Rare/northern Soul Record Collectors

• Replies 34
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I think and actually believe that this is an impossible goal....know one big and well known UK collector/DJ whose aim was to reach that goal but he told me he gave up on it...while he was still trying to do so I myself coul offer him from memory at least three 45s he did not have and did not know about at all before, so you see there is plenty of records left all the time which makes it impossible for anyone to claim he has ALL. IMHO

Social source share

Has any collector actually got a copy of everything known and recognised that there is to collect? or is it impossible to reach that point?

Ed

Almost def no.

It was part of Tim Brown's game plan a few years ago.

Can't say if it still is, but I'd say he was closer than most.

Social source share

Has any collector actually got a copy of everything known and recognised that there is to collect? or is it impossible to reach that point?

Ed

Impossible, I've spent 38 years collecting the records I love - Not got enough Money to collect everything, In the early years I tried, but you still need to be in the right place at the right time. There is always more to collect, and then some.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Guest Dodger

Quite an interesting point this. I know it's impossible to answer but I'd love to know how much of it all is known and how much of it is still to be heard, in percentage terms? You can listen to the opinions of recognised and respected authories on it like Tim or John Manship or John Anderson, but there's still no way of actually telling how much is out there, is there?

The never-ending quest for the next one, be it rare or otherwise, is all part of the integral fun of it I suppose and personally, though I suppose it's the same for most of us, the day we stop looking for the next great soul record it's time to jack it in!! ph34r.gif

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

You couldn't achieve this even if you won the lottery big time. Some things are just not available. Anyhow, its always nice to think that there are more records to collect ph34r.gif

Social source share

I think the impossibility of this task is illustrated by Tim Ashibende's sales boxes which I saw at Cleethorpes about 4 years ago. If anyone hasn't seen them he has 3 or 4 small boxes titled "Rare" "Really Rare" "The really really rare stuff" and something like "don't bother looking in here". I had a look through the "really really rare stuff" and truly didn't recognise a single record. The cheapest was about 300.

It illustrated to me my complete ignorance and also the depth of knowledge there must be about and vast numbers of records there are to find. I wanted to sit down for a day with each box and play each record just to know what they were like. He wouldn't let me borrow them though ph34r.gif .

Social source share

Quite an interesting point this. I know it's impossible to answer but I'd love to know how much of it all is known and how much of it is still to be heard, in percentage terms? You can listen to the opinions of recognised and respected authories on it like Tim or John Manship or John Anderson, but there's still no way of actually telling how much is out there, is there?

The never-ending quest for the next one, be it rare or otherwise, is all part of the integral fun of it I suppose and personally, though I suppose it's the same for most of us, the day we stop looking for the next great soul record it's time to jack it in!! ph34r.gif

Rodger,

Thanks for seeing my lad the other night. He'll never get near collecting them all, but I bet he has a bloody good try.

We can read all we want about Whitby and the bad side of the scene, but your kindness, and willingness to put yourself out as you did on Wednesday night shows just what a brilliant scene we have.

Guys like you, Dave Moore and Dave Fergie, who have GIVEN my lad records, CDs and kind advice, and the Rachels, Steve Cato's and the rest, who have driven him around, and looked after him in what can be an intimidating environment to newbies, have my full and total respect.

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Rodger,

Thanks for seeing my lad the other night. He'll never get near collecting them all, but I bet he has a bloody good try.

We can read all we want about Whitby and the bad side of the scene, but your kindness, and willingness to put yourself out as you did on Wednesday night shows just what a brilliant scene we have.

Guys like you, Dave Moore and Dave Fergie, who have GIVEN my lad records, CDs and kind advice, and the Rachels, Steve Cato's and the rest, who have driven him around, and looked after him in what can be an intimidating environment to newbies, have my full and total respect.

Brian, my pleasure mate, I was happy to give them to a good home. ph34r.gif

Roger

Social source share

Ed

Ed,

A good indication of how difficult this would be is the number of people John Manship needed to thanks for allowing him to scan records for his "Million Dollars of Rare Soul" book. From memory there are six or more serious collectors so even that 'limited' number of 45s needed a few collectors to cover them all.

My wants list is about twice the size of my collection and I have 35,000+ singles (mainly cheapies I hasten to add)

Social source share

Guest trickbag

the question no ones asked how many northern 45s are

there be they demos. stock copies.dj only,promos,

ect, then theirs lp only, what about undiscovered yet,

the list seems endless to me, anyone want to put a figure

on it, and didnt IL sell over 100,000,and still have a

great collection left.

ricky.

sock it to em shorty.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Impossible, not even worth trying, and if Tim is the nearnest to it, I have at least 3 records he hasn't got, and I dare say that there are numerous other collectors out there who also have items Tim hasn't got or even seen.

