Rose Marie Mccoy Rip Via Lenny Welch

Don't know if this is the right place to put but thought it might be of interest

Statement from Lenny:

I just found out that my dear friend Rose Marie McCoy passed this week. She produced several of my recordings ; one of them was "BREAKING UP IS HARD TO DO" . Together we wrote "A HUNDRED POUNDS OF PAIN" wish is very popular in England . Rose was a very famous song writer , some of the people she wrote hits for included Nat Cole and Elvis. I will miss her dearly

Social source share

I have just edited the title so it informs people  a bit better

Sad news 

Rose Marie McCoy has had a fair few mentions on here over the years

Rob Thomas, Steve Green and Andy Rix may be able to pass on a more site orientated slant with info on things like the visits to her house, the discovery of 'switch around', her version of I still remember the feeling etc

A more mainstream take can be read here 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Marie_McCoy

thanks for passing on

• Helpful 1
Social source share

RIP

I had breakfast with Arlene Corsano back in 2013 while I was on tour in the US who had been working with Rose Marie to get her recognised in some sort of Hall of Fame & I think prepare a biography with her.  We talked about how many songs she had written & how wide-ranging her credits were.  I didn't get to meet Rose Marie (Arlene also worked for Baby Washington & Maxine Brown, so this was with them) but she sounded like an incredible story.  

Edited by Kris Holmes
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

This is sad news indeed ... Rose was a wonderful woman. Her contribution to the evolution of R&B was immense and the stories she told from those days were fascinating. I'm so pleased that I got to spend time with her on a couple of record buying trips.

Her basement was crammed with 45s and she was kind enough to let Rob Thomas and I purchase things from her but she was never keen to let us play through a massive pile of acetates. mostly without labels, that looked as if they dated from the 50s onwards.

She had this enormous chest full of lyric & music sheets that she said were her original charts for just about everything she'd written. I didn't get chance to go through it properly but I'm sure it would have included the songs that Elvis recorded as well as those that have been played on the Soul scene .... 'Spellbound' (Tamiko Jones), 'Can't Shake It Lose' (Pat Lewis), 'The Thrill Of Loving You' (Jimmy Radcliffe), I Remember The Feeling' (Barbara Lewis) amongst many others

She also co-wrote a song with Dorian Burton called 'Just Not The Marrying Kind' which got extensive plays off acetate credited to Keni Lewis. When I first talked to Rose about it she thought it might be Larry Reynolds on vocal but upon hearing it she said it wasn't him ... sadly she could never recall who the singer was.

She will be sadly missed but I am happy that I have some great memories to remember her by

R.I.P Rose

Andy

Edited by Andy Rix
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 5 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!