Steve G

Apple

Thoughts on their profit £12B in one quarter, the largest profit for any company in history?

Their growth is coming from developing markets so is it fair, or is it a symbol that we're all being ripped off by overly expensive products?

Ripped off on excessively expensive kit which isn't even all that great unless you're a techie/designer type. My last i-phone fell apart almost to the minute 2 years was up and I'm convinced the things are designed for just that. Too invasive for me too. Plus they probably don't pay much tax either.

OK Apple assassination done for the day now......

Ian D :)

Guest clanger v2

Thoughts on their profit £12B in one quarter, the largest profit for any company in history?

Their growth is coming from developing markets so is it fair, or is it a symbol that we're all being ripped off by overly expensive products?

I don't think it matters what market it's coming from, to make £12B in profit proves that you're ripping the backside out of your customers.

Are there any reports which show the profit %?

Ive been an apple user since the early 9ts, so I guess I'm what they term 'core customer' and I love their products.

The only issue Ive had in the last year is their software updates, their OSX Yosemite wasn't the earth shattering operating system they promised, its ok, but I preferred Mavericks to be honest.

But the one big issue Ive had is their iSO 8 release, for i-Phone and i-Pad, what they didn't tell everybody was its drain on memory, ie it needs a certain amount of RAM to Run effectively, especially for i-Phone 4 and 5c and s users...  so effectively those with a std 16Gb phone or i- pad had real problems running it, you cant go back either to the earlier iSO7, they generally leave a window of 14 or so days where you can reinstall when they release a new operating system, but once thats closed they wont support it, so users have been stuck with iSO8.

Insult to injury, everybody was waiting for the last update to clear matters up, and it tuned out to be in the main, a bit of tinkering to do with i-Tuners, which has left me wondering whether to switch..

that was until yesterday when I re-newed my -iPhone contract, I was going to stick with a 5s, but the 6 kept winking at me and I eventually went for a 128GB version in Gold, BLING with Power..

Bloody Mug...

Mal;_)

If you compare the price of say a 16GB Apple product with a 32GB product, not a great amount of memory increase by today's standards, but one big price hike which just cannot be justified given the low price of solid state memory. I use a Lenovo Yoga 2 10" tablet which has expandable memory as well as 16GB built in, and a sim card slot and only cost me £200. Apple will never fit SD card slots to their products because they prefer to rip the customer off.

Edited by Steve S 60

iTunes is so bad now as to be almost unuseable, every time they update it, they make it less user friendly

It seems like iTunes now wants to steer the user onto the Apple Store at every turn. Oh, we've noticed you've got that track on your iPod. Here's some more by the same artist that you might like to download from us for a vastly inflated price.

It seems like iTunes now wants to steer the user onto the Apple Store at every turn. Oh, we've noticed you've got that track on your iPod. Here's some more by the same artist that you might like to download from us for a vastly inflated price.

Wasting their time with me then, I've got 44,947 tracks in mine at the moment and haven't paid for one of them!  (Well apart from the ones I ripped from cd's I'd bought)

Wasting their time with me then, I've got 44,947 tracks in mine at the moment and haven't paid for one of them!  (Well apart from the ones I ripped from cd's I'd bought)

Ditto. Got about 20,000 tracks and I own the CDs or vinyl that 99% of them were ripped from. The other 1% came from your good self.

Ditto. Got about 20,000 tracks and I own the CDs or vinyl that 99% of them were ripped from. The other 1% came from your good self.

I honestly don't know how much I've got Steve apart from what it shows me on the itunes library on this mac - I have a windows one with about 30,000 tracks but I did them off a back up I made in 2012 so they might be a lot different to the latest one - then I have a hard drive with nothing but about 10,000 reggae tracks on - but who can honestly say that they can control that amount of stuff...

Ive been an apple user since the early 9ts, so I guess I'm what they term 'core customer' and I love their products.

The only issue Ive had in the last year is their software updates, their OSX Yosemite wasn't the earth shattering operating system they promised, its ok, but I preferred Mavericks to be honest.

But the one big issue Ive had is their iSO 8 release, for i-Phone and i-Pad, what they didn't tell everybody was its drain on memory, ie it needs a certain amount of RAM to Run effectively, especially for i-Phone 4 and 5c and s users...  so effectively those with a std 16Gb phone or i- pad had real problems running it, you cant go back either to the earlier iSO7, they generally leave a window of 14 or so days where you can reinstall when they release a new operating system, but once thats closed they wont support it, so users have been stuck with iSO8.

