if they want to push matters they are gonna be issuing refunds.

Personally I won't take payment and leave the money with the promoter to donate to a charity of his choice.

Atb

Stu

Social source share

Absolutely!.....tools of the trade just like any other profession.

This is really interesting. One would assume that, as a capital purchase, the records would be a depreciating asset on your books. The longer you hold on to them the less they are worth. If you then sold them for let's say the same price you paid for them, would it be a capital gain against the value on your books? Any accountants out there?

Social source share

Always baffled me this, offsetting the cost of records against the fee for playing them,

Aren't DJs invited to play their records because they already have them, and if the DJ wants to add to his/her collection along the way then that's up to them? They can always be sold on again, often (but not always) for a profit,

Social source share

Always baffled me this, offsetting the cost of records against the fee for playing them,

Aren't DJs invited to play their records because they already have them, and if the DJ wants to add to his/her collection along the way then that's up to them? They can always be sold on again, often (but not always) for a profit,

Depends on what scene you are on I guess. NS, you could make a profit (Eddie Parker etc)….sure. Modern soul, take your CDs and 12s to a shop and you'll get feck all for em…. :rofl:

Social source share

Depends on what scene you are on I guess. NS, you could make a profit (Eddie Parker etc)….sure. Modern soul, take your CDs and 12s to a shop and you'll get feck all for em…. :rofl:

The header says 'Northern soul Deejay Pay',

By profit I didn't mean necessarily in the Eddie Parker bracket, I reckon Northern Soul records in general are worth more today than anytime previously,

My main point though was, regardless of the profit of selling on the vinyl, the cost of records should not be factored into a DJ fee,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This is really interesting. One would assume that, as a capital purchase, the records would be a depreciating asset on your books. The longer you hold on to them the less they are worth. If you then sold them for let's say the same price you paid for them, would it be a capital gain against the value on your books? Any accountants out there?

That only works with Fixed Assets.  I would expect that records/CD's would be classed as Inventory Assets as they will have a "cash value" (can be sold within a year, for however large or small it may be).  From an accounting perspective they'd probably classified something like "available for sale", so wouldn’t have depreciation amortization overlay applied to them.

Edited by John Reed
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Remember back when I was at art college and Paul Madden had a stall in the covered market in Hull that he had dreadful problems with the taxman trying to differentiate between personal collection sales and 'record dealing'.

Dx

Social source share

But read the multitude of threads on here Steve, where people state that when they bought EP etc for a pound at Wigan they never realised what they'd be worth now......and the "if only we knew....."

I was talking to a well known record dealer/seller at Bully's party and he said the thing that's really rare now/future are actually the indie CD's etc......it's just whether there is any market for them.

Odd items are fetching money......William Mininfield £100 anyone.

You just never know, but it's fair to say that music should be bought because you like it, not as an investment. Stick to that mantra and you'll never be disappointed!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Yes agree with all of that, someone has to want them….. if you've got a desire to hear new music, you'll just keep buying. :thumbsup:

Bully's party, when was that? :rofl:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!