Mary Love - Bitter Into Sweet

https://www.discogs.com/Mary-Love-You-Turned-My-Bitter-Into-Sweet-Im-In-Your-Hands/release/3333604

Does this link help?

Manship guide entry suggests its legitimate issue on Modern, but doesn't mention the 1965 King label release so I'm not sure if that's legitimate issue.

However, Manship states the Modern issue was also counterfeited with one that is hard to distinguish from original.

Original deadwax reads MM 1006 - 1 (with a gap each side of the dash) in contrast to the counterfeit which reads mm-1006-1 with a triangle within a circle mark and the etching is very light.

Social source share

Uk King is the real deal and tricky to get in minty fresh 

https://www.discogs.com/Mary-Love-You-Turned-My-Bitter-Into-Sweet-Im-In-Your-Hands/release/3333604

Does this link help?

Manship guide entry suggests its legitimate issue on Modern, but doesn't mention the 1965 King label release so I'm not sure if that's legitimate issue.

However, Manship states the Modern issue was also counterfeited with one that is hard to distinguish from original.

Original deadwax reads MM 1006 - 1 (with a gap each side of the dash) in contrast to the counterfeit which reads mm-1006-1 with a triangle within a circle mark and the etching is very light.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Jim

You're quite right, I just checked my guide to British releases and the King issue is both legitimate and hard to obtain.

Atb

Stu

Kind of bizarre one-off situation of King picking up the rights to a Modern record.  Modern had Modern Oldies Series, and Kent repressing their hits throughout the late '60s and early '70s.  I wonder when that King issue was pressed?  (end of the 1970s?)

Social source share

Kind of bizarre one-off situation of King picking up the rights to a Modern record.  Modern had Modern Oldies Series, and Kent repressing their hits throughout the late '60s and early '70s.  I wonder when that King issue was pressed?  (end of the 1970s?)

1965 according to the discography for the label. The label had no connection to the US one, simply being named after the owners - Rita and Benny King who I think were Jamaican and ran R&B Records (Rita&Benny, handy that...) and other ska labels.

Social source share

Robb the King issue is a UK label legitimate release.

Its has nothing to do with the U.S. label.

Social source share

In the late 70s/early 80s I actually found two copies in a shop in Norwalk, along with 6 copies of the Jackie Day Australian EP and some Spanish ZZ Hill and Etta James, obviously the library copies from the legitimate licensees chucked out by Modern at some stage.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!