Insult to injury, everybody was waiting for the last update to clear matters up, and it tuned out to be in the main, a bit of tinkering to do with i-Tuners, which has left me wondering whether to switch..

that was until yesterday when I re-newed my -iPhone contract, I was going to stick with a 5s, but the 6 kept winking at me and I eventually went for a 128GB version in Gold, BLING with Power..

Bloody Mug...

Mal;_)

I have no idea what you just said. Lol.I've got an airbook thing,but don't use it for other than basics.Like my phone,like ipads.Like the look of the new Sphere.

Edited by KevH

I don't think it matters what market it's coming from, to make £12B in profit proves that you're ripping the backside out of your customers.

Are there any reports which show the profit %?

I love Apple products but yep at £12B profit for 3 months, they must be charging too much. Simple economics to me….

Apple have had record breaking sales on the back of the profit.  They are now the leading phone supplier in China!  Yes their products, imacs, macbooks are more expensive than those with a windows operating system but the hardware is far superior, even for everyday use, in my experience.  The phones, the cost is pretty comparable to top of e range samsung, smae as tablets.  But there are cheaper options, no one forces anyone to buy an apple product.  

You are only getting ripped off if you have no alternative.

A year ago had to replace both my desktop and portable so had the ideal opportunity to move over to Apple. I really agonised over it. Really liked the idea of an all-in-one which is obviously what the iMacs are. Right at the limit of my budget but decided I could just stretch to it.

In the end it came down to one stupid thing. Screen size. Smallest screen for the iMac = 21.5in. I kept going back to the Apple shop and in the end decided sorry - just too big. If that is on my desk gonna annoy me every day I look at it.

In the end found the Sony Viao with 19in screen. Not regretted it yet but will now probably never have the full Apple experience. And all over the size of the stupid screen!

Somebody will doubtless come on now and tell me how I could have got round it. Go on make my day. :D

A year ago had to replace both my desktop and portable so had the ideal opportunity to move over to Apple. I really agonised over it. Really liked the idea of an all-in-one which is obviously what the iMacs are. Right at the limit of my budget but decided I could just stretch to it.

In the end it came down to one stupid thing. Screen size. Smallest screen for the iMac = 21.5in. I kept going back to the Apple shop and in the end decided sorry - just too big. If that is on my desk gonna annoy me every day I look at it.

In the end found the Sony Viao with 19in screen. Not regretted it yet but will now probably never have the full Apple experience. And all over the size of the stupid screen!

Somebody will doubtless come on now and tell me how I could have got round it. Go on make my day. :D

Yes you could've bought a mac mini and a monitor :D

I actually prefer the larger screen.

Edited by chalky

Yes you could've bought a mac mini and a monitor :D

I actually prefer the larher screen.

Chalky, Thanks for your comment and do you know thinking back that alternative WAS actually somewhere in the mix at one point. But me being a bit of a simpleton couldn't decide if there would be full compatibility between the mini and the monitor and decided I couldn't cope with the hassle.

In the end I was about 5 minutes away from my head exploding and making a horrible mess of the living room so I plumped for the easy option.

Wonderful irony that after all the months of agonising 2 weeks after I went for a Sony they decided to pull out of the computer market! :D Still I've had a trouble free year out of it so far and fingers crossed for the future.

Edited by MBarrett

iTunes is so bad now as to be almost unuseable, every time they update it, they make it less user friendly

I've got used to it now.  I miss itunes DJ, not the same on shuffle for some reason.

Have you got genius turned on?  I honestly never get directed to the store, only go there when I want.

Have you got genius turned on?  I honestly never get directed to the store, only go there when I want.

I've not noticed any improvement in Genius since they first started it, if I do a 100 item playlist based on say a track by Elvis Costello, it'll pick the same things everytime, this is despite me submitting details of thousands of tracks to their database, it never seems to show different results, clever as it is

duplicate finder, I'd suggest Mac Doctor, but that program turned out to be well dodgy so I got rid of it, this article outlined the issues.. http://www.reedcorner.net/?p=245

Ive got something somewhere Pete, I'll find and post it up...  I would suggest the following for your security needs for OSX though, first is just for Adware alone, second will find both, but the first allows you to get rid in the correct way, you cant just hit delete with these things, It has to be removed across all the files the Malware leaves on your machine..

Adware Medic

Clam Xav

And this is a really useful site if your an Apple user, everything you want to know across all the products, wort's and all...

Mac Rumors

Mal

Edited by Mal C

Same as you Mal, I've been using their products for 25 years.

They are where they are for a reason, and that's good & clever design, quality originally & then the iPod changed the game for them when they cornered the download market.

