John Manship Auction Results 28 -1 - 2015

JOE TORQUAY

9656_1sm.jpg9656_1sm.jpg9656_2sm.jpg
Spider Turner I've Got To Get Myself Together C/w Where I See You Baby

The versatile Mr. Turner with his most-wanted 45 that has recently exploded into being one of the biggest dancefloor pleasers on the Northern Soul circuit.

Currently enjoying massively enthusiastic response, on the back of more concentrated DJ plays than it received in past years.

Listen to the rather slick arrangement, as the girl-group chirps away in the background complimenting Spyder’s rich vocal, giving up flawless mid-tempo Northern Soul with the addictive qualities that made some of the greats of this pace so very valuable.

Bobby Kline, Tommy Ridgley, quickly jump to mind as comparison’s of this increasingly popular NS style. This 45 is on a steep climb, the NS G-Force will no doubt take it’s demand higher and higher.. maybe into another stratosphere.

Flipside ain’t bad either..

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 1,263.00

9640_1sm.jpg9640_1sm.jpg9640_2sm.jpg
Creations Unlimited Corruption Is The Thing C/w Chrystal Illusion

Over the last few years, many of Europe’s more upfront Rare Soul Jock’s leanings towards the funkier production, has suddenly toppled over into a raging lust to find the rarest 45s with Funk driven productions. This extremely rare Cleveland crafting sits tightly into that genre.

With the bonus of a “DJ SHADOW” break at the beginning.

The obscure but defectively christened “Soul Kitchen” street-label again serves up a proper “Ghetto” recording. A defiant vocal punches daylight into a WahWah and cowbell mix. Electric “Black funk at its most demonstrative.

Flip it over the band are still on the same quest.. to destroy with bad-attitude guitar playing, whipping up an orgy of twitching plectrums..

You gotta just love these tiny Soul labels - offering up uniquely formulated Black Music..

The winning bid was £ 655.00

9657_1sm.jpg9657_1sm.jpg9657_2sm.jpg
Empires You're On Top Girl C/w Slide On By

Seems like it’s been an absolute age, since we’ve been able to list this Northern Soul trophy-piece, 6 years to be precise

James Chavis certainly knew how to craft superior vocal-group Northern Soul has proven on a number of occasions on his Chavis / Candi stable of labels. But all but a few are ridiculously hard to acquire this example being the toughest!

Ironic as it is also in our eyes and many other his finest work.

Nothing short of Northern Soul brilliance, as the group weave a vocal tapestry through a piano and hammond arrangement crafting an overwhelmingly fine harmony dancer. The interchanging vocal pitches, change in lead and back again and the falsetto intervention provides the listener with one of the finest vocal-group performances to ever be aired on the Northern Soul circuit.

Truly scintillating vocals…

The flip is obviously not as good but acts as a good diversion from the inspiraionally flawless top side.

The winning bid was £ 2,021.00

9658_1sm.jpg9658_1sm.jpg9658_2sm.jpg
Martha Reeves No One There C/w (i've Given You) The Best Years Of My Life

Comfortably sitting at the top of the most-popular Tamla Motown NS 45s, with the added attraction, that it never received a USA release as a 45.

Shimmering with everything required for the Northern Soul girl-dancer to become “lost” in - an exquisite mid-tempo from the desk of the great Johnny Bristol carrying a guarantee to swell the “floor” …

But in this case as a flawless 1971 DEMO, it will also turn heads as it spins..

Musically and visually - gorgeous!

The winning bid was £ 348.00

9659_1sm.jpg9659_1sm.jpg9659_2sm.jpg
Us Everyday People Without Your Sweet Loving C/w You're The One For Me

MOTOWN MOONLIGHTING?

For this weeks under-the-radar Northern Soul rarity to consider, we go to Detroit, to the label that provided the Northern Soul collector with that fine but “undervalued” 45 by Tony Birchett - Don’t Put Out The Fire & also offering the Detroit collector the only other known “Reggie Alexander” 45.

Making this mostly “unknown” example huge validation as a Motor City rarity. Not overlooking the fact that this 45 is riddled with Motown connections. Both sides are JOBETTE Music guided by two Motown stalwarts Clarence Paul & Morris Broadnax - and it shows as both sides IMHO are fabulous.

The side we lead with is a horn-powered mid-tempo Northern Soul Crossover groove benefiting from the pairings Motown apprenticeship, with a strong “Stevie Wonder” inspired lead vocal, shrill mixed-vocal-group chorus makes for a smooth fluid NS dancer…

Flip it over to be treated for an extraordinary downbeat experience, moody, mysterious mood-changer that builds skyward on a wave of vocals and horns… listen and melt!!

Two killer tunes one extremely rare disc..dripping with potential.

A few insignificant light surface marks but not one affecting play in any way.. 

