MBarrett

Clacton - Thoughts ? - Split From Orig Thread

Sorry slightly off topic but you guys who go to the Monumental weekender what do you think of Clacton as a town.

I grew up there and still have family there. Been to a few British resorts that are badly run down but I think that Clacton is holding up pretty well. Nice gardens on the front. Beach and pier in good order. Very few empty shops in the town.

But if you think it's rubbish don't hold back. :D

We chose Clacton for our weekend for some of the reasons you've already mentioned.

It does look very nice in the Summer when the sea front gardens are in full bloom and is not called the Sunshine Coast for nothing. In fact the sun has shone brightly for every event we've had there! 

It has blue flag beaches, a decent pier still and enough decent places to eat. Of course it has small issues with drunks and drugs, but I think that's common place pretty much everywhere isn't it?

I think it certainly holds up against most other coastal resorts   

We chose Clacton for our weekend for some of the reasons you've already mentioned.

It does look very nice in the Summer when the sea front gardens are in full bloom and is not called the Sunshine Coast for nothing. In fact the sun has shone brightly for every event we've had there! 

It has blue flag beaches, a decent pier still and enough decent places to eat. Of course it has small issues with drunks and drugs, but I think that's common place pretty much everywhere isn't it?

I think it certainly holds up against most other coastal resorts   

Was a bit defensive in my post but agree with you 100%. Clacton on a sunny summer day is most definitely a nice place to be.

My one brother never left. Sister has moved back down there. So that must say something. :)

Wish you the best of luck into the future. :thumbup:

I've attended three of the MonuMental weekenders. Prior to my first one I'd not been to Clacton for ages. I was most pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. The weather did help as it always does in the UK. A lot of weekenders are held in seaside resorts that are a bit past their best, won't name them, but Clacton is okay. I don't know what it'd be like to live there, not sure of employment situation. 

not sure of employment situation. 

That's not brilliant Geoff. Used to be some light industry but most of that gone now. Tourist trade obviously way down from what I remember in the 50s and 60s. But still holding its own.

Colchester, Chelmsford and even London commutable by train. My sister doing the latter at the moment.

For a few years now they have had a 2 day air show in August which is very popular. Just saw the other day that they are going to start following it with a 2 day food fair. So all positive stuff.

Thanks to the Monumental guys and all those attending for doing their bit for the town.

Edited by MBarrett

Went to Clacton a couple of years back for the day and was surprised how nice it was. In an age where many British seaside towns feel grim and unloved there was a real sense of civic pride. We got there early and it even looked like the sand on the beach near the pier had been raked over! Attention to detail!

my bro had one of them sun £9.50 holidays at clacton,he and his family had a great time,said he would deffo go back

jason

As Tsu said above it's called the Sunshine Coast and I read somewhere that it's got it's own little micro climate. It's on the East Coast but faces due south so it gets the sun on the beach all day and is protected from the force of the easterly winds. I think it holds it's own fairly well against Devon and Cornwall.  

Promise I'm not on the payroll of Clacton Council or Monumental. :D Just lots of great memories of growing up there as a kid.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.