These days 60% of all sales is with iPhone this is not ideal having most of their eggs in one basket as consumer habits change and you have to stay ahead of the game, which they usually do.

Mac sales are up, the new Mac Pro I use at work is superb, beats any desktop on the planet hands down.

iPad sales are down, I wonder if they will retreat from this market?

The iWatch launches soon, could be a winner too.

Apple don't do badly do they?

The fist Mac I worked on was an Mac SE30, 4mb ram & a 40mb HD, how times have changed.

I remember plenty of failed products, before jobs came back like the duo dock, they even licenced their OS too be cloned too, not many will remember that as most people were drooling over Windows then.

I do believe, like anything, success & domination can make you stale & I waiting to see some real design innovation with a new product like say a an Apple television or something, the suits seem to have them play safe these days, I suppose because so much is at stake.

Edited by MrsWoodsrules

Oh and if I only I could find a really good duplicate finder

I now have 61,000 in itunes and no duplicates, I used tunesweeper. I can't really recommend it because I had to run it repeatedly and it involved a a fair bit of manual selection, but it did the job.

Most top end electrical items are marked up massively compared to the actual cost. Dre Beats (or whatever they are called) headphones, funnily enough now owned by apple, cost 47p to make according to an article I read and sell for around £150.  They aren't even the best just clever marketing.  Same for apple although they have the product to back up the marketing.  Of course the profit is obscene but they have products millions want and are willing to pay that bit extra.  As for tax, the blame to some extent, well a lot, has to lay at the feet of the government for not closing the loopholes.  

It's brilliant marketing and smart sales practice. Combined with superb products.

Exactly the same as the German car industry. Go and try and buy a discounted German car. Yet everyone aspires to own one.

Since I have been in retail, I hate the big online retailers. Why do they want to sell goods and make nothing on them? They just want to put everyone else out of business. If all the manufacturers were like Apple and said, if you want to sell our products then you sell them at the recommended retail price. It would rescue our retail sector overnight, andgive a huge boost to the manufacturers.

I love Apple products. As soon as you get your hands on one it feels very special.

I have never had one of their phones though. I can't afford that kind of money just for the very rare occaision that I get a call. Billy no mates. But having said that I would have one if I had the money.

It's brilliant marketing and smart sales practice. Combined with superb products.

Exactly the same as the German car industry. Go and try and buy a discounted German car. Yet everyone aspires to own one.

Since I have been in retail, I hate the big online retailers. Why do they want to sell goods and make nothing on them? They just want to put everyone else out of business. If all the manufacturers were like Apple and said, if you want to sell our products then you sell them at the recommended retail price. It would rescue our retail sector overnight, andgive a huge boost to the manufacturers.

I love Apple products. As soon as you get your hands on one it feels very special.

I have never had one of their phones though. I can't afford that kind of money just for the very rare occaision that I get a call. Billy no mates. But having said that I would have one if I had the money.

That's s good assessment Quinvy.

The clever part about what Apple do is to seemlessly intergrate the new with a simplistic in intuitive interface.

Can't just knock em for making profit, however obscene the amount, I do remember them making losses.

But they need to keep innovating rather than playing safe.

I predict them taking over the home tv market, I know the bought Loewe, a high end German tv manufacturer & they bought the company that came up with the kinect & gesture recognition, put 2+2 together and it just a matter of time they take on Samsung.

Am I the only person who thinks that the i-phone is a bad design? As I said earlier, I'm sure that Apple have a planned obsolescence policy which was demonstrated by the way my phone basically imploded in every way as it got to 2 years old. Very weird.

Surely, with something like a mobile phone, it would be better to make it more durable and not so easy to break? Mobile phones will inevitably get dropped, fall out of pockets or fall of tables every now and then. Having a phone that is almost designed to crack if one of these things happen seems a weird way to go unless, of course, you control the repair facility.  :thumbsup:

I wish I had a quid for every person I see daily who has a cracked screen or shattered phone. I don't know how they get away with it.

I switched to a Samsung which seems much more durable but the jury is still out on battery life!  :g:

Ian D  :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst

Am I the only person who thinks that the i-phone is a bad design? As I said earlier, I'm sure that Apple have a planned obsolescence policy which was demonstrated by the way my phone basically imploded in every way as it got to 2 years old. Very weird.

Surely, with something like a mobile phone, it would be better to make it more durable and not so easy to break? Mobile phones will inevitably get dropped, fall out of pockets or fall of tables every now and then. Having a phone that is almost designed to crack if one of these things happen seems a weird way to go unless, of course, you control the repair facility.  :thumbsup:

I wish I had a quid for every person I see daily who has a cracked screen or shattered phone. I don't know how they get away with it.