The winning bid was £ 212.00

9647_1sm.jpg9647_1sm.jpg9647_2sm.jpg
Muriel Day Nine Times Out Of Ten

Love it or hate it - nobody can deny this was a countrywide “Bomb” during the mid to late 70s, causing unprecedented dance floor gridlock!

This promo copy is flawless throughout

The winning bid was £ 160.00

9660_1sm.jpg9660_1sm.jpg9660_2sm.jpg
Patti Austin (i've Given) All My Love C/w Why Can't We Try Again

This week’s “Black Is Beautiful” is a real gem, from this teenage Princesses of Northern Soul.

Here is Patti with her last 45 for Coral under direction from Fred Tanner, she steps up into a finger-clicking brass filled dancer; that elegantly twists, jumps and turns its was through 2.24 minutes of self assured Northern Soul, with Patti belying her tender 16 years of age, delivering a mature confident performance backed up by a full orchestra.

Just like many of Patti Coral sessions, the flipside is also strong mid-60s Soul dance.. but as we all known, the extra value of this 45 is its rarity as a black stock copy in such glorious condition. 

Irresistible…

The winning bid was £ 236.00

9661_1sm.jpg9661_1sm.jpg9661_2sm.jpg
Horizon Give It Up C/w You Went Away

Here’s a 45 you seldom see on the market…

One that slots straight into today’s FUNK infused Soul dance genre.. with a flipside which will “wow” the Sweet Soul fan.

Topside is in the style being preferred by some of the countrys Top Jocks of the day. Soul spiked with FUNK is the flavour of the time; so check out this buoyant dance tune, as the gathering mix chants, shouts and smooth vocals into this persistent dance groove, peaking with an highly skilled jazzy guitar break.

Flip it over to absorb a gathering begging and pleading with silky vocals, decorated by an equally luxurious backing arrangement pierced by an icy-cold falsetto, a truly Soulful stepper from the top-drawer.

This listing is an Auction debutante and is very rarely seen in any condition; But it is so important with Sweet Soul ballads, that the sound is not compromised by surface marks - as you can hear this 45 plays flawless..

Again two stand-out sides… that warrant serious consideration.

The winning bid was £ 171.00

9646_1sm.jpg9646_1sm.jpg9646_2sm.jpg
Earl Jackson Soul Self Satisfaction

Hard-line Northern Soul, totally uncompromising, relentless dancefloor demolishing “stomper” that has graced the turntables of every iconic Northern Soul club since the early 70s.

Even today, guaranteed to bring the most-skillful NS dancers to the floor, for a grand-showing of splits, spins, drops, kicks… driven by mesmerizing footwork. This Chicago born masterclass in Northern Soul, really does get the most-proficient dancers up and off their seats.

Johnny Pate’s project with the mysterious Earl Jackson leaves nothing to chance, as it frantically builds note by note into a maelstrom of NORTHERN SOUL !

Before you today is the rarely seen, extremely rare West Coast PROMO press delta # 73131 in totally immaculate condition because it arrived straight from the USA, avoiding 40+ years of Northern Soul “devotion”.

The winning bid was £ 623.00

9645_1sm.jpg9645_1sm.jpg9645_2sm.jpg
Spirits Touch Expressions Of Love C/w Boogie Child

RARE, RARE Sweet Soul backed up with a Boogie Groove on this perhaps unique ATI test press.

Sweeter than sweet, harmony ballad led by a laid-back horizontal lead vocal who’s unhurried deliver marries perfectly with the jazzy arrangement. Sultry sax wails away in a distant background, with fine guitar improvisation com,pliments the harmony group chorus welding the whole production together.

Seamlessly brilliant Sweet Soul.

Flip it over fir a Funk infused Boogie groove - which be of interest to European Boogie Buffs..

The winning bid was £ 37.00

9662_1sm.jpg9662_1sm.jpg9662_2sm.jpg9662_3sm.jpg9662_4sm.jpg
Blues & Soul No. 12 September 1968

Valentinos featured on the front cover - this autumn 1968 edition is rarely seen and packed full of interesting features.

Inc: Chicago Focus covering 8 Chess / Checker new releases.

Bio and artist picture of O. C. Smith

Bio & group photo of The Dells

Bio and artist picture of Vivian Reed

Bio and artist picture of Aaron Neville

Bio and artist picture of Sari and The Shalimars

Review of Temptations & Martha & The Vandellas Live in Long Island. artist picture of Dennis Edwards.

Rare Artist picture of the single release Lisa Richards

New release focus of USA Bell inc: Scotty Williams - Fear + 9 more

The winning bid was £ 13.00

9653_1sm.jpg9653_1sm.jpg9653_2sm.jpg
Kim Weston A Little More Love C/w Go Ahead And Laugh

in 1964 a strange chain of events gave birth to one of USA Tamla rarest 45s “A Little More Love” which was “withdrawn” from sale and replaced 4 releases later by “I’m Still Loving”

As far as we know, there is not even a “Promo” copy of Tamla 54106 in existence but a handful of stock copies certainly escaped the “crusher” because ewe have auction two in the last 20 years. So retaining the flipside “Go Ahead And Laugh” was issued as support to “I’m Still Loving You” Tamla 54110.

