Any Album Experts On Here?

Been asked to post this up for a mate. He`s just come back from the states, where he bought a load of soul albums. One of the Albums is The Exciters-Caviar and chitlins, it`s a copy that's still sealed, but on the back in the top right hand corner of the rear of the sleeve, stamped into the cardboard it says for promotional use only? See attached pic. Now he wants to sell it on e-bay. Will it be a demo inside the sleeve? as he doesn't want to break the seal. Any help appreciated.

post-9749-0-76368100-1422474668_thumb.jp

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Harry

They appear now and again a few in the last few weeks but a promo I have never seen. Could try on here or f/b for offers first.

Best

Ian

Thanks Ian, he just wondered if it will be a demo inside the sleeve, like I said it`s still sealed and doesn't want to break the seal to have a look if you get my meaning.
Social source share

Harry

I would say that chances are, the album will be an issue

when I collected albums you found a lot of demo copies had a white sticker along the bottom of the sleeve (about 8" x 4")

this  sticker contained the track listing with times, credits etc.

the stamp on the picture was probably done as an afterthought when they were all pressed

that my view anyway

jim

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't remember seeing RCA LPs from this time with unique promo/demo labels. I've had many stamped LPs as shown above with standard issue labels. There could be an exception but I would not bet on it. The only promo label RCA LPs I remember were special promotional issues that were not available commercially.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Harry

I would say that chances are, the album will be an issue

when I collected albums you found a lot of demo copies had a white sticker along the bottom of the sleeve (about 8" x 4")

this  sticker contained the track listing with times, credits etc.

the stamp on the picture was probably done as an afterthought when they were all pressed

that my view anyway

jim

Your probably right Jim. Thanks for the reply.
Social source share

I don't remember seeing RCA LPs from this time with unique promo/demo labels. I've had many stamped LPs as shown above with standard issue labels. There could be an exception but I would not bet on it. The only promo label RCA LPs I remember were special promotional issues that were not available commercially.

Thanks George, it`s the first time ive seen it stamped into the cardboard like that, is it a common practice?.

Social source share

Been asked to post this up for a mate. He`s just come back from the states, where he bought a load of soul albums. One of the Albums is The Exciters-Caviar and chitlins, it`s a copy that's still sealed, but on the back in the top right hand corner of the rear of the sleeve, stamped into the cardboard it says for promotional use only? See attached pic. Now he wants to sell it on e-bay. Will it be a demo inside the sleeve? as he doesn't want to break the seal. Any help appreciated.

attachicon.gif$_57 (2).jpg

Harry, my copy - which was sealed - has the same stamped promo sleeve , only stamped across the opposite corner (on the opening).  Its is more fainter than the one you have posted.   It is an issue - with no indication of promo on the actual record!

Lovely album mind inc the great crossover version of 'You Got Me'

Mike

ps I'm always interested in sealed copies - so if he listing any of the lot he brought back - give me  shout!

Edited by Mike Lofthouse
Social source share

Harry, yes, this was common on all kinds of RCA LPs, I have/had ones from David Bowie, Lou Reed, Elvis, New Birth, Main Ingredient, etc, for their promo LPs. RCA promo LPs could also have a squarish white sticker on the front, about 3"square, listing the LP as a promo with track listings and timing.

Thanks George, it`s the first time ive seen it stamped into the cardboard like that, is it a common practice?.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Harry, yes, this was common on all kinds of RCA LPs, I have/had ones from David Bowie, Lou Reed, Elvis, New Birth, Main Ingredient, etc, for their promo LPs. RCA promo LPs could also have a squarish white sticker on the front, about 3"square, listing the LP as a promo with track listings and timing.

Thanks for the info George.

Social source share

Harry, my copy - which was sealed - has the same stamped promo sleeve , only stamped across the opposite corner (on the opening).  Its is more fainter than the one you have posted.   It is an issue - with no indication of promo on the actual record!

Lovely album mind inc the great crossover version of 'You Got Me'

Mike

ps I'm always interested in sealed copies - so if he listing any of the lot he brought back - give me  shout!

Thanks Mike, if you want to pm me your e-mail address I`ll pass it on for you.
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!