I switched to a Samsung which seems much more durable but the jury is still out on battery life!  :g:

The only Apple product I've owned is the iPod Classic, which regularly freezes, only to continue playing after about a second. Possible hard drive problem? My kids have had numerous Apple devices including iPod Touch, iPad and iPhone. None of the iPod Touches have lasted more than a couple of years. Certainly not built to last, and most come with built in obsolescence. When my Classic finally gives up the ghost, I'll have to look beyond Apple for a replacement as they've discontinued it. Probably because it isn't reliant on the App Store so the cost of ownership is zilch, compared to their other devices.

I've got used to it now.  I miss itunes DJ, not the same on shuffle for some reason.

I've got close to 7,000 tracks in iTunes and generally play them on shuffle. Not so long ago I looked at play counts and found that something like 2,300 songs had never been played at all!

Shuffle, my @rse!

I've got iPhone 6 can't fault it brilliant

Played with one the other day. A sort of mini i-pad really. I love Apple stuff when it comes out of the box but it's the long haul that worries me. I'll check back in 18 months Ted...... :)

Played with one the other day. A sort of mini i-pad really. I love Apple stuff when it comes out of the box but it's the long haul that worries me. I'll check back in 18 months Ted...... :)

Yep you are a bit like me on that front, I only just recently upgraded from an iPhone 3 which I have had since 2010. I now have a 5S from EE - they wanted too much for a 6. Crazy price.

I have had a 4 a 5 and now a 5S Also ipad 2 we have a Mac my wife has an iPad mini and will soon have a 6 I also have a laptop which I hate it's slow clunky and horrible hate windows find it hard to work. Of all the apple stuff we have we have had no problems.

Edited by mark b

My old iphone 3gs is still running perfectly, our lass uses it now, I'n on 4s which is two years old, not a mark on it.  Young un 4 which is even older and still working.  Two ipads, ipad mini, ipod touch, two ipod nanos, ipod classic, all in fine fettle.  Must be the clumsy buggers who keep breaking them :D. I've had a samsung and android it was terrible.  Most of the decent functions are copied from apple and I've seen more cracked screens on samsungs than any iphones.  I don't know how ellie's boyfriend can see for all the cracks. 

I will never have an android system or a windows system again because the OS and software just doesn't compare not to mention the hardware.

Edited by chalky

My old iphone 3gs is still running perfectly, our lass uses it now, I'n on 4s which is two years old, not a mark on it.  Young un 4 which is even older and still working.  Two ipads, ipad mini, ipod touch, two ipod nanos, ipod classic, all in fine fettle.  Must be the clumsy buggers who keep breaking them :D. I've had a samsung and android it was terrible.  Most of the decent functions are copied from apple and I've seen more cracked screens on samsungs than any iphones.  I don't know how ellie's boyfriend can see for all the cracks. 

I will never have an android system or a windows system again because the OS and software just doesn't compare not to mention the hardware.

I bought the kids Samsung tablets running android and they couldn't get used to them, so I sold them and bought them iPads instead.

I also have to add one iPod nano to my Apple collection.

I have to say that selling my first Mac was the worst thing I ever did, I hate the fact that they don't come with a cd/dvd drive now.

I bought the kids Samsung tablets running android and they couldn't get used to them, so I sold them and bought them iPads instead.

I also have to add one iPod nano to my Apple collection.

I have to say that selling my first Mac was the worst thing I ever did, I hate the fact that they don't come with a cd/dvd drive now.

That's why I bought the old MacBook Pro before they upgraded it Pete. I wanted the driver. I wanted to buy your old Mac but I wasn't fast enough and someone else beat me to it. Story of my life.

When we started out in print business 20 odd years ago, we specialised in large format graphics and all the print machines then were run through windows based software so we went with PCs, and we have stuck with windows ever since. 2 years ago bought my lad an iPad air, our first Apple product and it really was a revelation and so easy to use. For example, we were on holiday over Christmas, half way through my lad said, oh!, I need to do a leaflet to hand in at college on our return, so he used one of the templates in the pages app, and it's a doddle creating leaflets etc, especially as your using your fingers to place and resize pictures etc.

By far the easiest computer I have used, and I hear that Apple are bringing out a larger tablet aimed at the design/professional market which may be worth looking at, as long as it's not mega expensive.

Their iOS.8 upgrade has wrecked my £499 iPad 2nd Gen. They failed to contact me on 3 scheduled calls to assist with addressing this and they avoid paying tax.

Fair to say not my favourite company. You think with that level of profit they might consider paying a fair share of tax.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.