Tamla 54106 is a major gap in all but the very top Motown collections.

This UK press by a twist of fate was issued on the strength of Kim Weston’s momentous “stand-alone” performance singing “A Little More Love” on ATV “Ready Steady Go” - not that it enhanced sales - because this 45 too is more often than not a gap in UK Tamla Motown collections.

This copy as you can see and hear is in magnificent condition.

The winning bid was £ 105.00

9652_1sm.jpg9652_1sm.jpg9652_2sm.jpg
Billy Clark Too Bad - Too Sad C/w You'll Never Make It Alone

PROPER NORTHERN SOUL from Washington D.C.!

Click the soundfile - stand back, await the scorching lift-off, as an uncompromising Lonnie Brown & Larry Davis production jolts you straight into dance-mode, with saxophonist Billy Clark heading up the credits for the raucous recording!

Screeching Horns ignite visions of shiny-puffed-up cheeks, pumping the brass for all it’s worth. Leads vocal (Lonnie Brown) is just as convincing, direct, muscular and relentless. As he urgently pants out defiant lyrics after being “cheated” on and he’s in no mood for forgiveness.

For many decades now this has been recognized as the real-deal without ever reaching the heights a record of this quality warrants. The only reason I can think of, is not enough copies to go round the DJ’s, with the dearth stunting its exposure or is it the flipside having been gobbled up by those Japanese Deep Soul extremists.

PROPER DEEP SOUL!

Now flip it over for the second helping of Real-Deal Soul! That worldwide Deep Soul aficionados have been lauding over for the same amount of time. The horns fall into a sorrowful mood, the hammond drops down to a funeral paced whirring, the girls decorate Billy’s obvious grief with subtle despairing choruses.

This NORTHERN SOUL & DEEP SOUL at it’s very finest!

The winning bid was £ 199.00

9648_1sm.jpg9648_1sm.jpg9648_2sm.jpg
Jacki Bond Why Can't I Love Him

Extremely elusive British only 1966 Sister Northern Soul from the desk of Pam Sawyer & Lori Burton prolific USA pairing responsible for so many fine Northern Soul offerings.

Presumably Lionel Segal boss at Strike Records of London received one of those USA publishing promo acetates for his consideration; deciding on giving his secretary her second chance to make a name for herself, her first “Strike” 45 failing completely, sadly this one too, followed suit.

Sadly because the side we adore, was relegated to a flipside, even though it was a superior finger-clicking “Soul” inspired dance tune. With everything it takes to break through, perhaps an executive decision that cost “Strike” and Jackie Bond a more fruitful career.

Although Jacki’s “Soul” suited vocal, attracted interest from Larry Page’s “Page One” records where she once again released a “Soul” influenced dance tune “Billy Sunshine”, even with a change of name to “Judi Scott” she again failed to achieve sales.

Jacki Bond another worthy “British Soul” girl who carved out some great tunes in the 60s this one being not only her best, but also by far her rarest and most-wanted!

So now listen to, strong Northern Soul - British production, influenced by two stand-out Amercian writers, performed by a lady, who with a bit of luck could have become an household name.

The winning bid was £ 55.00

Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

don't think you'd get this for £75 anywhere but £1200 is too much defo more like £300

Phil you don't see it for sale these days classic oldie may be £400 tops

Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

Ha Ha, can't please everyone.

Sorry mate if i upset you , but i don't think i could even pay £65 pounds its  sounds very messy 

Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

I'd be asking £600 for a clean one set sale.

£75 is giving it away, obviously the seller was unaware of its real value and the JM price is exceptional.

Cheers Darren

I don't think it would sell for £600 may be £400 tops

Social source share

Sorry mate if i upset you , but i don't think i could even pay £65 pounds its  sounds very messy 

No problem, be boring if everyone liked the same records.

For me, it's by far the most interesting record on that auction, but then I'm not keen on that much Northern or Motown stuff...

and at least it keeps it more affordable if there are less people looking for it! 

Social source share

Crap record if your not into that style of music, but if you are, then it's a great double sider, which someone got for a great price, horses for courses, remember there are lots of us on here who like black music of all styles, not just NORTHERN SOUL :)

i agree.... while the flip `when i see you baby` is a bit to r n b for my ears i can see the appeal why others would love it

Social source share

i agree.... while the flip `when i see you baby` is a bit to r n b for my ears i can see the appeal why others would love it

Could be a mix up here.

I think the crap record that Arron Darcy mentioned is the Creations Unlimited.

The posts have got mixed up!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!