Social source share

Impossible, not even worth trying, and if Tim is the nearnest to it, I have at least 3 records he hasn't got, and I dare say that there are numerous other collectors out there who also have items Tim hasn't got or even seen.

Know a fair few DJ's and collectors with records (lots of them) that as far as anyone knows are one-offs.

Social source share

It is impossible but what about someone having every Motown record or would that be like Northern soul impossible

practically impossible, sure it was Reg Bartlette who was acknowledged as having the most comprehensive Motown collection and sure he said it was impossible task cause of the amount of releases with several mixes. Heard a rumour he sold his collection to Berry Gordy.

Social source share

Tim Brown told me a few years ago that he wont have anything White or Latino in his collection so that leaves him out of it. Utopias and the Antiques on lasalle spring to mind

Which is, with all due respect to Mr Brown, wierd.

Social source share

I think, before you answer this one, you have to STRICTLY define "Northern Soul" and set some parameters. When does "Northern" end and Funk/R & B/Modern/Crossover/Blues/Jazz/Latin etc, etc begin, and from bitter experience of playing through piles & piles of odd "45's" what about all those 1,000's of "sort of Northern if you know what I mean" tracks that we all scratch our heads about. Pointless exercise, but on a positive note, how f***ing dull would it be if you were into a music that only had a finite number of items to collect, and listen to!

Des

Social source share

Ed

Impossible task,

but there is a guy in Japan, that is reconised to have the largest collection. He is the son of some major corporation executive, does nothing but collect, and has been doing it for about 30 years. Also there is a guy in Italy, who I have met, he was buying from John Anderson from almost the day he opened his doors, he buys the odd thing from me, but it is rare I have anything he hasn't already got and now days it is mainly CD's. He comes over every now and then, when I see him he will take a bunch of stuff and then search his data base on a lap top to see if he already has it. He was the one who told me about the Jap collector

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

ITS IMPOSSIBLE AND ALSO ABOUT YOUR FRAME OF REFERENCE.JUST BACK FROM STATES AND VISITED QUITE A FEW DEALERS ,NOW WHEN YOU GO THROUGH RACKS AND RACKS OF STUFF YOU JUST REALISE THAT THIS IS A NEVER ENDING PIT.

ALOT OF DO WOP STUFF CAN LOOK INTERESTING TILL YOU PLAY THEM AND THEN DISCOVER THAT THERE ARE SHIT ,BUT I AM SURE THAT GIVEN TIME ALOT OF EARLY STUFF FROM THAT PERIOD WILL FILTER THROUGH TO THE SCENE AS THINKING AND VIEWS CHANGE.

BAZ A.

Social source share

you may have 3 that tim aint got but i bet hes got lots that you havent :yes:

Social source share

As far as Detroit stuff goes hasnt the London taxi Tom Credon driver got the most complete one and that is supposed to include punk as well.

Wouldnt mind the early D-town Punk meself whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky
you may have 3 that tim aint got but i bet hes got lots that you havent :D
100's of people have got stuff I haven't got, what's that got to do with it, I was just making the point that Tim hasn't got everything, I wasn't saying I have, silly reply my man. :(:yes:
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Which is, with all due respect to Mr Brown, wierd.

If Tim does work to that brief, well, he's not the only one. I can recall my old mate Tony Cummings being the same way in the early 70s. I was with TC when he deleted his collection of recordings by Ben Aiken (whose voice he adored) because he had heard a conclusive report that Ben was white. Turns out that the person who had given TC the info had confused Ben Aiken with Ben Atkins (who WAS white!) and thus Tony's enjoyment of the Loma/Philly Groove man was forever impaired...

I'm sure that Tim has at least a few honkies in his collection. He's a big deep soul fan, and I can't believe therefore that he wouldn't own records by Dan Penn and Eddie Hinton, for instance. He once told me that"Something I Never Had" by the VERY white Jerry Woodard, was among his favourite records, too...

TONE :yes:

Social source share

If Tim does work to that brief, well, he's not the only one. I can recall my old mate Tony Cummings being the same way in the early 70s. I was with TC when he deleted his collection of recordings by Ben Aiken (whose voice he adored) because he had heard a conclusive report that Ben was white. Turns out that the person who had given TC the info had confused Ben Aiken with Ben Atkins (who WAS white!) and thus Tony's enjoyment of the Loma/Philly Groove man was forever impaired...

I'm sure that Tim has at least a few honkies in his collection. He's a big deep soul fan, and I can't believe therefore that he wouldn't own records by Dan Penn and Eddie Hinton, for instance. He once told me that"Something I Never Had" by the VERY white Jerry Woodard, was among his favourite records, too...

TONE :yes:

We will , I believe, never know just how many records there are , and more so , how many more there are still to surface . The sheer beauty of this scene for me ( I am sure this is the case for many others ) , is the pleasure I get from listening to tunes that I did not know of ...... long may this be so .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!