Ray Charles - I Don't Need *a* Doctor

Guest ephraim

Guest ephraim

Hi all,

Has anyone ever seen this variation before? Title is "I Don't Need a Doctor" instead of the usual "I Don't Need No Doctor". Picked up this copy a couple months ago, but haven't seen another like it before.

post-34033-0-21896500-1422098793_thumb.j

Social source share

Guest ephraim

Duh.

Never came out on Tangerine so why's it got a Tangerine number on an ABC copy Einstein?

Oh, I see the answer to my question above. TRC for Tangerine Records...

Social source share

I've seen it before, but it's the least common pressing.  It was pressed in a plant that still had the blank labels from the previous style that had already been changed in all other plants for many months (possibly more than a year) to the white circle design.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest ephraim

I've seen it before, but it's the least common pressing.  It was pressed in a plant that still had the blank labels from the previous style that had already been changed in all other plants for many months (possibly more than a year) to the white circle design.

Thanks, Robb!

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL .... The ABC PARAMOUNT LABEL Shown is the 1st release in 1966 it was in 1967 that the PARAMOUNT Company split away from ABC, Most if not all releases from that point had it's focus on the movie industry releasing film scores, "paint your wagon" is a good example,  

In 67 all releases come out just on the ABC LABEL in the USA,  The UK releases still mentioned both ABC & PARAMOUNT COMPANYS,

As with all the UK HMV ABC PARAMOUNT output it both R&W AND G&W DEMOS state US COMPANY,, Cheers DAVE K

post-13241-0-46388400-1422194043_thumb.j

Social source share

Putting the label aside, I wonder how it came about that the title was changed?  a clerical error on the order to the pressing plant? a misinterpreted verbal request?

It just goes to show that these variations exist without them being second issues, second pressings, bootlegs or whatever - just simply different!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Putting the label aside, I wonder how it came about that the title was changed?  a clerical error on the order to the pressing plant? a misinterpreted verbal request?

It just goes to show that these variations exist without them being second issues, second pressings, bootlegs or whatever - just simply different!

The grammar police at the printer made this change.  They assumed wrongly, that ABC would have wanted the grammar in the title to be in proper American English, as opposed to the way in which Ray Charles sang the song.  Clearly, the person who made that decision, hadn't heard Brother Ray's song on the radio, played from a WDJ issue, that preceded this first press run. 

For the pressing at that plant, the printing order was separate, because it went to the printer used by that plant.  That same error was not made in the other orders at the other plants.  At Airwave Records, we had printers screw up on orders that I, myself had okayed and seen that the words had been spelt correctly.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

The ABC release has the release # as #10865 and underneath has  AMP 45-TRC-257A and even has a 

small TRC logo next to the ABC Records logo.

On your copy, the printer must have switched  the release info around.

All Ray Charles' releases after he started Tangerine Records, were Tangerine Productions, and should have had the Tangerine logo on the labels.  That was part of his new production deal.

Social source share

Tangerine Records was started in 1962 and with ABC it was pretty much hit or miss with the Tangerine logo.

I looked at quite a few 45's on e-bay- never did see one with the Tangerine logo on the ABC-Paramount releases,

saw some before and after "....Doctor" that had the logo while there were just as many that didn't. Even checked 

a few of the later ABC in the box logo and some had the TRC on them some didn't.

Social source share

Somewhat similar to Jackie Wilson nothing but blue skies and a batch being pressed. Up as Nothing but heartaches. ??

i think this was a cock up at the Brunswick offices...the Heartaches version uses the title and writing credits of an Artistics B side from a year earlier (1967)....Carl Davis got his royalties either way as he was on the writing credits of both (the boss usually gets his cut)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!